Islamic Republic of Iran Army
|Islamic Republic of Iran Army
ارتش جمهوری اسلامی ایران (Persian)
The seal of the Islamic Republic of Iran Army
Islamic Republic of Iran Army personnel marching during Islamic Republic of Iran Army Day, 17 April 2012.
|Current form||1979Islamic Republic)(|
|Commander-in-Chief||Amir Sarlashkar A. Salehi|
|Budget||$2,036.91 million (1395 SH)|
The Islamic Republic of Iran Army (Persian: ارتش جمهوری اسلامی ایران) acronymed AJA (Persian: آجا), simply known as the Iranian Army or Artesh (Persian: ارتش Arteš), is the "conventional military of Iran" and part of Armed Forces of the Islamic Republic of Iran. The army is tasked to protect the territorial integrity of Iranian state from external and internal threats and to project power. Artesh has its own Joint Staff which coordinates its four separate service branches: Ground Forces, Air Force, Navy and newly-established Air Defense Base.
Islamic Republic of Iran Army Day
The former Supreme leader of Iran, Ruhollah Khomeini named 18 April as Army Day, calling for military parades to exhibit the nation's military preparedness. The Iranian military honors the country's National Army Day by annual military parading in many cities of Iran every 18th day of April. The biggest march is held in front of the mausoleum of Ruhollah Khomeini.
- Shahbazi, A. Sh. (August 12, 2011) [December 15, 1986]. "ARMY i. Pre-Islamic Iran". In Yarshater, Ehsan. Encyclopædia Iranica. 5 II. New York City: Bibliotheca Persica Press. pp. 489–499. Retrieved March 15, 2016.
- Cronin, Stephanie (2012), The Making of Modern Iran: State and Society under Riza Shah, 1921-1941, Routledge, pp. 37–38, ISBN 1136026940
- Sheikh-ol-Islami, M. J. (August 12, 2011) [December 15, 1986]. "ARMY v. Pahlavi Period". In Yarshater, Ehsan. Encyclopædia Iranica. 5 II. New York City: Bibliotheca Persica Press. pp. 508–514. Retrieved March 15, 2016.
- Hossein Aryan (November 15, 2011), The Artesh: Iran’s Marginalized and Under-Armed Conventional Military, Middle East Institute, retrieved December 15, 2015
- "Iran decreases IRGC budget for next year". AzerNews Newspaper. 18 January 2016. Retrieved 30 March 2016.
- Simon, Rita J.; Abdel-Moneim, Mohamed Alaa (2011), A Handbook of Military Conscription and Composition the World Over, Lexington Books, pp. 152–153, ISBN 0739167529
- Iran's Annual Army Day Parades, IrDiplomacy.ir; accessed 29 November 2015.
- "Deputy top commander: Iran standing against threats powerfully", United Press International; accessed 29 November 2015.
- "'We are not after war, we are after logic': Iran's president Rouhani reaches out to the West as army displays show of strength", Daily Mail; accessed 19 November 2015.
- "Islamic Republic of Iran Army Day". Islamic Revolution Document Center. Retrieved 25 April 2016.