Island Gardens DLR station
|Local authority||Tower Hamlets|
|Managed by||Docklands Light Railway|
|Number of platforms||2|
|DLR annual boardings and alightings|
|Original company||Docklands Light Railway|
|31 August 1987||Opened|
|9 March 1992||Closed temporarily|
|5 April 1992||Reopened|
|8 January 1999||Original station closed permanently|
|20 November 1999||New station on Lewisham extension opened|
|Lists of stations|
|London Transport portal|
Island Gardens is a light metro station on the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) Bank-Lewisham Line next to Island Gardens in North Greenwich (not to be confused with Greenwich Peninsula, also known as North Greenwich), East London. It is just north of the River Thames, on the Isle of Dogs. The station is close to the southern tip of the Isle of Dogs and the River Thames.
Island Gardens is a public park with a notable view across the river to the classical buildings of the former Greenwich Hospital and the National Maritime Museum, with Greenwich Park forming a backdrop. The northern entrance of the Greenwich foot tunnel is within the park.
The original Island Gardens DLR station was opened on 31 August 1987 as the southern terminus of the initial system. It was built adjacent to the site of the old North Greenwich railway station, which had been the southern terminus of the former Millwall Extension Railway. It was elevated with two platforms, each capable of accommodating a single car train. The station required significant rebuilding to allow the platforms to take two-car trains.
The extension to Lewisham passes under the River Thames in a deep tube tunnel. This required a new station to be built slightly further away from the river, north of Manchester Road, and underground. The original station and the southern end of the connecting viaduct have since been demolished.
|Preceding station||DLR||Following station|
|Docklands Light Railway||
- "Step free Tube Guide" (PDF). Transport for London. Archived (PDF) from the original on 3 June 2015.
- Transport for London (12 February 2013). "Freedom of Information DLR usage 1213". Transport for London. Retrieved 10 November 2013.
- "Up-to-date DLR entry/exit statistics for each station" (XLSX). What Do They Know. Transport for London. 18 March 2016. Retrieved 2 April 2016.
- "Passenger Numbers - Docklands Light Railway Limited" (XLSX (after downloading zip)). What Do They Know. Transport for London. 8 June 2017. Retrieved 11 September 2017.
- Feather, Clive. "Clive's UndergrounD Line Guides". Retrieved 6 February 2014.
- Transport for London
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Island Gardens DLR station.|
|This article about the Docklands Light Railway is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This London railway station–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|