Islamic Azad University Central Tehran Branch
|Dāneshgāh-e Āzād-e Eslāmi vāhed-e Tehrān Markazi|
Seal of Islamic Azad University
|Islamic Azad University of Tehran|
|Motto||Persian: آرمان ایرانی برای جهانیشدن|
Motto in English
|Iranian Aspirations for Globalization|
|Established||August 1, 1982|
Private research university
|1,017 faculty member + 1,067 contracted (2006)|
297,904 m² (total)
156,532 m² (educational)
8,689 m² (sport space)
7,400 m² (laboratories)
5,283 m² (libraries)
|Colors||Dark and light Blue|
|Sports||Futsal, Basketball, Swimming, Volleyball, Chess, Wrestling, Squash, Taekwondo, Karate|
|Affiliations||Islamic Azad University|
The Islamic Azad University Central Tehran Branch (IAUCTB) (Persian: دانشگاه آزاد اسلامی واحد تهران مرکزی, Formerly known as Islamic Azad University of Tehran) is a major private research university located in Tehran, Iran. It is the flagship campus of the Islamic Azad University system. The university is the oldest, the largest and the top university among all branches of Islamic Azad University academic organization, established in 1982, originally as "Islamic Azad University of Tehran". The university campuses rest on 297,904 m² of various districts of Tehran. It offers approximately 445 undergraduate and graduate degree programs in a wide range of disciplines.
Islamic Azad University Central Tehran Branch is the very first branch established under the university system which is known as Islamic Azad University, so its history can be traced back to the foundation of the university.
Akbar Hashemi Rafsanjani sought to establish a private university to address the challenges posed during early years of Iranian Revolution -such as Cultural Revolution- and to meet increasing demands of secondary-school graduates for higher education in Iran. On the sidelines of a Islamic Republican Party conference, Rafsanjani mooted the idea with Abdollah Jasbi, who supported and developed the plan to establish Islamic Azad University.
On its early days, the university lacked sufficient funds and facilities to operate, sorely opening relying on donations made by people and government. The initial endowment was about 100,000 Rials.
Jasbi rented No. 155 building in Forsat Shirazi St., while Nassir Shekarriz and Mahmoud Latifipour – who were in charge as Chancellor and Vice Chancellor respectively – rented the 6th floor of a building located in Enqelab St., Felestin St. in order to hold an entrance exam in 1982. This university began as the Islamic Azad University of Tehran when it opened the doors to about 200 students, offering six majors in bachelor's degree and two in associate degree. Soon after, the whole building in Enqelab St. was purchased from Mostazafan Foundation of Islamic Revolution and became the university's first property. (Current Faculty of Arts and Architecture)
|Majid Monajjemi||1998 (interim)|
|Hossein Aghaei||2003 (interim)|
|Farhad Hosseinzadeh Lotfi||2013–2015|
The university has 12 Faculties:
|Faculty of Arts and Architecture||Enghelab St., Felestin St.|
|Faculty of Applied Sciences||Payambar Azam Complex|
|Faculty of Foreign Languages|
|Faculty of Economics and Accounting||Enghelab St., Pich Shemiran|
|Faculty of Engineering||Niayesh Complex|
|Faculty of Law||Enghelab St., Ferdowsi Sq.|
|Faculty of Literature and Humanities||Valieasr Complex|
|Faculty of Psychology and Social Sciences|
|Faculty of Management||Azadi St., Enghelab Sq.|
|Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Sciences||Shahrak-e-Gharb|
|Faculty of Political Sciences||Shahrak-e-Gharb|
|Faculty of News||Enghelab St., 12 Farvardin St.|
the university has 3 main complexes:
|Valieasr||Emam Hossein Square|
Faculty of Engineering
- Department of Electrical Engineering
It offers the following programs:
|Control||Control||Control and System|
- Department of Biomedical Engineering
It offers the following programs:
|Bioelectric (joint program EE Dept)||Bioelectric (joint program EE Dept)||Bioelectric (joint program EE Dept)|
- Department of Computer Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Department of Industrial Engineering
- Department of Basic Sciences
Faculty of Science
- Department of Mathematics, Computer Science and Statistics
It offers the following programs:
|Computer Science||Computer Science|
|Applied Statistics||Applied Statistics|
|Applied Mathematics||Applied Mathematics||Pure Mathematics|
- Department of Biology
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Physics
The university received 35,317 applications for the Fall 2011 undergraduate class, making it the university with the most freshmen applicants among all branches of Islamic Azad University. In 2013, a total number of 11,789 and 6,061 applications were received for undergraduate and graduate programs respectively.
- SCImago rankings
Abbas Araghchi, MS (International Relations)
Abdolhossein Mokhtabad, Dean of Faculty of Arts and Architecture
Siamak Ansari, BS (Theater)
Ali Daei, MS (Physical Education)
Zahra Rahnavard, Faculty of Political Sciences
Mohammad Abbasi, MS (Management)
Bahareh Rahnama, BS (Law)
Sadegh Zibakalam, Faculty of Political Sciences
Hamid Sourian, BS (Physical Education)
Several students have won medals in International competitions while studying at the university.
|Sara Khoshjamal Fekri||Taekwondo||Bronze|
|Samad Nikkhah Bahrami||Basketball||Bronze|
- "Selected universities and colleges of the world." Encyclopædia Britannica. Encyclopædia Britannica Online. Encyclopædia Britannica Inc., 2012. Web. 26 Jan. 2012. <http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/618194/university>.
