Islamic Azad University of Shiraz
|دانشگاه آزاد اسلامی واحد شیراز|
College of Economics and Management, Islamic Azad University of Shiraz, Iran
|Motto||"Iranian aspirations for globalization"|
|Location||Shiraz, Fars, Iran|
|Colors||Turquoise and White|
The Islamic Azad University, Shiraz Branch (Persian: دانشگاه آزاد اسلامی واحد شیراز) is a private university located in Shiraz, Iran. It is a part of private chain of universities in Iran called the Islamic Azad Universities. The Islamic Azad University of Shiraz with over 290 faculty and academic staff, 82,000 square meters of educational space, 7,500 square meters of administration space, 15,200 square meters of sporting space, is the biggest private university in the southern region of Iran.
The headquarters of the Islamic Azad University is in Tehran, Iran. The Islamic Azad University was founded in 1982 and currently has an enrollment of 1.7 million students, 30,000 Alumni and 35,000 Administrators making it the world's third largest. Over 3.5 million students have graduated from the Islamic Azad University since its establishment. Islamic Azad University has a total area of 16 million square meters and over 440 branches across Iran and also in other countries around the world. It has also international branches and universities in the U.A.E, United Kingdom, Tanzania, Lebanon, Afghanistan and Armenia and has plans to establish more branch campuses in Malaysia, Canada, and Tajikistan in the near future.
Over the years, the university has accumulated assets estimated to be worth between $20 and $25 billion. The total Area of the University is said to be 20 million square meters. Some 4 million students have graduated from this university to this date, which has made it possible for a lot of people to get access to higher educations and better employment prospects. In the recent years a lot of effort has been made to expand the graduate studies at the Islamic Azad University. The Islamic Azad University has about 200,000 Master's Degree students and about 20,000 PhD level students.
The university system also operates a news agency similar to ANA, named "Azad News Agency". Islamic Azad University's activities quickly expanded throughout the country, so that today thousands of students are enrolling every year. Not relying on government funding, it receives charitable donations and charges tuition fees.
The degrees and certificates issued by this university are recognized by the Ministry of Science and Higher Education. Post-graduate degrees have been offered in many different branches of Islamic Azad University.
Islamic Azad University of Shiraz (Persian: دانشگاه آزاد اسلامی واحد شیراز) is a private university located in Shiraz, Iran. It is a part of private chain of universities in Iran called the Islamic Azad Universities. The Islamic Azad University of Shiraz was established in 1987 and it is the biggest Private University in southern part of Iran. The Islamic Azad University of Shiraz was the first in offering many new and different degrees. This university was the first in the southern part of Iran to offers a degree in Industrial Engineering . The Faculty of Art and Architecture of the university was also the first among other universities in Shiraz in offering a degree in Architecture, Music and Theater studies . The Islamic Azad University is divided into different zones. The Shiraz branch is in the Zone One (Persian: منطقه یک).
The Islamic Azad University of Shiraz was appointed as a comprehensive university (Persian: دانشگاه جامع) in 2011. This University has over 290 faculty and academic staff, with 82,000 square meters of educational space, 7,500 square meters of administration space, 15,200 square meters of sporting space. Currently 17,000 students in different fields of studies and degrees study at this university. Degrees offered at this university include; Associate degrees (2 years), Bachelor's degrees (3, 4 or 5 years), Master's degrees (2 or 3 years), and Doctorate degrees ( 4 or 5 years).
The Islamic Azad University of Shiraz has four major campuses in the city of Shiraz and the neighbouring city of Sadra (Persian: شهر صدرا). Faculty of Art and Architecture is in the historic part of the city. The other three campuses are in the newly built city of Sadra, about 30 kilometers north west from Shiraz.
Colleges and Faculties
Colleges bring together academics and students from a broad range of disciplines, and within each faculty or department within the university, academics from many different colleges can be found.
- Faculty of Arts and Architecture
- Department of Architecture
- Department of Painting
- Department of Music
- Department of Theater and Plays
- Faculty of Engineering
- Department of Industrial Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Computer Engineering
- Department of Polymer Engineering
- Department of Metallurgy Engineering
- Department of Petroleum Engineering
- Faculty of Economics and Management
- Department of Industrial Management
- Department of Marketing Management
- Department of Insurance Management
- Department of Educational Management
- Department of Development and Planning
- Department of Industrial Economics
- Department of Marketing Economics
- Department of Economics Sciences
- Department of Accounting
- Faculty of Dentistry
- Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Department of Law
- Department of Persian Literature
- Department of Arabic Literature
- Department of English
- Department of Political Science
- Department of Philosophy
- Faculty of Sciences
- Department of Geography
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Athletics
- Faculty of Agricultural Engineering
- Department of Water Engineering
- Department of Soil Sciences
- Department of Plant Diseases
- Department of Gardening Sciences
There are several student organisations active throughout the university. These organisations are mainly concentrate on academic activities, with some also interested and active in political and social issues.
International Cooperation and Exchange
The Office of International Exchange Programs at the Islamic Azad University of Shiraz was established to provide students and faculty with exchange opportunities, including sending and hosting visiting scholars, aiding faculty members in arranging international study tours, developing exchange agreements with universities around the world. The university has developed academic cooperation with several international universities including Tokyo University of Foreign Studies.
The academic year is divided into three academic terms, determined by the university and the ministry of higher education. The first academic term usually starts on 23 September. The second Academic term usually starts on 11 February, and the Summer term is usually started from 10 July.
International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
- List of universities in Iran
- List of Universities of Fars Province
- List of Iranian Research Centers
- Higher education in Iran
- List of Iranian scientists from the pre-modern era.
- Modern Iranian scientists and engineers
- Education in Iran
- National Library of Iran
- Official website of Islamic Azad University of Shiraz
- Official website of Islamic Azad University of Shiraz-Staff and Students Portal
- Official website of the Vice President for International Affairs, Islamic Azad University of Shiraz
- Official website for Seminars-Islamic Azad University of Shiraz
- ANA News Agency
- Portal of Computer Engineering Students-Islamic Azad University of Shiraz
- Portal of Industrial Engineering Students-Islamic Azad University of Shiraz
- Islamic Azad University - UAE
- Islamic Azad University - Oxford