Islam in Wales
||It has been suggested that this article be merged into Islam in the United Kingdom. (Discuss) Proposed since October 2013.|
|Islam by country|
Islam is the largest non-Christian faith in Wales, with about 46,000 adherents recorded in the country in the 2011 Census. The earliest recorded connections between Wales and the Muslim world dates back to the early 12th Century. There has been a Somali and Yemeni Islamic community in Cardiff since the mid-1800s, founded by seafarers to Cardiff Docks. The first purpose-built mosque was erected in Cardiff in 1947.
2001 - present
New Muslim Network Wales was established in the later part of 2001 to provide support and advice to converts to Islam and their non-Muslim family. The group also provides advice to mosques and other Islamic organisations on dawah work and community relations.
In 2003, the Muslim Council of Wales was established with affiliates across Wales to represent the Muslim community in the public sphere.
The first university in the UK to be awarded by FOSIS (Federation of Students Islamic Societies, UK & Éire) for the best mosque facility on campus was a Welsh University – Swansea, which received the accolade in 2007.
- "2011 Census: KS209EW Religion, local authorities in England and Wales". ons.gov.uk. Retrieved 15 December 2012.
- Muslims in Wales: A brief history
- "Somali Seafarers in Wales". The Black Presence in Britain - Black British History Website. Retrieved 25 June 2014.
- "Immigration and Emigration, South East Wales, Somali Community". BBC. Retrieved 25 June 2014.
- "Peel Street Mosque; Noor el Islam Mosque, Maria Street, Cardiff; Maria Street Mosque". Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monument of Wales. Retrieved 25 June 2014.
- Aberystwyth Mosque salaam.co.uk, accessed 19 January 2009
- First Muslim scout group in Wales BBC News, 27 March 2006
- Islamic centre planned for town BBC News, 25 November 2008
- "Multicultural Wales". BBC. Retrieved 25 June 2014.
- IslamWales.com - Wales Premium Muslim Community Portal
- Swansea Mosque & Islamic Community Centre
- Swansea's New Mosque Project
- New Muslim Network Wales
- West Wales Islamic Cultural Association
- Muslim Council of Wales
- Muslims for Plaid
- North Wales Islamic Societies