Israel–Republic of Macedonia relations
Relations between the two states are close and friendly.
The two countries established diplomatic relations on 7 December 1995. The establishment of diplomatic relations between Israel and Macedonia was done under the provisional UN reference for Macedonia - the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia - however, Israel later changed its position and recognised Macedonia under its constitutional name Republic of Macedonia, thus being one of 133 countries in the world recognising Macedonia under its chosen name.
Jews in Macedonia
Today the Jewish community in Macedonia is a small, but highly respected community, which serves as a bridge of communication between Macedonia and Israel. It numbers about 200 people, of which most of them live in the capital Skopje, but also in the town of Štip.
The Jewish organizations of Macedonia have expressed on several occasions that there is no antisemitism in Macedonia. After a meeting with the new ambassador from Israel to Macedonia at the end of 2009, they told him that Macedonia might be the only country where antisemitism cannot be noticed and that the Jews in Macedonia feel secure, having the feeling to live in a country that loves Jews and has very good relations with Israel.
In 2002, Macedonia became one of few countries that has settled claims against heirless Jewish properties, by adopting a resolution that resolved outstanding Jewish communal property claims.
The Government of the Republic of Macedonia built a Holocaust Memorial Center in the Macedonian capital Skopje, which is one of the biggest Holocaust memorial centers in the world. The State of Israel highly appreciates that kind of nourishing the Holocaust memory and testimonies of the Jewish presence in the country.
Macedonian Jews in Israel
A small-medium Macedonian Jewish community has a very long presence in the Mediterranean coast, especially in Gush Dan and in the Northern Israel.
- Foreign relations of Macedonia
- Foreign relations of Israel
- History of the Jews in the Republic of Macedonia
- Потврдени пријателските односи со Израел (in Macedonian). Dnevnik. 22-12-2010
- Republic of Macedonia - Ministry of Foreign Affairs Archived 2011-09-30 at the Wayback Machine. (in English)
- Израел ја напушта референцата БЈРМ (in Macedonian). Utrinski vesnik. S.J.; No. 1520, 09-07-2004
- Bolivia is 131. country to use Macedonia's constitutional name Archived 2011-01-23 at the Wayback Machine. Ekonom:east Media Group. 20-01-2011
- Alboher, Shlomo (2010). "The Jews of Monastir, Macedonia: The Life and Times of the Departed Jewish Community of Monastir", p. 17 Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; name "ejc" defined multiple times with different content (see the help page).
- PM Gruevski meets Israeli President Peres Macedonian Information Agency. 05-01-2010
- Нема антисемитизам и ксенофобија во Македонија (in Macedonian). Žurnal MK. 16-02-2011
- No Antisemitism in Macedonia The Free Library. 17-12-2009
- Во Македонија нема антисемитизам (in Macedonian). Dnevnik. Hristo Ivanovski; 11-12-2009
- Reassembling the Balkan Puzzle The Forward. Eli Rosenblatt; 23-05-2008
- AJC Praises Macedonia for Historic Holocaust Restitution Accord American Jewish Committee. 28-12-2007
- Macedonian Information Agency
- Embassy of the Republic of Macedonia in Tel Aviv (in English and Macedonian)