Islands (The Band album)
|Studio album by The Band|
|Released||March 15, 1977|
|Recorded||December 1972 – January 1977
Shangri-la Studios; Village Recorders, Los Angeles, CA
|The Band chronology|
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
Primarily composed of previously unreleased songs from the Band's career (including their 1976 cover of "Georgia on My Mind", which was recorded to aid Jimmy Carter in his presidential bid), Islands was released to fulfill the group's contract with Capitol Records, so that the soundtrack to their film The Last Waltz could be released on Warner Bros. Records. In the CD liner notes, Robbie Robertson compares the album to the Who's Odds & Sods.
|1.||"Right as Rain"||Robbie Robertson||Richard Manuel||3:52|
|2.||"Street Walker"||Rick Danko, Robertson||Rick Danko||3:16|
|3.||"Let the Night Fall"||Robertson||Manuel||3:11|
|4.||"Ain't That a Lot of Love"||Homer Banks, Willia Dean Parker||Levon Helm||3:09|
|5.||"Christmas Must Be Tonight"||Robertson||Danko||3:38|
|6.||"Islands" (Instrumental)||Danko, Garth Hudson, Robertson||None||3:54|
|7.||"The Saga of Pepote Rouge"||Robertson||Danko||4:14|
|8.||"Georgia on My Mind"||Hoagy Carmichael, Stuart Gorrell||Manuel||3:09|
|9.||"Knockin' Lost John"||Robertson||Robertson||3:50|
|10.||"Livin' in a Dream"||Robertson||Helm||2:52|
Bonus tracks from 2001 CD re-release
|11.||"Twilight (Single version)"||Robertson||3:17|
|12.||"Georgia on My Mind (Alternate take)"||Carmichael, Gorrell||3:51|
- Rick Danko – bass guitar, vocals
- Levon Helm – drums, vocals
- Garth Hudson – organ, synthesizer, accordion, piccolo, tenor, alto, and baritone saxophones
- Richard Manuel – acoustic and electric pianos, vocals
- Robbie Robertson – guitars, Lead Vocal on "Knockin' Lost John"
- Additional musicians
- James Gordon – flute on "Islands"
- Tom Malone – trombone on "Islands"
- John Simon – alto saxophone on "Islands"
- Larry Packer – violin on "Islands"
- Ed Anderson – engineering
- Neil Brody – engineering
- Rob Fraboni – engineering
- Nat Jeffrey – engineering
- Islands (The Band album) at AllMusic
- Robert Christgau
- Graff, Gary; Durchholz, Daniel (eds) (1999). MusicHound Rock: The Essential Album Guide. Farmington Hills, MI: Visible Ink Press. p. 72. ISBN 1-57859-061-2.
- Brackett, Nathan, with Hoard, Christian (eds) (2004). The New Rolling Stone Album Guide (4th edn). New York, NY: Fireside. p. 42. ISBN 0-7432-0169-8.
- Morris, Chris, Liner Notes to Islands CD release