Singer has been an activist and advocate on behalf of the victims of the Holocaust. As chairman of the World Jewish Restitution Organization (WJRO), he managed efforts to compensate Holocaust survivors monetarily. He also negotiated with Germany and Austria about annuities and compensation for survivors.
In October 2001, he was appointed chairman of the Governing Board of the World Jewish Congress (WJC). In 2002, he was elected president of the Conference on Jewish Material Claims against Germany, the "Claims Conference". In June 2002, he was appointed chairman of the International Jewish Committee for Interreligious Consultations (IJCIC).
WJC scandal and resignation
On 17 August 2007, lawsuits were filled by both Bronfman and the WJC in the Supreme Court of New York County; Bronfman's suit claimed "that Singer did not pay back more than $500,000 in personal loans stemming from a 2004 investigation by the New York State Attorney General into the WJC's finances." As a result of that investigation. Singer was required to pay back more than $300,000 to the organization. The WJC suit claimed that Singer "never returned WJC property such as computers, televisions, cellular phones and BlackBerries, that amount to $19,500."
- Levin, Itamar; Natasha Dornberg (translator); forewords by Edgar Bronfman, Israel Singer, and Avraham Burg (1999). The last deposit: Swiss banks and Holocaust victims' accounts. Westport, Conn.: Praeger. ISBN 978-0275965204.CS1 maint: Multiple names: authors list (link)
- Gregg J. Rickman (1999). Swiss Banks and Jewish Souls. Transaction Publishers. ISBN 978-1560004264.
- Second Generation Voices: Reflections by Children of Holocaust Survivors and Perpetrators. Religion, theology, and the Holocaust. Alan L. Berger, Naomi Berger (eds.) (1st ed.). Syracuse, N.Y: Syracuse University Press. 2001. p. 222. ISBN 978-0-8156-2884-2.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "Holocaust by Bullets". Archived from the original on January 2, 2014.
- "Chairman of the Board of Trustees, World Jewish Congress - Dr. Israel Singer | www.yadvashem.org". singer.html. Retrieved 2019-05-14.
Chairman of the Board of Governors, World Jewish Congress; President of the Conference of Jewish Material Claims Against Germany; Vice-Chairman of the Yad Vashem Council
- "World Jewish Congress Dismisses Leader".
- CJN"WJC and Bronfman sue Singer"; Cleveland Jewish News; 24 Aug 2007.
- Yad Vashem Interview
- "Restitution: The Second Round: An Interview with Israel Singer". Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs. November 2, 2003. Retrieved January 23, 2014.
- "World Jewish Congress & Iran". isracast.com. February 10, 2006. Retrieved January 23, 2014.
- Amiram Barkat (March 22, 2007). "Israel Singer fired from WJC for Allegedly Embezzling Funds". Haaretz. Retrieved January 23, 2014.
- Stephanie Strom (March 16, 2007). "World Jewish Congress Dismisses Leader". The New York Times. Retrieved January 23, 2014.
- "Q&A with WJC Chairman Israel Singer". Haaretz. Archived from the original on 3 April 2009. Retrieved January 23, 2014.