It's Over (Roy Orbison song)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Single by Roy Orbison|
|Writer(s)||Roy Orbison, Bill Dees|
|Roy Orbison singles chronology|
Produced by Fred Foster and released as a 45rpm single by Monument Records in 1964, "It's Over" typifies the operatic rock ballad. The single entered the United States Cashbox chart on April 11, 1964, peaking at No.10 (on May 23, 1964), and reached No. 9 on the Billboard pop music chart. Meanwhile, after entering the United Kingdom singles chart on April 30, 1964, "It's Over" reached No. 1 on June 25, 1964 (making it Orbison's second UK No. 1 single [the first was "Only the Lonely" in 1960]). "It's Over" spent 2 weeks at No.1 on the UK singles chart, out of a total of 18 weeks on that chart.
"It's Over" was recorded by Bonnie Tyler with the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra on her 2003 album Heart Strings and by Billy Mackenzie on the 1982 British Electric Foundation album "Music of Quality and Distinction Volume One". It was sung by Michael Caine in the 1998 film Little Voice.
- Rice, Jo (1982). The Guinness Book of 500 Number One Hits (1st ed.). Enfield, Middlesex: Guinness Superlatives Ltd. p. 80. ISBN 0-85112-250-7.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). The Billboard Book of Top 40 Hits: Eighth Edition. Record Research. p. 470.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 164. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Jonathan Meiburg of Shearwater plays "It's Over" by Roy Orbison". Avclub.com. Retrieved 13 April 2013.
- Dilluvio, Carrie (August 20, 2014). "Miley Cyrus Set to Perform on the Live Series Finale of Chelsea Lately—Find Out What She's Singing!". E! Online. Retrieved August 21, 2014.
"You're My World" by Cilla Black
|UK number one single
"It's Over" by Roy Orbison
June 25, 1964 (2 weeks)
"House of the Rising Sun" by The Animals
|This 1960s pop song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|