Isiolo International Airport
|Airport type||Public, Civilian|
|Owner||Kenya Airports Authority|
|Elevation AMSL||3,501 ft / 1,067 m|
Isiolo Airport is located on the border of Isiolo, in Isiolo County with half of the runway extending into Meru County. Its location is approximately 283 kilometres (176 mi), by road, and about 200 kilometres (120 mi), by air, north-east of Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, the country's largest civilian airport. The airport sits on a piece of land that measures 260 hectares (642 acres) and its passenger terminal building measures 4,500 square metres (48,438 sq ft). The geographic coordinates of this airport are:0° 20' 37.00"N, 37° 35' 16.00"E (Latitude:0.343610; Longitude:37.587778).
Isiolo Airport is a civilian airport, serving Isiolo, Meru and surrounding communities. Situated at 1,067 metres (3,501 ft) above sea level, the airport has a single asphalt runway 16/34 that measures 5,000 feet (1,500 m) long. In February 2013, Kenyan media reports indicated that the airport was undergoing renovations and improvements to International status. The improvements, at an estimated cost of US$11 million (KES:900 million), include lengthening the runway to 2,500 metres (8,200 ft). The renovations are expected to conclude in the second half of 2016. Official opening of the renovated facility is scheduled for January 2017.
Airlines and destinations
No airlines fly to Isiolo as of 2014, but the airport is being expanded. Isiolo is planning to become a resort city in Kenya, which would motivate airlines to fly here in the future. As of January 2018, according to the Airport manager, Mohamed Lippi, only one airline, Fly Sax Airlines, was operating from this airport, offering passenger flights only.
- Jebet, Vivian (18 January 2018). "Governor says Isiolo Airport is underutilised, requires upgrade". Business Daily Africa. Nairobi. Retrieved 18 January 2018.
- Google (29 September 2016). "Location of Isiolo Airport" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- Globefeed.com (29 September 2016). "Distance between Jomo Kenyatta International Airport, Nairobi, Kenya and Isiolo Airport, Isiolo, Kenya". Globefeed.com. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- Jebet, Vivian (15 June 2017). "Isiolo airport to start operations in two weeks". Business Daily Africa. Nairobi. Retrieved 15 June 2017.
- Google (29 September 2016). "The Geographical Coordinates of Isiolo Airport" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- Aviador (29 September 2016). "Elevation of Isiolo Airport". Aviador.es. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- GCM (29 September 2016). "Great Circle Mapper: Isoilo Airport - Airport Details". Great Circle Mapper (GCM). Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- Zeddy Sambu, and Wangui Maina (7 February 2013). "Isiolo Eyes New City Status With Airport Upgrade". Business Daily Africa. Nairobi. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- Jebet, Vivian (7 May 2016). "Operations at Isiolo Airport to start in June". The EastAfrican. Nairobi. Retrieved 29 September 2016.
- Selesa, Hussein. "Isiolo Sh2.7 billion airport to open in a month". The Star (Kenya). Nairobi.
- Jebet, Vivian (28 September 2016). "Security tight ahead of opening of Isiolo International Airport". Daily Nation. Nairobi. Retrieved 29 September 2016.