Istanbul Çağlayan Justice Palace
The Istanbul Çağlayan Justice Palace (Turkish: Çağlayan Adalet Sarayı) is a courthouse in the Şişli district of Istanbul, Turkey. Inaugurated in July 2011, it is the largest courthouse in Europe, with an area of over 300,000 square metres. It was built by the VARYAP construction subsidiary of the Varlıbaş Group.
On 31 March 2015 suspected members of the Revolutionary People's Liberation Party-Front (DHKP-C) took prosecutor Mehmet Selim Kiraz hostage on the sixth floor of the Justice Palace. They demanded that the police announce the names of four members of the security services who they said were connected to the death of Berkin Elvan. The police negotiated with the gunmen for six hours, but eventually stormed the courthouse "because of gunshots heard from inside the prosecutor's office". The two gunmen died during the operation, while the prosecutor was badly wounded and later died of his injuries.
- "İstanbul Cumhuriyet Başsavcılığı İletişim Bilgileri" [Istanbul Public Prosecutor's Office Contact Information]. Istanbul Courthouse. Retrieved 3 April 2015.
- buyuyenturkiye.com, 1 August 2011, Europe’s largest palace of justice in Istanbul
- kinaci.com.tr, Justice Houses / Istanbul Çağlayan Justice Palace
- istanbul.adalet.gov.tr, İstanbul Adalet Sarayı
- VARYAP, 8 May 2013, VARYAP
- Bloody end to Turkey prosecutor hostage crisis