Isn't It Romantic (2019 film)
|Isn't It Romantic|
|Directed by||Todd Strauss-Schulson|
|Music by||John Debney|
|Edited by||Andrew Marcus|
|Box office||$1.8 million|
Isn't It Romantic is a 2019 American satirical romantic comedy film directed by Todd Strauss-Schulson and written by Erin Cardillo, Dana Fox, and Katie Silberman. The film stars Rebel Wilson, Liam Hemsworth, Adam DeVine, and Priyanka Chopra, and follows a woman who, after getting hit on the head, wakes up in a world where everything around her plays out like a romantic comedy film. The film was released in the United States on February 13, 2019, by Warner Bros. Pictures, and will be released in international territories by Netflix on February 28, 2019.
For a long time, Natalie, an Australian architect living in New York City, had always believed that what she had seen in rom-coms is all fantasy. But after thwarting a mugger at a subway station only to be knocked out while fleeing, Natalie wakes up and discovers that she is self-aware of her existence in a "PG-13 Universe" and must escape every cliché in order to finally fall in love and achieve the happily ever after that will bring her back to reality.
- Rebel Wilson as Natalie, an Australian architect living in New York.
- Liam Hemsworth as Blake, a client and one of two love interests in Natalie’s life.
- Adam DeVine as Josh, Natalie’s best friend and one of two love interests in Natalie’s life.
- Priyanka Chopra as Isabella, a yoga ambassador.
- Betty Gilpin as Whitney, Natalie’s assistant and one of her best friends.
- Brandon Scott Jones as Donny, Natalie's neighbor and friend.
- Tom Ellis as a doctor.
- Jennifer Saunders as Natalie’s mother.
- Big Jay Oakerson as Gary
On May 23, 2016, it was reported that Rebel Wilson would be starring as Natalie in an untitled romantic comedy film by New Line Cinema, from an original script by Erin Cardillo and rewrite by Dana Fox and Katie Silberman, while producers would be Todd Garner, Grant Scharbo, and Gina Matthews. On March 22, 2017, Todd Strauss-Schulson was hired to direct the film, titled Isn't It Romantic, while it was revealed that a latest draft of the script was done by Paula Pell. On May 10, Adam DeVine, who previously co-starred with Wilson in the first two Pitch Perfect movies, and Liam Hemsworth were cast in the film to play love interests in Natalie's life. Priyanka Chopra was also cast in the film in May. On June 14, 2017, Betty Gilpin was cast in the film to play the Natalie's assistant Whitney, and one of her best friends.
Isn't It Romantic was released in the United States on February 13, 2019, by Warner Bros. Pictures. On January 30, 2019, it was announced that the film would be released internationally on February 28, 2019, by Netflix.
In the United States and Canada, Isn't It Romantic was released alongside Happy Death Day 2U, and is projected to gross around $22 million from 3,300 theaters in its six-day opening weekend. After not holding Tuesday night previews, the film made $1.8 million on its first day and $4.4 million on Valentine's Day, for a two-day total of $6.2.
On the review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film holds an approval rating of 67% based on 82 reviews, with a weighted average rating of 6.2/10. The website's critical consensus reads, "It follows as many genre conventions as it mocks, but Isn't It Romantic is a feel-good rom-com with some satirical bite -- and a star well-suited for both." On Metacritic, the film has a weighted average score of 60 out of 100, based on 30 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews". Audiences polled by PostTrak gave the film 3.5 out of 5 stars.
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (31 January 2019). "Priyanka Chopra starrer #IsntItRomantic to stream on #Netflix... Will launch on 28 Feb 2019 in #India and all #Netflix territories outside of the US and Canada... Costars Rebel Wilson, Liam Hemsworth and Adam DeVine... Glimpses: t.co/LsxwoJpzen" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Isn't It Romantic (2019)". Box Office Mojo. IMDb. Retrieved February 14, 2019.
- Sinha-Roy, Piya (October 31, 2018). "Watch a cynical Rebel Wilson navigate a cheesy rom-com in Isn't It Romantic? trailer". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved November 1, 2018.
- McNary, Dave (May 23, 2016). "Rebel Wilson to Star in Romantic Comedy for New Line (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- Kit, Borys (May 10, 2017). "Adam Devine, Liam Hemsworth Join Rebel Wilson in 'Isn't It Romantic' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- Kroll, Justin (May 30, 2017). "Priyanka Chopra Joins Rebel Wilson's 'Isn't It Romantic,' 'A Kid Like Jake' (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- Hipes, Patrick (June 14, 2017). "Betty Gilpin Joins Rebel Wilson In New Line's 'Isn't It Romantic'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- McNary, Dave (March 22, 2017). "Rebel Wilson's Romantic Comedy Draws Director Todd Strauss-Schulson". Variety. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- Perry, Spencer (July 10, 2017). "Production Begins on New Line's Isn't It Romantic?". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- "Rebel Wilson screams and waves her arms while filming her new movie". Mail Online. July 10, 2017. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (May 3, 2017). "'Godzilla Vs. Kong', 'Game Night' Among Many Warner Bros. Release Date Changes For 2018 & Beyond". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (February 12, 2019). "'Alita' & 'Happy Death Day 2U' In A Knife Fight At The Presidents Day Weekend B.O." Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 12, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (February 15, 2019). "'Alita: Battle Angel' Gets The Most Love At Valentine's Day B.O. With $8.7M & 'A-' CinemaScore – Update". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 15, 2019.
- "Isn't It Romantic (2019)". Rotten Tomatoes. Fandango. Retrieved February 14, 2019.
- "Isn't It Romantic reviews". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved February 14, 2019.