Islamabad High Court
|Islamabad High Court|
|Jurisdiction||Islamabad Capital Territory|
|Location||Bela Road, Sector G-10/1, Islamabad|
|Composition method||Presidential appointment on Judicial Commission recommendation|
|Authorized by||Constitution of Pakistan|
|Appeals to||Supreme Court of Pakistan|
|Appeals from||District Court (East);|
District Court (West)
|Judge term length||Until 62 years of age|
|Number of positions||10|
|Chief Justice of Islamabad High Court|
- Islamabad District Court (East)
- Islamabad District Court (West)
The Court was originally established on 14 August 2007 by Presidential Order of Pervez Musharraf, the military ruler at the time. The Court ceased to exist on 31 July 2009 by a decision of the Supreme Court of Pakistan following Constitution Petition No. 09 and 08 of 2009.
The Court was re-established by the Islamabad High Court Act, 2010 following the 18th Amendment to the Constitution of Pakistan. President Asif Ali Zardari administered the Oath to the first Chief Justice, Iqbal Hameed ur Rahman on 3 January 2011 at the Governor's House (Karachi).
The Islamabad High Court is headed by a Chief Justice. The bench consists of six Justices and additional judges. The mandatory retirement age of the Chief Justice and Justices is 62 years. The Additional Judges were initially appointed for one year. After that their services could either be extended or they could be confirmed or they were retired. The current composition of the High Court is as follows:
|No.||Name||Appointed||Retirement Date||Appointed From||Comments|
|1||Athar Minallah||17 June 2014||12 December 2023||Khyber Pakhtunkhwa||Appointed as Additional Judge on 17 June 2014, confirmed as Justice on 11 June 2016 and appointed as Chief Justice on 28 November 2018.|
|2||Aamer Farooq||1 January 2015||25 April 2031||Punjab||Senior puisne judge|
|3||Mohsin Akhtar Kayani||23 December 2015||10 February 2032||Islamabad|
|4||Miangul Hassan Aurangzeb||24 December 2015||13 September 2032||Khyber Pakhtunkhwa||Appointed as Additional Judge on 23 December 2015.|
|5||Lubna Saleem Pervez||13 December 2019||12 June 2021||Sindh||Sworn in as Additional Judge on 13 December 2019 for one year term. Extended for six more months.|
|6||Fiaz Ahmad Anjum Jandran||13 December 2019||12 June 2021||Islamabad||Sworn in as Additional Judge on 13 December 2019 for one year term. Extended for six more months.|
|7||Ghulam Azam Qambrani||13 December 2019||12 June 2021||Balochistan||Sworn in as Additional Judge on 13 December 2019 for one year term. Extended for six more months.|
|8||Tariq Mehmood Jahangiri||30 December 2020||29 December 2021||Islamabad||Sworn in as Additional Judge for one year term.|
|9||Babar Sattar||30 December 2020||29 December 2021||Sworn in as Additional Judge for one year term.|
- Islamabad District Court
- List of Chief Justices of Islamabad High Court
- List of Justices of Islamabad High Court
- Judiciary of Pakistan
- "Islamabad High Court slaps Rs10m fine on secretaries, others". The Express Tribune. 1 January 2021. Retrieved 6 January 2021.
- "PTA Informs Islamabad High Court Regarding the Status of Social Media Firms". PhoneWorld. 6 January 2021. Retrieved 6 January 2021.
- "Text of Supreme Court judgment". Pakistan Herald Publication (Pvt.) Ltd. 1 August 2009. Retrieved 22 December 2019.
- "The Gazette of Pakistan" (PDF). Senate of Pakistan. 2 August 2010. Retrieved 22 December 2019.
- "IHC Chief Justice to take oath today". AAJ News. 3 January 2011. Retrieved 22 December 2019.
- "Supreme Court Decision Constitution Petition No. 09 and 08 of 2009" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 17 May 2017. Retrieved 1 August 2009.
- "IHC's first female judge Lubna Saleem Pervaiz sworn in". DAWN.COM. 13 December 2019.
- "Babar Sattar, Tariq Jahangiri appointed additional IHC judges". The Express Tribune. 28 December 2020. Retrieved 29 December 2020.