- "Historic Calendar". Asnād Periodical Publishing (in Persian) (Islamic Azad University office of documents) 1 (3): 3. 2011.
- "Navabakhsh becomes Chancellor of Central Tehran Branch of Azad University". iau.ac.ir. Retrieved July 5, 2015.
- "Phase-1 inauguration of Islamic Azad University Central Tehran Branch's new complex" (in Persian). Fars News. September 23, 2006. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- "Central Tehran Branch: A Preview" (in Persian). Islamic Azad University Central Tehran Branch. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- "About". Farheekhtegan Newspaper. Retrieved October 4, 2013.
- "Islamic Azad University Logotype usage guidelines" (PDF). Islamic Azad University. Retrieved January 26, 2012.
- "Jasbi: Azad University to compete with the world's top universities" (in Persian). Iranian Students News Agency. 02-06-2011. Retrieved January 21, 2012. Check date values in:
- Jofreh, Manouchehr, ed. (2009). Realization of a Dream, The Summit under the shadow of Mount Alborz: A Historic view on establishment, growth and attributes of Islamic Azad University Central Tehran Branch (in Persian). Islamic Azad University office of documents (1st ed.). Tehran: Islamic Azad University Press. pp. 175–183.
- Ahmad Ashraf, “EDUCATION vii. GENERAL SURVEY OF MODERN EDUCATION,” Encyclopaedia Iranica, Online Edition, December 15, 1997, available at http://www.iranicaonline.org/articles/education-vii-general-survey-of-modern-education.
- "Interview with Dr. Gozashti" (PDF). Farhikhtegan Newspaper (in Persian). August 1, 2009. no. 57, p. 4. Retrieved January 10, 2013.
- "With universities: Islamic Azad University Central Tehran Branch". Afarinesh (in Persian). December 30, 2009. no. 3497. Retrieved January 26, 2012.
- "Names of 400,000 admitters of Islamic Azad University will be announced". Afarinesh (in Persian). July 9, 2011. no. 3917. Retrieved January 26, 2012.
- "Cooperation of Rahnavard and Jasbi" (PDF). Iran Newspaper (in Persian). October 1, 2009. no. 6352, y. 11, p. 3. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- Mahdavi Asl, Maryam (February 22, 2011). "Endowments of "External Brains" in U.S.". Shargh Newspaper (in Persian). no. 1190, p. 7. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Amir Mohebbian becomes mournful". Bultan News (in Persian). November 27, 2011. Retrieved February 3, 2012.
- "Biography: Mohammad-Mansour Falamaki (1934–)" (in Persian). Hamshahri. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- "Biography: Seyyed Bagher Ayatollahzadeh Shirazi (1937–2008)" (in Persian). Hamshahri. Retrieved February 3, 2012.
- "professor Ayatollahzadeh Shirazi's Biography" (in Persian). Ayatollahzadeh Shirazi's Official Website. Retrieved February 3, 2012.
- "Head of Shahre Rey Branch: Islamic Azad University has been stepped effective in Science". Afarinesh (in Persian). October 29, 2007. no. 2894. Retrieved February 3, 2012.
- "Exclusive: Education information of Majlis representatives". Fars News (in Persian). June 25, 2012. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- "Special Report: Azad University granting convicts?!". Kayhan Newspaper (in Persian). March 9, 2014. no. 20730, p. 2. Retrieved May 1, 2014.
- "Vice President Mohammad-Reza Rahimi" (in Persian). Iranian Government Official Website. Retrieved February 3, 2012.
- "Paraphrasing Philosophy of Islamic arts in Radio Goftegu" (in Persian). Fars News Agency. August 27, 2008. Retrieved February 4, 2012.
- Nourbakhsh, Mohammad-Reza, ed. (2007). Communal Higher Education: An Interview with Sadegh Zibakalam (PDF). Dialogue with elites (in Persian) 1. Islamic Azad University office of documents (1st ed.). Tehran: Islamic Azad University Press.
- "Central Tehran Branch of Azad University to train 2,000 industrial practitioners in 2009" (in Persian). Mehr News. September 1, 2008. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- "Abbasi becomes the first Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports" (in Persian). Islamic Republic News Agency. August 3, 2011. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
- "Faezeh Hashemi: I'm not studying in university now" (PDF). Abrar Newspaper (in Persian). November 9, 2011. no. 6586, p. 2. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "How did Ahmadinejad's sister become a faculty member?". Ghanoon Newspaper (in Persian). October 29, 2013. Retrieved November 1, 2013.
- "Faculty of Physical Education and Sport Sciences" (in Persian). Islamic Azad University Central Tehran Branch. Retrieved January 10, 2013.
- "Islamic Azad University Central Tehran Branch's elite alumni ceremony were held" (in Persian). Mehr News. December 18, 2006. Retrieved January 21, 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Islamic Azad University Central Tehran Branch.|
- Official Website
- The Public Relations & Information of IAUCTB
- Scientific Association of Electrical , Electronics Engineering & IEEE of IAUCTB Website
- Sorana automotive design team
- Hayyan Cultural Student society Website
- Computer Engineering Student society of IAUCTB Website