Isulan, Sultan Kudarat
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Municipality of Isulan
Bayan ng Isulan
|Motto: Buylog Isulan, Ugyon kita|
Map of Sultan Kudarat with Isulan highlighted
|Region||SOCCSKSARGEN (Region XII)|
|District||1st District of Sultan Kudarat|
|Founded||August 30, 1957|
|• Mayor||Marites Pallasigue|
|• Total||541.25 km2 (208.98 sq mi)|
|Population (2015 census)|
|• Density||170/km2 (430/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|IDD : area code||+63 (0)64|
|Income class||1st municipal income class|
|Electorate||47,941 voters as of 2016|
|Languages||Hiligaynon, Cebuano, Filipino, English|
Isulan, officially the Municipality of Isulan (Hiligaynon: Banwa sang Isulan; Cebuano: Lungsod sa Isulan; Filipino: Bayan ng Isulan), is a 1st class municipality in the province of Sultan Kudarat, Philippines. It is the provincial capital of Sultan Kudarat. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 90,682 people.
Isulan is centrally located and is accessible to all neighboring towns not only within the province of Sultan Kudarat but also in some municipalities of the province of Maguindanao, South Cotabato and even that of Davao del Sur. It is bounded on the north by the municipality of Esperanza, north-east by the municipality of Lambayong; on the east by Tacurong; on the south by the municipalities of Bagumbayan and Sen. Ninoy Aquino; on the southeast by the municipality of Norala, South Cotabato, and Santo Niño, South Cotabato; and on the west by the Municipalities of Lebak and Kalamansig. It has a total land area of 54,125 hectares (133,750 acres).
- Kalawag I (Urban)(Mopak I)
- Kalawag II (Urban)(Mopac II)
- Kalawag III (Urban)(Mupak III)
- Kenram (Kansai Mopak)
- Kolambog (Abdullaziz)
- Laguilayan(Sultan Paraoh Mopak)
- New Pangasinan(Datu Au Cuison)
- Sampao (Sharrif Abdullah)
- Tayugo(Al Maktoum Al ain)
The present territories of Isulan formerly belonged to the municipalities of Koronadal and Dulawan. The municipality of Koronadal was created under E.O. No. 82 dated August 8, 1947 by Pres. Manuel L. Roxas.
Datu Kudanding Camsa in the latter part of 1956 initiated the creation of another municipality to be taken from the Municipality of Norala.
On March 20, 1957, Engr. Jose M. Ancheta of the Bureau of Public Highways of Cotabato made its first endorsement to the provincial board and laid down the proposed boundaries of the new municipality.
Acting on this report, the provincial board of Cotabato thru Resolution No. 316 series of 1957, petitioned the President of the Philippines to create the proposed municipality.
Executive Order No. 266, pursuant to section 68 of the Administrative Code, issued and signed by the then President Carlos P. Garcia on August 30, 1957, creating the municipality of Isulan, whose territorial jurisdiction was taken from the municipality of Norala, South Cotabato, and Dulawan, Cotabato (now Datu Piang, Maguindanao).
With the creation of the municipality of Isulan, Kalawag became the seat of its government. The municipal government officially functioned on September 12, 1957 with the appointment of its municipal mayor Datu Suma Ampatuan who served until 1967.
The Kalawag Settlement
In 1951, the Board of Directors of the Land Settlement and Development Cooperation (LASEDECO) started the opening of a settlement in an area formerly under the jurisdiction of the National Land Settlement Association (NLSA) as a reservation.
The LASEDECO had surveyed and parceled out home and farm lots and constructed municipal and barrio roads and installed electrical light generators. It had brought-in hundreds of farm tractors which uprooted big trees, cleared obstruction, planned, cleaned and harrowed the wide stretches of the area. What was once a marshy and wild expanse inhabited by snakes, crocodiles, wild cattle, swine, and deer had welcomed the first sprout of seedlings of corn and rice, thus blanketed the horizon in endless green.
When a group of 72 World War II Veterans, led by Venancio Magbanua, Post Commander of Norala had come and settled in the area, on September 7, 1950, a Kalawag root crop used as food coloring was found out abundantly growing.
Then, the early settlers decided to call and register the settlement as “Kalawag Settlement District of LASEDECO”. The area comprising the town site covers approximately 400 hectares.
