|Type||Private fashion school|
|Location||Milan, Lombardy, Italy
The school was founded in Milan in 1935 by the tailor Giulio Marangoni, and became a Scuola Professionale Artistica or "professional art school" in 1942. At first the school trained mainly pattern makers and seamstresses; in the 1970s and 1980s it turned towards fashion design, product development and marketing.:185
A London campus was opened in a former textile factory at 30 Fashion Street, Shoreditch, in 2003. A Paris campus on avenue Raymond-Poincaré opened in October 2006. In 2013 the Paris School of Fashion moved to 48 rue de Miromesnil, 75008 Paris. A Shanghai campus opened its doors in 2012.
In 2010 there were about 2200 students of 70 nationalities in three campuses.
The Istituto Marangoni is not listed by the Ministero dell'Istruzione, dell'Università e della Ricerca, the Italian ministry of education, among the institutions authorised to award degrees in music, dance and the arts.
Alumni of the school include Franco Moschino, Domenico Dolce (who left after four months, believing that the school had nothing to teach him), Alessandra Facchinetti, Rafael Lopez and Alessandro Sartori.
- Introducing Marangoni (in Italian). Istituto Marangoni. Archived 28 February 2005.
- Emanuela Cavalca Altan (2012). Moda e design in bilico. Nuove sfide e nuovi lavori (in Italian). Milano: Franco Angeli. ISBN 9788820401207.
- [s.n.] (30 August 2012). University guide 2013: Istituto Marangoni. The Guardian. Accessed August 2015.
- Lucie Muir (29 September 2004). Italian schools expand horizons. International Herald Tribune. (subscription required)
- UKPRN: 10009527: Istituto Marangoni Limited. UK Register of Learning Providers. Accessed August 2015.
- Fashionista: The Top 50 Fashion Schools In The World: The Fashionista Ranking
- Sophie de Tarlé (16 November 2011) L’Institut Marangoni vendu au groupe américain Providence (in French). Educpros.fr. Accessed March 2014.
- Istituzioni autorizzate a rilasciare titoli di Alta Formazione Artistica, Musicale e Coreutica (art.11 DPR 8.7.2005, n.212) (in Italian). Ministero dell'Istruzione, dell'Università e della Ricerca. Accessed March 2014.
- David Taylor, Hayley Randle (2013) Review for Educational Oversight: report of the monitoring visit of Istituto Marangoni, May 2013. The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education. Accessed March 2014.
- [s.n.] (28 August 2012). The fashion school. The Guardian. Accessed August 2015.
- Istituto Marangoni Limited. Higher Education Funding Council for England. Accessed August 2015.
- Ilaria Ciuti (12 June 2015). a Firenze "Piace agli americani" (in Italian). La Repubblica. Accessed September 2015.
- John Seabrook (14 March 2005). Hands and Eyes: When Dolce met Gabbana. The New Yorker. Accessed May 2014.
- Cristina Morozzi (2015). Fashion Forward: The Creatives of Istituto Marangoni (back cover blurb). Milan: Rizzoli. ISBN 9780847846696.