Island Road railway station
|Island Road or Barrow Shipyard|
|Original company||Furness Railway|
|Post-grouping||London Midland and Scottish Railway|
|1 May 1899||Station opened|
|5 July 1967||Closed completely|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain|
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
Island Road railway station (also known as Barrow Shipyard and locally simply as Shipyard station) was a railway station at the centre of Barrow Island, Barrow-in-Furness, England which operated between 1899 and 1967. It was built by the Furness Railway near the junction of the Ramsden Branch Line and a line which ran through the industrial areas of the town.
The station was never intended for general public use. In 1901 it carried more than 1700 workers daily on workmen's trains to the Vickers shipyard and the surrounding company housing. These trains ran from Millom, Grange-over-Sands and Coniston. Initially the station had just one platform, but a second was added in 1915.
A limited publicly advertised service had started by 1915 and excursion trains for Rugby league matches and Sunday School outings called.
The station and associated workmen's trains survived until the closure of Buccleugh Dock bridge on 31 December 1966 which cut access to the site. The station and line have both since been demolished, although two metal posts that formed the entrance to the south-bound platform have been preserved.
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
Line closed, station open
|Furness Railway||Ramsden Dock |
Line and station closed
- Broughton, John R. (1996). The Furness Railway: A Fascinating 150th Anniversary Excursion Along All the Company's Lines. British Railways Past & Present. Wadenhoe: Past & Present Publishing Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85895-126-3.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Croughton, Godfrey; Kidner, Roger Wakely; Young, Alan (1982). Private and Untimetabled Railway Stations, Halts and Stopping Places. Catrine: The Oakwood Press. ISBN 978-0-85361-281-0. OCLC 10507501. X43.
- Gilbert, A.C.; Knight, N.R. (1975). Railways Around Lancashire, a Pictorial Survey. Castleton, Greater Manchester: Manchester Transport Museum Society. ISBN 978-0-900857-09-6.
- Norman, K.J. (1994). Railway Heritage, The Furness Railway. Wadenhoe: Silver Link. ISBN 978-1-85794-016-9.