Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon?
|Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon?|
Logo of Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon?
|Written by||Aakash Pandey
|Directed by||Nissar Parvez
|Creative director(s)||Madhura Rapsang
Megha S. Kumar
Shivangi V Chauhan Babbar
Richa Singh Gautam
For more listings see below
|Theme music composer||Raju Singh|
|Opening theme||"Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon?" By Sadhana Sargam and Javed Ali|
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||406|
|Running time||20 minutes|
|Production company(s)||4 Lions Films|
|Original network||Star Plus|
|Picture format||720i (SDTV)
|Original release||Television Series
6 June 2011 – 30 November 2012
24 November 2015 – 15 December 2015
Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon? (English: What Shall This Love Be Named?) is an Indian daily soap opera that aired weekdays on Star Plus from 6 June 2011 to 30 November 2012. The show got replaced by Kaali - Ek Punar Avatar. It has been dubbed into Tamil as Idhu Kadhala, Telugu as Chuppulu Kalisina Shubhavela, Malayalam as Mounam Sammadham, Turkish as Bir Garip Ask , adapted in Bengali as Bojhena Se Bojhena on Star Jalsha, Arabic as Men Nazra Thanya, Vietnamese as Mối Tình Kì Lạ and french as La Promesse. The series inspired several international remakes.
The spin-off of the show titled Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon?...Ek Baar Phir (English: "What Shall This Love Be Named?: Once Again") was premiered 26 August 2013, starring Avinash Sachdev (Shlok Agnihotri) and Shrenu Parikh (Aastha Shlok Agnihotri). However the season couldn't recreate the magic of the previous season. The show had a run of 2 years and went off air on 13 June 2015.
On 24 November 2015, Hotstar launched a finite web series of eight episodes to commemorate the original show. It is about their three years being together. The series was produced by Entertainment Mafia, with Barun Sobti and Sanaya Irani reprising their respective roles as Arnav and Khushi.
This story depicts the mesmerizing love-hate relationship between the unlikeliest of people who embark upon a beautiful and unforgettable journey. We follow Khushi Kumari Gupta (Sanaya Irani) who is a simple, naive and cheerful young woman brought up in a stereotypical and patriarchal house rooted in traditions and values. She eventually meets Arnav Singh Raizada (Barun Sobti) who is the complete opposite of her. He is a shrewd, arrogant and ruthless businessman who only cares for his own family, especially his older sister. Although he has a very harsh exterior, it is largely due to a damaged past.
The story begins in Lucknow when Khushi accidentally falls into Arnav's arms in one of his fashion shows upon their first meething. There upon also begins Arnav's venegful quest to humiliate and mistreat Khushi at every step thereafter as he considers her to have ruined his show on purpose. Since he deliberately spreads the footage of this mishap in the media the now mortified Khushi is forced to shift to her Aunt's house along with her sister in Delhi which also happens to be the city where Arnav resides
Arnav is a stern business tycoon and has been living with his maternal family consisting of his beloved sister Anjali, and her infidel husband Shyam, uncle Manohar, aunt Manorama, cousin Aakash and his grandmother Devyani, after his mother's suicide. Khushi, on the other hand, is a chirpy girl from a lower middle class nuclear family. They come across each other on several occasions, and after many initial fights, start warming up to each other.
The antagonist in their story is Arnav's brother in-law, Shyam, who wishes to marry Khushi. Misunderstanding, Arnav marries Khushi in turn, to save his sister's marriage, during Aakash and Payal's wedding. Shyam is later exposed by the duo, who finally confess their love to each other, marry and live happily ever after.