Immigrants from Visayas and Luzon had now come in shiploads. The most numerous batch was the “PACSA” group headed by Pedro Gabriel and Bienvenido Pamintuan otherwise known as the “Presidential Assistance Commission on Social Amelioration of the President Ramon Magsaysay. His group consisted of the erstwhile and rebellious surrenderees belonging to HUKBALAHAPs from Pampanga.
The Christian settlers would have preferred to decide the name of their new town by referendum. However, Datu Kudanding Camsa, both revered and feared had decided it by himself.
Datu Kudanding had reacted to history of local battles way back in the early 11, to 14, Until 19th, century when a sultanate in the adjacent town of Maganoy under Sultan Utto with a vast army decided to attack a small municipality located in the area now encompassed by the new entity under the leadership of Sultan Kudarat Mopak. Outnumbered with the ratio of 20:1, Sultan Kudarat Mopac on a white horse decided to do battle with his men notwithstanding the odds.
The battle cry of Sultan Kudarat Mopak was the uttering of the word, “ISU-SILAN” which means “They are there, advance”. This intrepid, although suicidal show of force and determination, so impressed by UTTO, that in order to save lives on both sides, he decided to resolve the issue by negotiation, thus placing Kudarat and his principality under his protectorate of Utto, Isulan municipality derived its name from “ISU-SILAN “ which means “Progress”.
On June 21, 1969, President Marcos, signed R.A. No. 5960, creating the municipality of Bagumbayan which cost Isulan more than 85% of its original land area. But of the original land area of 336,000 hectares, only 49,551 hectares were left and from 48 barrios, 17.
Upon the passage of H.B. No. 5020 dividing the province of Cotabato, the Municipal Council of Isulan passed Resolution No. 17 dated May 31, 1972, requesting Congressman Salipada K. Pendatun and Gov. Carlos B. Cajelo that Isulan be made a capital town.
On November 22, 1973, P.D. No. 341 was issued dividing Cotabato provinces, namely; Sultan Kudarat, Maguindanao, and North Cotabato. At the same time, Isulan, which is in the center of the new province, was made its capital.
|Population census of Isulan|
|Source: Philippine Statistics Authority|
The bulk of Isulan's population is predominantly Christian (mostly Roman Catholics) coming from the Visayas and Luzon. The small Muslim population migrated from neighboring towns and provinces. The major languages are:
- Ilonggo (spoken by the great majority)
- Filipino (used as a second language)
- Major Products/Crops: Rice, banana & oil palm; Coconut Plantation
- OTOP (One Town, One Product): Banana - Fresh and Processed
- Product Background: Processed Banana: made from banana fruit abundantly grown in the municipality.
- Product Description: Processed Banana product from Isulan, Sultan Kudarat are products using banana fruit as the primary raw material.
- Product Lines: Banana Chips, Pastillas, Banana Catsup, Vinegar
- Product History: Processed banana in Isulan, Sultan Kudarat started in October 2007 when a group of banana growers and housewives attended a training on Banana Processing held in Isulan. The said training was facilitated by a trainer from Department of Science and Technology Regional Office. It was conducted in cooperation with the Local Government of Isulan, Department of Trade and Industry-Sultan Kudarat and Department of Science and Technology-Sultan Kudarat
- Performance: Sales Since the product is less than a year in the market, average sales is P10,000. per month. This is based on the monthly report monitored by DTI. Sales on months with trade fairs and product exhibit could reach up to P20,000.
- Market: Processed banana are mostly sold locally. An upgrading training specifically on product quality for a more competitive product in the market had been conducted recently.
- Annual Production volume: All banana processors in Isulan was organized to one firm which is now the Banana Processors of Isulan. Support group who supplies the raw material (banana fruit) are yet to be institutionalized.
- Potentials of OTOP: Income generation for the people of Isulan; Improve product quality and packaging and labeling design of the product to capture wider market.
- OTOP SMEs (Small and Medium Enterprises) in the town: There is one association in the municipality of Isulan, the Banana Processors of Isulan which is yet to be institutionalized. It is composed of 25 members/processors.
- Isulan Central Plaza
- MGM Commercial
- Valencia Dry Good Store
- Sky Commercial
- Happy Commercial
- Jollibee (Under Construction)
- CityMall (Under construction)
- Mc Donald (up Coming)
- Land Bank
- Philippine National Bank (PNB)
- Metro Bank
- One Network Band (ONB)
- Banco de Oro (BDO)
- Rizal Commercial Banking Corporation(RCBC)
- Pen Bank
Every month of August 30, the municipality of Isulan is conducting the HAMUNGAYA FESTIVAL to celebrate its Foundation Anniversary. ISULANONS believe that the wealth of arts and culture is expressed in many forms and in so many kinds. The HAMUNGAYA Festival showcases the skills and talents in literary, musical and cultural aspects of the constituents both the young and the old. It is not only unique but is reflective of a special talent in the person as well.
