It's All About Love
|It's All About Love|
|Directed by||Thomas Vinterberg|
|Written by||Thomas Vinterberg
|Music by||Zbigniew Preisner|
|Edited by||Valdís Óskarsdóttir|
It's All About Love is a 2003 romance-drama film written and directed by Thomas Vinterberg. Its narrative can be classified as apocalyptic science fiction, but Vinterberg prefers to call it "a dream". Unlike the director's earlier Danish-language films, It's All About Love is entirely in English and stars Joaquin Phoenix, Claire Danes and Sean Penn. The production was led by Denmark's Nimbus Film, but the film was largely an international co-production, with involvement of companies from nine different countries in total. It was very poorly received by film critics.
- Joaquin Phoenix as John
- Claire Danes as Elena
- Sean Penn as Marciello
- Douglas Henshall as Michael
- Alun Armstrong as David
- Margo Martindale as Betsy
- Mark Strong as Arthur
- Geoffrey Hutchings as Mr. Morrison
|This article needs a plot summary. Please add one. (July 2013)|
|This section does not cite any sources. (April 2011)|
At a certain point during production Vinterberg called up Ingmar Bergman and asked him to come and help him finish the film, as he felt he could not complete it himself. Vinterberg recalled that:
- He roared with laughter and said I had to be out of my mind. There was nothing he was less interested in. And he also said I was an idiot that had not decided fast enough what to do after The Celebration (Festen), which he, by the way, called a masterpiece. It was a very contended conversation.
(From an interview in Berlingske Tidende.)
The film was not very successful, and critics mostly panned it. Richard Roeper called the film "like Kubrick with a talent-ectomy" and Jack Matthews of the New York Daily News declared that "Surely, Vinterberg was high on some inert gas when he embarked on it". Dennis Lim of the Village Voice, however found something to like in the film:
- It's All About Love is, by any measure, a colossal folly – ridiculed at its Sundance '03 premier, supposedly disowned by its stars (rumor has it Claire Danes burst into tears upon seeing the end result) and jettisoned by original distributor Focus. But this $10 million Danish-British-French-U.S.-Japanese-Swedish-Norwegian-German-Dutch co-production is a film maudit for the ages — rapturous and inexplicable in equal measure.
- village voice > film > It's All About Love by Dennis Lim
- Rotten Tomatoes rating: 14% positive. For individual reviews, see box on the right.
- Official website
- It's All About Love at the Internet Movie Database
- Director interview about film
- Nimbus Film official website