- Barun Sobti as Arnav Singh Raizada (2011–12)
- Sanaya Irani as Khushi Kumari Gupta Singh Raizada (2011–12)
- Vishesh Bansal as Aarav Singh Raizada (2012)
- Akshay Dogra as Akash Singh Raizada (2011–12)
- Deepali Pansare as Payal Gupta Singh Raizada (2011–12)
- Abhaas Mehta as Shyam Manohar Jha (2011–12)
- Daljeet Kaur Bhanot as Anjali Shyam Jha (2011–12)
- Sanjay Batra as Shashi Gupta (2011–12)
- Tuhina Vohra/Pyumori Mehta as Garima Shashi Gupta (2011–12)
- Abha Parmar as Madhumati Gupta (2011–12)
- Jayshree T. as Devyani Raizada (2011–12)
- Utkarsha Naik as Manorama Raizada (2011–12)
- Rajesh Jais as Manohar Raizada (Arnav's maternal uncle) (2011–12)
- Karan Goddwani as Nand Kishore(NK) (2011–12)
- Madhura Naik as Sheetal Kapoor (2012)
- Sana Makbul as Lavanya Kashyap (2011)
- Roshni Rastogi as Khushi's friend (2011)
- Swati Chitnis as Subhadra Devi, Arnav's Dadi (2012)
- Dhriti Bhatia as Bubbly (2012)
- Dinesh Nag as Hari Prasad (H.P) (2012)
Casting, production and distribution
|Main cast of Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon?|
The show has been produced and directed by Gul Khan under the banner of 4 Lions Films. Barun Sobti was cast as Arnav Singh Raizada after the original choice, Karan Singh Grover, opted out of the role to focus on his film career; and Sanaya Irani replaced Shraddha Arya who had originally been cast as the female lead. Daljeet Kaur Bhanot, Deepali Pansare & Akshay Dogra got finalised to play supporting roles to the main leads. Other supporting cast include Jayshree T., Tuhina Vohra, Abha Parmar, Utkarsha Naik, Sanjay Batra and many other actors. Abhaas Mehta and Sana Makbul entered the show as antagonists of the show. Sana later quit the show in December 2011.
Sequels and franchise
In 2013, the soap opera was renewed for a second season, Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon?...Ek Baar Phir (English: What Do I Call This Love?... Once Again) with a brand new plot, starring Avinash Sachdev (Shlok Agnihotri) and Shrenu Parikh (Aastha Shlok Agnihotri).
In 2015, Hotstar launched a finite web series of eight episodes titled Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon? — Ek Jashn with the original cast and the characters. The story was about the life of Arnav and Kushi after three years of marriage. The series was produced by Entertainment Mafia.
|2012||Star Parivaar Awards||Favorite Naya Sadasya(Male)||Barun Sobti||Won|
|Favourite Jodi||Barun Sobti and Sanaya Irani|
|Favourite International Jod||Barun Sobti and Sanaya Irani|
|Favourite Mazedar Sadasya||Utkarsha Naik|
|Favourite Dushman||Abhaas Mehta|
|Most Stylish Sadasya (Male)||Barun Sobti|
|Favourite Naya Sadasya (Female)||Sanaya Irani||Nominated|
|Favourite Behen||Daljeet Kaur Bhanot|
|Favourite Pita||Sanjay Batra|
|Favourite Beti||Sanaya Irani|
|Zee Gold Awards||Face of The Year||Sanaya Irani||Won|
|Best Actress – Popular||Sanaya Irani||Nominated|
|The Global Indian Film and TV Honours||Best Actor (Popular)||Barun Sobti||Won|
|Best Jodi||Barun Sobti and Sanaya Irani||Nominated|
|Indian Television Academy Awards||Best Actor Popular||Barun Sobti||Won|
|Best Actress Popular||Sanaya Irani||Nominated|
|Indian Telly Awards||Best Actor In Negative Role||Abhaas Mehta||Nominated|
|TV Personality Of The Year||Barun Sobti|
|Best On-Screen Couple||Barun Sobti & Sanaya Irani||Won|
|People's Choice Awards India||Favorite TV Drama Actor||Barun Sobti||Won|
|Favorite Most Good Looking On-Screen Jodi||Barun Sobti and Sanaya Irani|
|2013||Indian Telly Awards||Best Actress in a Leading Role||Sanaya Irani||Nominated|
|Best Actor in a Negative Role||Abhaas Mehta|
|Best Actress in a Comic Role||Utkarsha Naik|
|Best Actress in a Comic Role (jury)||Utkarsha Naik|
|2016||Garv Television Awards||GARV Scroll Honours||4 Lions Films||Won|
Broadcast and remake
The series inspired several international remakes, which include Bohjena Se Bohjena and Aragini. The show airs in Vietnam under the title, Mối tình kỳ lạ on HTV3. The show airs in Jamaica on one of the two free-to-air channels in the country which is CVMTV as Strange Love and also in Namibia and is dubbed in English.
It has been dubbed into Tamil as Idhu Kadhala, Telugu as Chuppulu Kalisina Shubhavela, Malayalam as Mounam Sammadham, Turkish as "Bir Garip Ask" and Arabic as Men Nazra Thanya. The french dubbed version La Promesse airs on Reunion 1ere.
