This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Origin||Victoria, British Columbia, Canada|
|Genres||Black metal, Blackened crust|
|Labels||Black Raven, Mercy of Slumber, Southern Lord|
|Associated acts||Black Kronstadt|
Iskra is a Canadian blackened crust band founded in Victoria, British Columbia in 2002. Their name means "spark" in Slovak (iskra), Slovenian (iskra), Czech (jiskra), Croatian (iskra), Polish (iskra), Serbian (искра/iskra), Ukrainian (іскра), Russian (искра), and Bulgarian (искра).
Iskra performs and contributes to the anarchist underground musical tradition, which emerged via anarcho-punk in the late 1970s and 1980s with bands like Crass, Amebix, Antisect, and Conflict. By blending elements of crust punk and black metal, Iskra say they have created their own subgenre: "blackened crust".
Lyrically, Iskra's material generally follows in the anarchist punk tradition, with topics including criticism of government, war, economics, social issues such as homophobia, sexism, racism, and the struggles of indigenous peoples. The effects of political organization (both right and left wing) is also a common theme. Some songs discuss the global effects of capitalist institutions such as the World Trade Organization, World Bank, the Central American Free Trade Agreement, the North American Free Trade Agreement and the Independent Task Force on North America.
- Demo (2003)
- Iskra LP (Profane Existence, 2004)
- Fucking Scum cassette (Harsh Brutal Cold Productions, 2004)
- The Terrorist Act EP 7" (Unrest Records, 2005)
- Iskra/Self-Rule Split 7" (Unrest Records, 2005)
- Bring the War Home split CD/LP with Against Empire (Rabid Records, Rodent Popsicle Records, 2006)
- Selected Works compilation of all work excluding Bring the War Home (Profane Existence, 2007)
- Bureval (Black Raven Records, 2009)
- Iskra LP remastered reissue (Mercy of Slumber Records, 2011)
- Iskra/Doom Siren Split LP/cassette (Black Raven Records/Threat to Existence/Eat Lead Records/Anti-Corp, 2011)
- European Tour Demo 2012 LP/CD (self-released, 2012)
- Bureval Demo LP (Echoes From Beneath, 2013)
- Iskra/Ash and Ruin Split 7" (Drop Out Records, 2013)
- Ruins LP (Profane Existence, Doomed Society, OSD Press, Black Raven Records, Echoes From Beneath)(Neanderthal Stench, Darkside Of Punk, Chainbreaker Records, Back On Track, DVVM Recs, Crust Or Die, Criminal Attack Records, Ya-Basta, Sick Man Getting Sick Records, Yehanola Tapes, Kajfasz Records, Headnoise Records, Panda Banda, 2015)
- Wolf – guitar (2002–present)
- Danielle – vocals (2008–present)
- Cody – drums (2008–present)
- Anatol – guitar (2010–present)
- Katie - bass (2016–present)
- Calvert - Drums (2002-2003)
- Nick Engwer - Guitars (2002-2005)
- Scott - Vocals (2002-2007)
- Devin - Bass (2003-2009, off and on)
- Jasper Van Der Veen - Drums (2003-2004)
- Sean - Vocals (2003-2004)
- Jesse - Drums (2004-2007)
- Megan - Vocals (2005)
- Mel - Vocals (2006)
- J.P. - Bass (2011-2015)
- Ray - Bass (2009-2010)
- "Iskra Interviews". Archived from the original on June 15, 2006. Retrieved December 11, 2013.
- "Iskra "s/t" LP". Aversionline.com. Archived from the original on December 12, 2013. Retrieved December 11, 2013.
- "Iskra "Bureval" CSThe Greatest (Sia song)". November 4, 2009. Retrieved December 11, 2013.
- "Official Webpage for Blackened Crust band ISKRA". Iskracrust.com. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "Dusted Features (Composers Who Matter: Wolf Edwards)". Dustedmagazine.com. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "Iskra Crust". Iskra Crust. Retrieved 2016-09-29.
- "Iskra | Listen and Stream Free Music, Albums, New Releases, Photos, Videos". Myspace.com. Retrieved 2016-09-29.