Isle of Man to England Interconnector
|Isle of Man to England Interconnector|
|Country||United Kingdom & Isle of Man|
|From||Bispham, Blackpool, England|
|Passes through||Irish Sea|
|To||Douglas Head, Isle of Man|
|Partners||National Grid plc|
|Manufacturer of conductor/cable||BICC, Erith|
Pirelli Cables, Southampton
|Type of current||AC|
|Total length||104 km (65 mi)|
|Power rating||40 MW|
|AC voltage||90 kV|
The Isle of Man to England Interconnector is a submarine power cable connecting the transmission system of the Manx Electricity Authority to that of Great Britain. With an undersea section of approximately 104 km (65 miles), it is the longest AC undersea cable in the world.[a] It was laid in 1999 between Bispham, Blackpool, England, and Douglas Head on the Isle of Man, commencing commercial operations in November 2000. It is capable of continuous operation of 40 MW at 90 kV (although other sources say 65 MW at 132 kV AC)
The cable was manufactured in two parts: one section at the former BICC works in Erith and the other at Pirelli Cables in Southampton. It ended the Isle of Man's dependence on local diesel-powered generation. Power supplies to the island were increased in 2003 by an 85 MW combined cycle gas turbine power station at Pulrose, in the capital, Douglas.
The electricity cable is bundled with a fibre optic cable which is used for telecommunications. The cable is owned by e-llan Communications, which is part of Manx Utilities. The electricity cable is used for importing and exporting electricity between the Isle of Man and the UK National Grid.
- Western HVDC Link between Scotland and Wales
- HVDC Moyle between Scotland and Northern Ireland
- East–West Interconnector between Wales and the Republic of Ireland
- Howarth, B.; Coates, M.; Renforth, L. (March 2006). "Fault location techniques for one of the World's longest AC interconnector cables". 8th IEE International Conference on AC and DC Power Transmission. pp. 14–18. ISBN 0-86341-613-6.
- "The Longest AC Subsea Cable in the World". Major Assets. Manx Electricity Authority. Retrieved 2008-10-22.
- "Isle of Man Interconnector Cable". AWJ Marine. n.d. Retrieved 14 June 2021.
- "Subsea cable". Manx Utilities. n.d. Retrieved 14 June 2021.
- Pickin, M (2004). "Power to Pulrose". Power Engineer. IEEE. 18 (1): 14–16. ISSN 1479-8344.
- Eric Jeffs (May–June 2004). "ISLE OF MAN PLANT HAS NOVEL DESIGNS". Turbomachinery International.