It Chapter Two
|Directed by||Andy Muschietti|
|Screenplay by||Gary Dauberman|
by Stephen King
|Music by||Benjamin Wallfisch|
|Edited by||Jason Ballantine|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros. Pictures|
It:Chapter Two is an upcoming American supernatural horror film and the sequel to the 2017 film It, both based on the 1986 novel It by Stephen King. The film is directed by Andy Muschietti and written by Gary Dauberman. Set in 2016, 27 years after the events depicted in the first film, it stars Bill Skarsgård as Pennywise the Clown, along with James McAvoy, Jessica Chastain, Bill Hader, Isaiah Mustafa, Jay Ryan, James Ransone, and Andy Bean, who portray the adult versions of The Losers Club. Jaeden Lieberher, Sophia Lillis, Finn Wolfhard, Chosen Jacobs, Jeremy Ray Taylor, Jack Dylan Grazer, and Wyatt Oleff return from the first film as the younger Losers.
Talks for an It sequel began in February 2016, when Muschietti revealed the plan to get production underway. By September 2017, New Line Cinema announced that the sequel would be released in September 2019, with Dauberman writing the script, and Muschietti expected to direct the film. Principal photography on the film began in June 2018, at Pinewood Toronto Studios and on locations in and around Port Hope, Oshawa, and Toronto, Ontario, and wrapped on October 31, 2018.
Because every 27 years, evil revisits the town of Derry, Maine, IT Chapter Two brings the characters — who've long since gone their separate ways — back together as adults, nearly three decades after the events of the first film.
The Losers' Club
- James McAvoy as Bill Denbrough:
The stuttering yet resourcefully determined former leader of the Losers' Club who, out of revenge against It for killing his brother Georgie, led them in their fight against Pennywise in 1989 and had them promise to return to Derry if It resurfaces. As an adult, Bill becomes a successful mystery novelist while also married to film star Audra Phillips.
- Jaeden Martell as Young Bill Denbrough
- Jessica Chastain as Beverly Marsh:
The only female member of the Losers' Club, who was abused physically and sexually by her father, was bullied at school over false rumors of promiscuity, and was Bill's love interest. As an adult, she has become a successful fashion designer in Chicago while enduring several abusive relationships that include her marriage to Tom Rogan.
- Sophia Lillis as Young Beverly Marsh
- Jay Ryan as Ben Hanscom:
A member of the Losers' Club who fought against It and was bullied as a child because of being overweight. As an adult, he is thin and is a successful architect living in Nebraska.
- Jeremy Ray Taylor as Young Ben Hanscom
- Bill Hader as Richie Tozier:
Bill's bespectacled best friend and fellow member of the Losers' Club, whose loud mouth and foul language often get him into trouble. Richie becomes a successful DJ in Los Angeles.
- Finn Wolfhard as Young Richie Tozier
- Isaiah Mustafa as Mike Hanlon:
A member of the Losers' Club who fought against It, Mike is the only one to stay behind in Derry and becomes the town librarian while summoning the other Losers back to Derry when It resurfaces. Mike also has a serious substance abuse problem stemming from being traumatized by the events in his childhood.
- Chosen Jacobs as Young Mike Hanlon
- James Ransone as Eddie Kaspbrak:
A member of the Losers' Club who is the epitome of a hypochondriac, overly exaggerated by the immense number of objects in his medicine cabinet. Eddie runs a successful limousine business in New York City and is married to Myra, who is very similar to his overbearing mother.
- Jack Dylan Grazer as Young Eddie Kaspbrak
- Andy Bean as Stan Uris:
A member of the Losers' Club who fought against It. Stan becomes a partner in a large Atlanta-based accounting firm and married to Patty Blum, a teacher.
- Wyatt Oleff as Young Stan Uris
Forms of It
- Bill Skarsgård as It / Pennywise the Dancing Clown:
An ancient, trans-dimensional evil that awakens every twenty-seven years to feed on the fear of children that it murders. Pennywise was overpowered and seriously wounded by the Losers' Club in 1989, forcing it into early hibernation. This defeat motivates the being to rebuild its strength and exact revenge against the Losers' Club once they return to Derry.
- Jackson Robert Scott as Georgie Denbrough:
Bill's deceased younger brother. His arm was bitten off by Pennywise in October 1988, which culminated in the events of the summer of 1989. He reprises his role from the first film.
- Joan Gregson as Mrs. Kersh:
An apparently sweet and gentle elderly woman, but truly a horrifying and creepy monster, who lives in Beverly Marsh's childhood house.
