February 14, 1949 |
István Vágó (born as István Vágó on 14 February 1949 in Budapest, Hungary) is a Hungarian television host for the Budapest-based TV2, best known as the host of "Legyen ön is Milliomos" the Hungarian version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?.
Vágó was born and raised in Budapest. His original profession was a chemist, but he found a job working for Medimpex import-export company. Vágó speaks at least five languages. When Vágó started his career he wanted to create a political show, but it was impossible to create one like he wanted (dealing with internal politics, analyzing decisions of the system) at the time so he ended up hosting quiz shows. Vágó has been hosting various game shows, mostly quiz shows, since the '70s. He has become one of the more popular TV personalities in Hungary. He is usually known as "The Quiz Professor" by Hungarians. Vágó hosted Millionaire for several years; after a hiatus the show got back on the air in 2007, with Vágó hosting the redesigned show once again. The second run proved less successful with an eventual cancellation in 2008.
Politics and views
He vocally supports the Hungarian left-wing, most notably former prime minister Ferenc Gyurcsány and the liberal SZDSZ party. He was present at antifascist demonstrations. Vágó spawned controversy when he campaigned vocally for Ferenc Gyurcsány and health minister Ágnes Horváth, both being very unpopular in general public. In 2014 he participates in the elections as a representative of the left wing.
Shows hosted by István Vágó
- Van benne valami
- Kerék Bár
- Az ország tesztje
- Mindent vagy semmit (Hungarian version of Jeopardy!, aired during the mid-1990s)
- Legyen Ön is milliomos! (Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?)
- PókerArc (PokerFace; with Balázs Sebestyén, another Hungarian television host)
- Párbaj (Duel)
- "A 100 legfontosabb magyar (Top 100 of the Most Important Hungarians)" (in Hungarian). haszon.hu. Retrieved 2010-01-27.
- Vágó szerint jobb is, ha a Milliomos illúzióját romboljuk A longer article discussing the end of Millionaire 2008. április 23
- Újraindul a Legyen Ön is milliomos Index/MTI 2007 December 13.