Islamberg, New York
|Islamberg, New York|
|Nickname(s): Holy Islamberg|
The hamlet was founded in the late 1980s by Gilani and a group of primarily African American Muslims who left New York City, reportedly to escape crime, poverty and racism. They built a community of some 40 family houses, with its own grocery store and bookstore and place of worship, on some land 11 miles (18 km) north of the town of Hancock. Islamberg is the first of a number of communities set up under the direction and tutelage of Gilani. "Holy Islamberg", as residents refer to it, is also the headquarters of the Muslims of America organization. 
According to locals, the land previously belonged to a woman from the neighboring town of Deposit, who opened up her home in the late 1970s or early 1980s to disadvantaged young people. Relations with neighboring communities are cooperative.
In June 2017, a Tennessee man, Robert Doggart, was sentenced to almost 20 years in prison for plotting an attack on Islamberg. In November 2015, Jon Ritzheimer, of Phoenix, Arizona, made news for threatening an attack on Islamberg.
- ""Cannonsville Reservoir" 7.5 minute quadrangle". U.S. Geological Survey/ACME Mapper. Retrieved November 4, 2015.
- Al Arabiyah visits Islamberg (part 2). Al Arabiya. January 24, 2010 – via YouTube.
- Novacic, Ines (July 16, 2015). "Muslim enclave in U.S. battles suspicion, alleged threats". cbsnews.com.
- "Islamberg: A Terror Compound in New York ... or Misunderstood Neighbors?", foxnews.com; accessed May 3, 2014.
- Laila, Kearney (June 1, 2015). "A tranquil Muslim hamlet in the Catskills - until the attack plot". Reuters. Retrieved January 5, 2016.
- "Tennessee man sentenced over plot to attack Muslim community", reuters.com, June 15, 2017; accessed Dec 17, 2017.
- "America Snores When Christian Terrorist Threatens to Massacre Muslims", thedailybeast.com, May 18, 2015; accessed May 20, 2015.
- Michaud, Chris (November 29, 2015). "Upstate New York town threatened by Arizona man in online post: reports". Reuters. Retrieved January 5, 2016.