Istanbul Commerce University
|İstanbul Ticaret Üniversitesi|
|Istanbul Chamber of Commerce University|
|Motto||Uygulamalı eğitimde mükemmeliyet|
|President||Prof. Dr. Erhan Erken|
|Rector||Prof. Dr. Nazım Ekren|
|Colours||Yellow and Black|
|Nickname||İTİCÜ (in Turkish)
ICU (in English)
|Affiliations||Istanbul Chamber of Commerce|
|Sports||Shooting, basketball, dragon boat, football, rowing, orienteering, indoor soccer, chess and volleyball|
Istanbul Commerce University (Turkish: İstanbul Ticaret Üniversitesi) is a private university established in 2001 by the Istanbul Chamber of Commerce. The university offers undergraduate and graduate programs as well as doctorate programs in Istanbul.
The main objective of Istanbul Commerce University is to raise and develop the qualified human capital which will contribute to the Turkish economy, commerce and industry; also using this source to follow scientific and technologic developments in the global scale and transfer the knowledge it produces to the changing world and to Turkish society.
As a well known university in public, it is one of the three most chosen private universities to enroll in nationwide.
The idea of founding Istanbul Commerce University was first proposed by Prof. Dr. İsmail Özarslan, the General Secretary of the Istanbul Chamber of Commerce and a member of the first Board of Trustees.
The university was established by the Foundation of Educational and Social Services of the Istanbul Chamber of Commerce in accordance with the Law of Higher Education (No: 2547) and Regulations on the Institutions of Higher Education Established by Foundations. Initially called "Istanbul Chamber of Commerce University", the institution was renamed Istanbul Commerce University during deliberations of the law in the Turkish Parliament.
The university started its first academic year in 2001-2002 with 73 students admitted through additional quota.
The highest decision-making body of Istanbul Commerce University is the Board of Trustees. The Board of Trustees is appointed by the Foundation of Educational and Social Services of the Istanbul Chamber of Commerce.
The Board of Trustees appoints the Rector, who runs the university.
The university's campuses are located in Üsküdar, Küçükyalı, Eminönü and Sütlüce. Üsküdar campus is home to the English Preparatory Department and 11 undergraduate degree programs. The Continuing Education Centre, Career Planning Unit, Self-Development and Psychological Counselling Unit, Erasmus Coordination Office, TV-Radio studio and other studios are all located in this campus. The Vocational School and Faculty of Engineering are spread over a wide area; two buildings are in Küçükyalı Campus. Faculty of Law, Data Security Research Centre, EU Application and Research Centre and Institutes for graduate courses in business, psychology and computing are located in Eminönü, on the coast of the Golden Horn on the European side of Istanbul.
It is one of the five Turkish universities that traditionally participate in the Willem C. Vis Moot. The university supports, funds and encourages its senior law students to participate in national and international moot court competitions.
It is a cooperative partner of teknoparkistanbul which is a technology complex worth US$2 billion. It also has comprehensive cooperations with the industrial players, since it was founded by the Istanbul Chamber of Commerce (Deductive fallacy. How does being founded by Istanbul Chamber of Commerce give you "comprehensive cooperations with the industrial players").
ICU has more than fifty-five student clubs and societies for social, cultural and intellectual purposes. Some of these fraternities and sororities are Aviation Management, American Football Club, Dance Club, English Drama Club, Photography Club, Sailing Club.
Each year in June, ICU organizes large scale festivities that last 1 to 3 days. With the participation of famous artists, the spring festivities are a popular event among university students in Istanbul.
The Istanbul Commerce University's sports teams of Shooting, Dragon Boat, Basketball, Football, Rowing, Orienteering, Indoor soccer, Chess and Volleyball are among the most successful university sports teams nationwide, since the university excessively supports and attaches great importance to sports activities. In the upper roof of Üsküdar Kampüsü, there is sports hall open for teams and students and staff.
Students of ICU enjoy the Kandilli Cemile Sultan Grove. It contains a preserved small forest, tennis court, swimming pool and basketball court. The university also has a guesthouse in Kadıköy.
Istanbul Commerce University is composed of 6 Faculties, Foreign Language Preparatory School, Vocational School, 3 Institutes and several Centers.
The faculties are the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, the Faculty of Commercial Sciences, the Faculty of Law, the Faculty of Engineering and Design, the Faculty of Communication and the Faculty of Applied Sciences. The Faculty of Arts is constituted of the Departments of Statistics, Mathematics and Psychology; the Faculty of Commercial Sciences is constituted of the Departments of Banking and Finance, Business Administration, Tourism Management, International Relations and International Trade; Faculty of Law includes the Department of Law; the Faculty of Engineering and Design is constituted of the Departments of Computer Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Fashion and Textile Design; the Faculty of Communication is constituted of the departments of Visual Communication Design, Public Relations and Media-Communication Systems.
The Vocational School is designed according to the trends in industry and commerce and the need of intermediate staff in Turkey. In this framework, the Vocational School is made up of programs such as Accounting (Tr/Eng), Foreign Trade, Computer Technology and Programming(Tr/Eng), Computer Technology and Programming (1+1), Air Logistics, Aviation Ground Services, Logistics, Accounting and Taxation Applications and International Logistics.
The university provides a one-year English Preparatory Program which is executed by the English Preparatory School.
Research & Application Centres
- European Union Research R/A Centre
- Intellectual Property and Competition Law R/A Centre
- Continuous Education Center
- TOEFL Center
- Career Planning Center
- Psychological Counseling Center
Bilateral academic cooperation
Istanbul Commerce University actively cooperates with several academic institutes in Turkey, Europe and the United States in order to enhance progress in universal knowledge and science.
Bi-lateral Agreements in Europe
- University of Sheffield, Sheffield, United Kingdom / CITY College, Affiliated Institution of The University Of Sheffield, Thessaloniki, Greece
- De Montfort University, Leicester, United Kingdom
- EU Business Research Centre of University of Birmingham, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Bilateral Agreements in the United States of America
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, Virginia, USA
- Stevens Institute of Technology, New Jersey, USA
- Boston University, Boston, USA / Brussels, BelgIum
- Montana State University, Bozeman, USA
- Institut d'Etudes Politiques de Grenoble, Grenoble, France
- Institut d'études politiques de Rennes, France
- Linköping University (Linköpings Universitet), Linköping, Sweden
- University of Udine (Universita degli Studi di Udine), Udine, Italy
- Fachhochschule des BFI Wien ( University of Applied Sciences BFI Vienna ), Vienna, Austria]
- Hochschule für Technik Stuttgart HfT (Stuttgart University of Applies Sciences), Stuttgart, Germany
- Universita Degli Studi di Roma “La Sapienza”, Italy
- University of Patras, Greece
- TEI of Chalkis, Greece
- University of Salzburg, Austria
- University of Macedonia, Greece
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Istanbul Commerce University.|
- "Introduction". ICU Strategic plan of 2007 - 2012.
- Jurists en route to Vienna, a newspaper column 2012-09-15 Istanbul Commerce University Facebook Page
- Istanbul Commerce University Research and Application Center for Credit Ratings, a newspaper clipping 2012-10-03 Istanbul Commerce University Facebook Page
- Istanbul Commerce University Research and Application Center for Credit Ratings, a newspaper column 2011-12-09 Istanbul Commerce University Facebook Page
- Enormous technopark worth 2 billion with ICU, a newspaper clipping 2012-10-03 Istanbul Commerce University Facebook Page
- University - Industry cooperation being implemented, a newspaper clipping 2012-05-15 Istanbul Commerce University Facebook Page