Israel national baseball team
|Confederation||Confederation of European Baseball|
|World Baseball Classic|
|Appearances||1 (First in 2017)|
|Appearances||3 (First in 2010)|
|Best result||B Level Qualifier (2016)|
- 1 History
- 2 Current roster
- 3 International tournament results
- 4 See also
- 5 References
In June 2015, Israel senior national team player Dean Kremer became the first Israeli to be selected in the Major League Baseball draft. He was picked by the San Diego Padres in the 38th round. On 22 July it was announced that Kremer would fulfill his commitment and play for the UNLV Rebels baseball team. After playing for the Rebels for the 2016 season, Dean Kremer was drafted by the Los Angeles Dodgers and assigned to the Ogden Raptors.
Since Israel did not come in last in the first round of the 2017 World Baseball Classic, it automatically qualified for the 2021 World Baseball Classic.
|Israel roster - 2017 World Baseball Classic|
International tournament results
World Baseball Classic
World Baseball Classic
|World Baseball Classic record||Qualification record|
|2006||Did not enter||No qualifiers held|
|2009||Did not enter||No qualifiers held|
|2013||Did not qualify||United States||2||1||18||14|
|2017||South Korea||Round 1||1st||3||0||21||10||United States||3||0||15||3|
2013 World Baseball Classic
The team competed in the September 2012 Qualifier 1 round, in Jupiter, Florida against Spain, France, and South Africa. Israel won easily in their first game. Israel then beat Spain in the winner's bracket. Spain then eliminated South Africa to earn a rematch with Israel, in the final game. Spain won the winner-take-all final game, 9–7 in 10 innings, to advance to the main tournament.
2017 World Baseball Classic
In September 2016, Team Israel competed in the 2017 Qualifier 4 round. Colorado Rockies coach Jerry Weinstein served as the manager. Israel's roster included 20 MLB-affiliated minor leaguers, making up 86% of the team, more than any other team in the qualifiers even before including recent Major Leaguers.
Prior to the start of the 2017 tournament, ESPN considered Israel, ranked 41st in the world, to be the biggest underdog in the tournament, referring to them as the "Jamaican bobsled team of the WBC". Israel began the round robin tournament with wins against world # 3 Korea and world # 4 Chinese Taipei, and Netherlands. Team Israel's first round performance afforded it a spot in the second round, in Pool E in Japan and ensured its participation in the 2021 tournament.
European Under-21 Baseball Championship
European Juveniles Baseball Championship
European Senior National Team Championship
European Baseball Championship
|European Baseball Championship record||Qualification record|
|2010||Did not qualify||Croatia||2||2||22||27|
|2012||Did not qualify||Israel||3||2||39||16|
|2014||Did not enter||Did not enter|
|2016||Did not qualify||Slovenia, Austria||8||2||97||29|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Israel national baseball team.|
- "Israel's baseball team moves up in world rankings". i24news. Archived from the original on 2014-10-18. Retrieved 14 October 2014.
- "The WBSC World Rankings 2016 -- WBSC". Retrieved 13 December 2016.
- "Senior National Team on their Way to Vienna - Israel Baseball - Official Site". Retrieved 31 July 2015.
- "Kremer first Israeli to be picked in MLB draft". Jerusalem Post.
- Heller, Aron. "Israeli baseball player selected in MLB draft for 1st time". The Washington Times. Associated Press. Retrieved 7 March 2017.
- "Dean Kremer Stats, Fantasy & News". Major League Baseball.
- "How a Survivor's Son Is Bringing Baseball to Israel".
- "Israel off to great start in Baseball Classic Qualifier tournament in Brooklyn" - Israel News, Jerusalem Post
- "Great Britain vs. Israel - 09/22/16".
- "Great Britain vs. Israel - 09/25/16".
- "Brazil vs. Israel - 09/23/16".
- "Israel Advances to the World Baseball Classic". The New York Times. 25 September 2016. Retrieved 7 March 2017.
- "Team Israel -- and its mascot, Mensch on a Bench -- is the Jamaican bobsled team of the WBC"
- "World Baseball Classic: Israel's Cinderella Run Forges Ahead After Upsetting Taiwan"
- "Israel wins at World Baseball Classic again"
- [http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2017/03/09/israel-beats-netherlands-advances-in-world-baseball-classic/98942326/ World Baseball Classic newcomer Israel advances to second round AP]
- Israel advances to 2nd round of World Baseball Classic