- Teach Grant as Henry Bowers:
A psychopath who terrorized the Losers' Club in the summer of 1989 before he was committed for murdering his father. He's determined to once again try to kill the Losers' Club.
- Jess Weixler as Audra Phillips:
A successful actress and Bill's wife.
- Will Beinbrink as Tom Rogan:
Beverly's abusive husband.
- Xavier Dolan as Adrian Mellon:
A young gay Derry citizen that is attacked with his boyfriend Don by a group of youths during a festival. He becomes the first victim of an awakened It, triggering the Losers' return to Derry.
- Taylor Frey as Don Hagarty:
Adrian's boyfriend who is also attacked by a group of youths during a festival. He also witnessed Adrian being killed by It.
- Jake Weary as John "Webby" Garton:
One of the bullies who brutally attacked Adrian and Don.
- Erik Junnola as Steve Dubay:
Webby's best friend and one of the bullies who brutally attacked Adrian and Don.
- Connor Smith as Christopher Unwin:
A friend of Webby and Steve and one of the bullies who brutally attacked Adrian and Don.
- Javier Botet
Botet portrayed the leper, one of the forms of It, encountered by Eddie in the first film, and will appear in the second film in an undisclosed role.
Maturin the Turtle will make an appearance in the film. Director Muschietti said the character will have a prominent role in the film.
On February 16, 2016, producer Roy Lee, in an interview with Collider, mentioned a second film, remarking, "[Dauberman] wrote the most recent draft working with [Muschietti], so it's being envisioned as two movies".
On July 19, 2017, Muschietti revealed that the plan is to get production underway for the sequel to It next spring, adding, "We'll probably have a script for the second part in January . Ideally, we would start prep in March. Part one is only about the kids. Part two is about these characters 27 years later as adults, with flashbacks to 1989 when they were kids."
On July 21, 2017, Muschietti spoke of looking forward to having a dialogue in the second film that does not exist within the first, stating, "... it seems like we're going to do it. It's the second half, it's not a sequel. It's the second half and it's very connected to the first one." Muschietti confirmed that two cut scenes from the first film will hopefully be included in the second, one of which being the fire at the Black Spot from the book.
On September 25, 2017, New Line Cinema announced that the sequel would be released on September 6, 2019, with Gary Dauberman and Jeffrey Jurgensen writing the script. Andy Muschietti was also expected to return to direct the sequel.
In September 2017, Muschietti and his sister mentioned that Jessica Chastain would be their top choice to play the adult version of Beverly Marsh. In November 2017, Chastain herself expressed interest in the project. Finally, in February 2018, Chastain officially joined the cast to portray the character, making the film her second collaboration with Muschietti after Mama.
In June 2018, Isaiah Mustafa joined the cast to portray the adult version of Mike Hanlon, while Xavier Dolan and Will Beinbrink were also cast as Adrian Mellon and Tom Rogan respectively. Later, Teach Grant was cast to play the adult version of Henry Bowers, previously played by Nicholas Hamilton in the first film, and Jess Weixler also joined the film to play Bill's wife. This also marks the second collaboration between McAvoy, Chastain, Hader, Weixler and Beinbrink after The Disappearance of Eleanor Rigby.
Principal photography on the film began on June 19, 2018, at Pinewood Toronto Studios and on locations in and around Port Hope, Oshawa and Toronto, Ontario, and wrapped on October 30, 2018.
The visual effects were provided by Method Studios, Supervised by Josh Simmonds and Nicholas Brooks as the Production Supervisor with help from Atomic Arts, Cubica, Lola VFX, Make VFX, Rodeo FX and Soho VFX.
The first image of the adult versions of the Losers Club was released on July 2, 2018 while principal photography began. The first teaser poster of the film was released on October 31, 2018. Footage from the film was shown at the CinemaCon on April 2, 2019.
- "Evil Resurfaces in Derry as Cameras Roll on New Line Cinema's "IT: CHAPTER TWO"". Business Wire. July 2, 2018. Retrieved July 10, 2018.
- "It Chapter Two Billing Block on Official Site". Warner Bros. May 29, 2019. Retrieved May 29, 2019.
- Kit, Borys (April 12, 2018). "James McAvoy, Bill Hader in Talks to Star in 'It Chapter Two'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 14, 2018.
- Kroll, Justin (February 20, 2018). "Jessica Chastain in Talks to Star in 'It' Sequel (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved April 12, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (23 May 2018). "'It Chapter Two' Cast Grows: Jay Ryan To Play Adult Ben Hanscom".
