Islam: What the West Needs to Know
|Islam: What the West Needs to Know|
|Directed by||Gregory M. Davis, Bryan Daly|
|Produced by||Quixotic Media|
|Starring||Robert Spencer, Walid Shoebat, Bat Yeor, Serge Trifkovic, Abdullah Al-Araby|
Islam: What the West Needs to Know is a 2006 documentary film produced by Quixotic Media. It features discussions using passages from religious texts and includes commentaries by Robert Spencer, Serge Trifkovic, Bat Ye'or, Abdullah Al-Araby, and Walid Shoebat. The film premiered at the American Film Renaissance Festival in Hollywood on January 15, 2006, and had a limited theatrical release in Chicago, Washington, D.C., and Atlanta in summer 2006.
While some reviewers have had a positive reception to the film, others have criticised the film as being inaccurate, simplistic, biased and propagandist against Islam. The Chicago Tribune's reviewer, Michael Phillips, describes it as a "deadly dull anti-Islam propaganda piece". The Washington City Paper's reviewer, Louis Bayard, argues that "If [the directors] Davis and Daly had a little imagination, they might see that the devil they’re chasing isn't Islam but fundamentalism, which assumes many forms."
- 'Hot-button film should provoke discussions now' by Lawrence Toppman, The Charlotte Observer
- Dann Gire, "War and terrorism: What more could moviegoers want?", Chicago Daily Herald, 7 July 2006, p. 37.
- "Islam: What the West Needs to Know" **1/2 – Chicago Sun-Times. 7 July 2006
- 'Movie reviews: 'The War Tapes' and 'Islam: What the West Needs to Know' by Michael Phillips, Chicago Tribune
- Bayard, Louis (July 7–13, 2006). "Islam: What the West Needs to Know".
- Islam: What the West Needs to Know. Official website.
- Islam: What the West Needs to Know on IMDb
- C-SPAN Q&A interview with Robert Spencer, featuring clips from Islam: What the West Needs to Know, August 20, 2006
- Discussion with Robert Spencer, Walid Shoebat, and Serge Trifkovic about the movie.
- American Film Renaissance Festival