The HAMUNGAYA also depicts the thanksgiving festival of its residents who are mostly engaged in agriculture. This includes rice and corn farming, vegetables and crops production including the famous African palm which has contributed a lot to the utilization of its by-products as construction materials – the uniquely woven ”kalakat” known all over Mindanao.
The festival is divided into two parts: the first part shows the different activities being done in the farm. After which a thanksgiving is performed for their good harvest. The second part shows the merrymaking in the form of dance using different properties and materials that make it very festive.
As a whole, the HAMUNGAYA Festival actually expresses life itself or deep-seated emotion communicated by the emotions of the human body blending with the music. The flow of body movements, the sound of the music and the grace with which the dance is executed all build up the story or emotions being communicated.
No doubt, this is a unique form of art, and along with other activities or talent being displayed during festivities, it is a contribution to the dreams of establishing solidarity among the peoples in the province of Sultan Kudarat.
- Sultan Kudarat Provincial Capitol
- Lagandang Hot Spring/Sulphur Spring
- Kamanga Cave and Falls
- Barangay Bual [Baton Falls] more or less 1 hour from barangay proper
- Daguma Mountain range
- LandMark of The Royalty
- Isulan Doctor's Specialist Center
- Holy Nazarene Clinic and Hospital
- Galinato Hospital
- Sultan Kudarat Provincial Hospital
- Privately run academic schools
- Castillo Technological Development Academy, Inc. (CTDAI)
- Green Valley College Foundation, Inc. (Isulan Campus)
- The Notre Dame of Isulan, Inc. High School Department- Day Class
- The Notre Dame of Isulan, Inc. High School Department- Night Class
- Isulan Community School formerly Isulan Baptist Learning Center
- Montessori Learning Center Inc.(Isulan Campus)
- Diadem Christian School
- Precious Ones Learning Center
- King's College of Isulan - formerly Kalawag Institute
- King David Academy
- Zion Learning Institute
- Government-run schools
East Isulan District Elementary School
- Kalawag Central Elementary Schooltary School
- Kalawag III Elementary School
- Villa Clara Elementary School
- Bonita Elementary School
- Arsenio Elementary School
Central Isulan District Elementary Schools
- Isulan Central Elementary School
- P.C. Bayanihan Elementary School
- Don Juan P. Garcia Memorial Elementary School
- Dansuli Elementary School
- Impao Elementary School
- Datu Talipasan Memorial Elementary School
- Mapantig Elementary School
South Isulan District Elementary Schools
- Maremco Elementary School
- Bambad Central School
- Genzola Elementary School
- Kolambog Elementary School
- Kudanding Elementary School
- San Martin Elementary School
West Isulan District Elementary Schools
- Laguiyalan Central School
- Kamanga Elementary School
- New Egana Elementary School
- D. Lotilla Elementary School
- Tayugo Elementary School
- New Pangasinan Elementary School
- Bual Elementary School
- Lagandang Elementary School
- Mantisao Elementary School
Public Secondary Schools
- Isulan National High School
- Bambad National High School
- Laguilayan National High School
- New Pangasinan High School
- Sultan Ali Akbar Sinenggayan High School
- Government Owned Tertiary Institution
- Sultan Kudarat State University (formerly Sultan Kudarat Polytechnic State College) – Isulan Campus
- Mindanao State University - Sultan Kudarat (Graduate School only)
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 11 September 2013. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "Province: SULTAN KUDARAT". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "Region XII (Soccsksargen)". Census of Population (2015): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). PSA. Retrieved 20 June 2016.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010". 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 7 June 2016.
- "Region XII (Soccsksargen)". Census of Population and Housing (2010): Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay (Report). NSO. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Region XII (Soccsksargen)". Census of Population (1995, 2000 and 2007): Total Population by Province, City and Municipality (Report). NSO. Archived from the original on 24 June 2011.
- "Schools in Isulan". Retrieved 2011-07-06.
- "Suktan Kudarat State University Isulan Campus". Retrieved 2011-07-06.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Isulan, Sultan Kudarat.|
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System
Tantangan, South Cotabato
|Kalamansig||Sen. Ninoy Aquino / Bagumbayan||Norala, South Cotabato|