The background score "Rabba Ve" for Arnav and Khushi was well received by audiences as well as critics.  The character of Arnav Singh Raizada was very popular and gave a huge fan following to Barun Sobti such that when Sobti announced his break from the show due to health problems, his fans made it sure that the show was shut down on a happy note rather than any replacement. The onscreen chemistry between Sobti and Sanaya Irani resulted in several awards for best on-screen couple. The show also had very high TRPS. Fans are still crazy for the show and are eagerly waiting for Barun Sobti and Sanaya Irani to come back in their respective roles. The show has also been ranked no. 1 in many polls by fans led by several websites. Whereas, Arnav and Khushi's Jodi has been ranked no. 1 in the Best Jodi Category in several polls. Barun Sobti has been named as the most awaited comeback by an actor and Most Handsome Leading Man while Sanaya Irani has been named as the Most Beautiful Leading Lady. Many dialogues from the show have received tremendous popularity from fans like Barun Sobti's "What the", "I Love You Dammit" or Sanaya Irani's "Hey Devi Mayya", "Aaj Mausam hai Suhana song" or Utkarsha Naik's "Hello Hi Bye Bye" or Abha's "Haye re Nand Kishore" or Karan Goddwani's wrong english. The other actors from the show especially Akshay Dogra, Daljeet Kaur and Utkarsha Naik have also garnered extreme popularity due to their roles and the actors still remain best friends. The show has several fan pages and has been critically acclaimed show by the critics as well as the audience as it was not a typical 'saas bahu' show. It is one of the most popular show even after the end of the show 4 years back and will always remain special for its fans.
- "Fans are comparing me with Barun Avinash Sachdev". Times of India. Retrieved 3 March 2015.
- "Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon Ek Baar Phir to go off air on 11 June – Telly Dhamaal". The Times of India. Retrieved 2015-05-24.
- "Popular TV actors making a comeback – The Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2015-11-24.
- "Sanaya Irani and Barun Sobti back in IPKKND". The International Business Times. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
- "Barun Sobti 'delighted' over his TV show being aired in Turkey". The Indian Express. 3 March 2016. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "I respect other people's time: Sanaya Irani". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon? actor Akshay Dogra becomes father to a baby boy". Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Deepali Pansare quits Iss Pyaar Ko". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Hate mails no longer bother me: Abhaas Mehta". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Daljeet Bhanot back to work after separating from husband". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Utkarsha Naik is back with 'Bani'". dna. 24 September 2013. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "It was frustrating to play a character role: Karan Goddwani". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "I am happy to work with Barun again: Madhura Naik". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "My role in 'Iss Pyaar Ko.. is a challenging one to play: Swati Chitnis". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Replacement stars rewrite TRPs – Times of India". Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- "Karan Singh Grover-Shraddha Arya were approached for Arnav Khushi". Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- "Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon's Lavanya 'Sana Makbul' quits". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 December 2011.
- "Fans are comparing me with Barun: Avinash Sachdev – Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 2016-03-20.
- "Indian Television Dot Com – 'Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon' culminates on Hotstar after 8 episodes". Indian Television Dot Com. 16 December 2015. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Star Parivaar Awards 2012: And the winners are... – TV – Indian TV – ibnlive". Mumbai: IBN Live. 26 Mar 2012. Retrieved 25 Apr 2012.
- "Star Parivaar Awards 2012". Hotstar. Retrieved 8 March 2016.
- "2012 Nominees – Global Honours". The Global Indian Film and Television Honours. Retrieved June 22, 2012.
- "IndianTelevisionAcademy.com". Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "The ITA Awards 2012 – Popular Top-5".
- ""2012 Winners"". tellyawards.indiantelevision.com. Retrieved 2012-06-09.
- "2012 And the winners are...". People's Choice Awards India. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- "2016 – Garv Indian Television Honours". weebly.com. Retrieved 11 May 2016.
- "Cô dâu 8 tuổi và phim ngoại ồ ạt lên truyền hình Việt". Tuổi Trẻ Online. 7 January 2016. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "CVM Television – Schedule". Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Indian Television Dot Com – Star Plus' 'Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon' travels to Namibia". Indian Television Dot Com. 23 September 2014. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon to return with Barun and Sanaya?". Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- Ujala Ali Khan. "Hit Indian soap opera Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon gets Arabic translation". Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Star India gives Turkey its first ever Indian Drama Series". The Times of India. 3 March 2016. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "La Promesse - réunion 1ère". Retrieved 2016-10-02.
- "A salute to the most enduring small screen jodis". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Small screen's heartthrobs who return on fans' demands". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "On-screen Jodis of TV we would like to see again". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Small screen TRP rockers of 2012". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 March 2016.