- Kroll, Justin (June 9, 2018). "'It: Chapter 2' Casts Isaiah Mustafa as Adult Mike". Variety. Retrieved June 10, 2018.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (16 May 2018). "James Ransone & Andy Bean Join 'It: Chapter Two' – Update".
- Kroll, Justin (June 25, 2018). "'It: Chapter 2': Teach Grant to Play Adult Henry Bowers (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved June 25, 2018.
- N'Duka, Amanda (June 21, 2018). "IT Chapter Two: Xavier Dolan & Will Beinbrink Cast In New Line Sequel". Deadline. Retrieved July 3, 2018.
- Javier Botet Has a Role in 'Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark' So Get Ready for the Nightmares
- Colburn, Randall (September 11, 2018). "It: Chapter Two will feature one of the book's weirdest scenes (no, not that one)". Consequence of Sound. Retrieved July 7, 2019.
- Chitwood, Adam (February 19, 2016). "Exclusive: 'It' Movie Hopefully Shooting This Year; Will Be Rated-R". Collider. Archived from the original on June 26, 2016. Retrieved June 27, 2016.
- Foutch, Haleigh (July 19, 2017). "'IT' Director Andy Muschietti Says He's Coming Back for a Sequel". Collider. Archived from the original on July 20, 2017. Retrieved July 20, 2017.
- Zinski, Dan (July 19, 2017). "Second IT Movie Adaptation Aims to Start Filming Next Year". Screen Rant. Archived from the original on July 21, 2017. Retrieved July 20, 2017.
- Brew, Simon (July 20, 2017). "Stephen King's It sequel set to start filming next spring". Den of Geek. Retrieved July 20, 2017.[permanent dead link]
- Wax, Alyse (July 20, 2017). "STEPHEN KING'S IT ALREADY HAS A SEQUEL PLANNED". Syfy. Archived from the original on July 20, 2017. Retrieved July 20, 2017.
- Foutch, Haleigh (July 21, 2017). "'IT' Director Andy Muschietti on Reinventing Pennywise and Sequel Plans". Collider. Retrieved July 22, 2017.
- O'Connell, Sean (July 22, 2017). "Why The IT Movie Left The Adult Storyline Out Of The First Film". CinemaBlend. Retrieved July 23, 2017.
- Foutch, Haleigh (July 27, 2017). "The 'IT' Movie Had to Cut Two Crazy Scenes to Stay On-Budget". Collider.com. Retrieved July 27, 2017.
- McNary, Dave (September 25, 2017). "'It' Sequel Sets September 2019 Release Date". Variety.com. Retrieved July 25, 2017.
- Kit, Borys (September 7, 2017). "'It' Movie Sequel Plans Move Forward at New Line". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 25, 2017.
- McNary, Dave (December 6, 2017). "Are You Afraid Of The Dark? Movie Gets October 2019 Release". Variety. Retrieved December 6, 2017.
- McNary, Dave (September 7, 2017). "'It' Sequel Moves Ahead With Screenwriter Gary Dauberman". Variety. Retrieved September 26, 2017.
- Kroll, Justin (September 11, 2017). "'It' Director on Box Office Shock, Sequel Plans". Variety. Retrieved April 12, 2018.
- "Jessica Chastain Is Definitely Down to Play Adult Beverly in 'IT 2'". 6 November 2017.
- "'It Chapter Two' Casts Andy Bean as Stanley Uris". 16 May 2018.
- Musnicky, Sarah (June 20, 2018). "Production Begins on IT: Chapter 2! - ComingSoon.net". ComingSoon.net. Retrieved June 20, 2018.
- "Hanging out in Port Hope with Pennywise: Stargazing". omegaunderground.com. September 2, 2018. Retrieved September 2, 2018.
- "'It Chapter Two' Expected To Shoot In Port Hope/Toronto Next Year - Omega Underground". Durham Region. August 25, 2018. Retrieved September 2, 2018.
- Marc, Christopher (April 7, 2018). "'IT: Chapter 2' Enters Pre-Production and Will Shoot July–October - Omega Underground". omegaunderground.com. Retrieved April 12, 2018.
- Marc, Christopher (November 27, 2017). "'It Chapter Two' Expected To Shoot In Port Hope/Toronto Next Year - Omega Underground". omegaunderground.com. Archived from the original on 2018-06-20. Retrieved April 12, 2018.
- "It Chapter Two - The Art of VFX". www.artofvfx.com. Retrieved May 13, 2019.
- "First Trailer for 'It: Chapter Two' Arrives This Week". May 9, 2019. Retrieved May 9, 2019.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (September 25, 2017). "'It' Sequel Carves Out 2019 Post-Labor Day Release". Deadline. Retrieved September 30, 2017.