Islandia, New York
Islandia, New York
|Incorporated Village of Islandia|
Headquarters of CA Technologies
|• Mayor||Allan Dorman|
|• Total||2.21 sq mi (5.73 km2)|
|• Land||2.21 sq mi (5.73 km2)|
|• Water||0.00 sq mi (0.00 km2)|
|Elevation||66 ft (20 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||1,494.58/sq mi (577.09/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0979937|
Islandia is an incorporated village in Suffolk County, New York, United States. The population was 3,335 at the 2010 census. The Incorporated Village of Islandia is located in the northern part of the town of Islip.
Islandia straddles the Long Island Expressway and is near the geographic center of Long Island. It has no central business district, although it is home to the Islandia Center, which has a Walmart and Dave & Buster's. It was established in 1985 after CA Technologies established its world headquarters in Hauppauge and trying to capture the Hauppauge School District, in the area some people considered to be South Hauppauge, however there was never a South Hauppauge, and Islandia became its own incorporated Village in 1985.
The core of Islandia is a 500-home housing development built by Levitt & Sons circa 1963, which offered seven different model homes to choose from. The original Levitt home buyers were informed during pre-construction sales that their children should attend the Hauppauge school district, but instead it became part of the Central Islip school district. The Levitt development was assigned the Central Islip ZIP code 11722 and was considered part of Central Islip until the incorporation of Islandia in 1985.
In August 2016, the village board approved plans for a new casino to be opened at the Marriott hotel. These plans attracted opposition from some members of the community citing possible crime and traffic problems, while others supported the first new casino to be opened in Suffolk county. Marriott International sold the property to Delaware North for $40.41 million because Marriott has a corporate policy against gambling. On February 27, 2017, Jake's 58 casino opened with 250 video lottery terminals.
Islandia is located at (40.804658, -73.172778).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 2.2 square miles (5.7 km2), all land. However, Honeysuckle Pond, in Suffolk County's Lakeland Park, lies within the confines of the Village and should therefore be included in its geographic makeup. In the latter half of 2016 and the majority of 2017, the pond was virtually nonexistent, reduced to a muddy puddle devoid of wildlife.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2000, there were 3,057 people, 1,007 households, and 753 families residing in the village. The population density was 1,369.6 people per square mile (529.3/km2). There were 1,031 housing units at an average density of 461.9 per square mile (178.5/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 73.63% White, 12.30% African American, 0.13% Native American, 6.05% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 4.94% from other races, and 2.91% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 19.10% of the population.
There were 1,007 households, out of which 35.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.8% were married couples living together, 11.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.2% were non-families. 18.8% of all households were made up of individuals, and 2.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.04 and the average family size was 3.49.
In the village, the population was spread out, with 24.7% under the age of 18, 6.9% from 18 to 24, 36.3% from 25 to 44, 25.1% from 45 to 64, and 7.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females, there were 92.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 88.8 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $69,519, and the median income for a family was $69,615. Males had a median income of $46,083 versus $34,261 for females. The per capita income for the village was $25,682. About 4.0% of families and 5.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.1% of those under age 18 and 11.3% of those age 65 or over.
- "2019 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved July 27, 2020.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". United States Census Bureau. May 24, 2020. Retrieved May 27, 2020.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Islandia village, New York". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Archived from the original on February 12, 2020. Retrieved December 20, 2012.
- "Islandia Village Board Approves Video Casino To Be Built Inside Hotel « CBS New York". WCBS-TV. August 12, 2016. Retrieved February 28, 2017.
- Winzelberg, David (February 7, 2017). "Islandia hotel/casino sheds Marriott name in rebranding". Long Island Business News. Retrieved February 28, 2017.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. February 12, 2011. Retrieved April 23, 2011.
- "Honeysuckle Pond map locator". Google Maps. May 16, 2018. Retrieved May 16, 2018.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved January 31, 2008.
- "Ancestry Map of Turkish Communities". Epodunk.com. Archived from the original on November 7, 2007. Retrieved December 7, 2008.
- "Home." Central Islip Public Schools. Retrieved on April 5, 2013.