Islamic University of Science and Technology
|Motto||Nurturing a garden for dialogue|
|Chancellor||Chief Minister of Kashmir|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Mushtaq A Siddiqi|
|Location||Awantipora, Pulwama, Jammu and Kashmir, India|
|Affiliations||UGC, AICTE, AIMA, AIU|
The Islamic University of Science & Technology is a public university located at Awantipora, Pulwama, Jammu and Kashmir. The university has been set up as a centre for higher learning for the people of the Jammu and Kashmir State and its neighbouring regions. Islamic University of Science and Technology is recognised by the UGC and AICTE and is a member of AIU.
The Islamic University of Science and Technology was promulgated by an act of Jammu and Kashmir State Legislative Assembly in November 2005. Islamic University is located 28 km away from the summer capital of the state, Srinagar. The almond grove surrounded campus has the Himalayan mountain range to one side of it and Jehlum River flowing to the other.
The Chancellor of the university is the Chief Minister, of the State, and its Board is the Board of Directors of the Jammu and Kashmir Muslim Wakf Board. The Executive Council, chaired by the Vice Chancellor, is the executive authority of the university. The strong science and technology curriculum will be complemented by a School of Humanities and Social Sciences. The university focuses on career development and overall personality enhancement and tries to ensure education for leadership.
Schools of study
The university offers undergraduate and postgraduate courses in the following schools of study:
- School of Technology
- There are six undergraduate and three post graduate courses offered under this school. The undergraduate courses are B. Tech Computer Science and Engineering, B. Tech Food Technology, B. Tech Electronics Communication and Engineering, B. Tech Electrical Engineering, B. Tech Civil Engineering and B. Tech Mechanical Engineering. The post graduate programs offered are Masters in Computer Applications, M.Sc. IT and M. Sc. Food Technology.
- School of Business Studies
- There is one post graduate and one undergraduate programme. At the undergraduate level it is Bachelors in Business Administration (B.B.A.) and at the post graduation level Masters in Business Administration (M.B.A.).
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences
- There are four departments offering four postgraduate courses under this school of study:
- Department of Arabic Language and Literature offering MA Arabic Language and Literature
- Department of Islamic Studies offering MA Islamic Studies
- Department of English Language and Literature offering MA English Language and Literature
- Department of Journalism offering Maters in Journalism & Mass Communication
Besides, the university has instituted three centres dedicated to social sciences. These centres are mandated to impart a core curriculum in humanities and offer degree programs and to promote advanced research.
- Ibn-Khaldun Centre for Comparative Civilization
- Centre for International Peace and Conflict Studies
- Rinchen Shah Centre for West Himalayan Cultures
- School of Sciences
The School of Sciences is the fourth, and the most recent, school of studies instituted at Islamic University. In keeping with the university’s mandate for science and technology education, the school will facilitate the study of natural sciences and promote scientific research and innovation in all areas of natural sciences. The school houses the Department of Mathematics and Mantaqi Center for Science and Society. On the one hand, the school offers a mathematics program geared for today’s competitive job market; on the other, it makes a distinctive contribution towards understanding scientific progress and its impact within a wider social, political and historical surrounding.
The school will, in the near future, incorporate degree programs in other natural science disciplines.
|This article about a university or college in Jammu and Kashmir, India is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|