|• Total||0.35 sq mi (0.91 km2)|
|• Land||0.31 sq mi (0.79 km2)|
|• Water||0.05 sq mi (0.12 km2)|
|Elevation||59 ft (18 m)|
|• Density||411.76/sq mi (158.91/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0284632|
Istachatta is an unincorporated community and census-designated place (CDP) in Hernando County, Florida, United States. The population was 116 at the 2010 census, up from 65 at the 2000 census. The name "Istachatta" is derived from a Seminole word meaning "man snake".
Istachatta is in the northeast corner of Hernando County at  It is on the west bank of the Withlacoochee River. It is 11 miles (18 km) northeast of Brooksville, the Hernando County seat, and 14 miles (23 km) south of Inverness.(28.662340, -82.276911).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 0.3 square miles (0.9 km2), of which 0.3 square miles (0.8 km2) are land and 0.04 square miles (0.1 km2), or 13.27%, are water. The town is along the Withlacoochee State Trail, a rail trail that extends north into Citrus and south to Pasco County.
As of the census of 2000, there were 65 people, 34 households, and 22 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 505.4 people per square mile (193.1/km2). There were 52 housing units at an average density of 404.4/sq mi (154.4/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 93.85% White, 4.62% African American, and 1.54% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 3.08% of the population.
There were 34 households, out of which 8.8% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 44.1% were married couples living together, 20.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 32.4% were non-families. 23.5% of all households were made up of individuals, and 14.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.91 and the average family size was 2.22.
In the CDP, the population was spread out, with 7.7% under the age of 18, 3.1% from 18 to 24, 9.2% from 25 to 44, 38.5% from 45 to 64, and 41.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 57 years. For every 100 females, there were 97.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 87.5 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $21,250, and the median income for a family was $21,250. Males had a median income of $0 versus $13,750 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $12,618. There were 33.3% of families and 29.5% of the population living below the poverty line, including 100.0% of under eighteens and none of those over 64.
- "2020 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved October 31, 2021.
- "U.S. Census website". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Istachatta CDP, Florida". American Factfinder. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved April 27, 2017.[dead link]
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. pp. 167.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Retrieved June 4, 2016.
The Withlacoochee State Trail facing south from the Magnon Drive crossing in Istachatta