|Date opened||April 1, 2011|
|Total volume of tanks||6,800 cubic metres (1,800,000 US gal)|
Istanbul Aquarium (Istanbul Akvaryum) is a public aquarium in Istanbul, Turkey. It opened its doors in April 2011, is an official member of World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA). The site is 5 km from Atatürk International Airport, near the motorway and railway transportation systems in Florya, which is at the southwest coast of Istanbul.
Istanbul Aquarium holds a leading position among worldwide aquariums thanks to its volume, variety of fish species, and the activities on travel routes. Visitors follow a geographical route that includes 16 themes and 1 rainforest going from the Black Sea towards the Pacific. The aquarium was designed by public aquarium design consultants OCEAN Projects .
All living creatures in Istanbul Aquarium continue to live in the conditions as nearest as possible to those of their habitat.
Istanbul Aquarium in figures
- Water volume: 6.800 cubic meters; 64 tanks in total,
- A two-storey giant project with total area of 22.000 square meters on 100-decare land,
- Parking lot area of 32.000 square meters/1.200 vehicles belonging to Istanbul Aquarium,
- Visitor area of 6.000 square meters,A special-themed,
- 1,2 km long travel route originating in the Black Sea towards the Pacific,
- Approximately 1.500 species, 15.000 land and sea creatures in total, which are interesting from each other,
- 2, 15-person, 6-axle 5D movie houses, providing the option to watch 7 separate films, an extraordinary system that makes live some effects such as wind, fog and water.
- A gift shop with an area of 470 square meters within Istanbul Aquarium,
- 3 cafeterias on the travel route,
- 1 restaurant having the Panama Canal view on one side and the sea view on the other.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Istanbul Aquarium.|