It Must Be Magic
|It Must Be Magic|
|Studio album by Teena Marie|
|Released||May 14, 1981|
44:34 (original release)
|Teena Marie chronology|
|Robert Christgau||A- |
It Must Be Magic is the fourth studio album by Teena Marie, released in 1981. It was her last album for Motown and the highest-selling of Marie's tenure with Motown. Like Irons in the Fire, it was fully written and produced by Marie herself, and received a positive critical reception.
In 2002, the album was re-released in a remastered and expanded CD edition containing three additional tracks (two of which were recorded during a live concert in Long Beach, California).
All songs written by Teena Marie, except where noted.
- "It Must Be Magic" – 6:07
- "Revolution" – 4:27
- "Where's California" – 5:24
- "365" – 4:10
- "Opus 111 (Does Anybody Care)" – 1:27
- "Square Biz" (Marie, Allen McGrier) – 6:40
- "The Ballad of Cradle Rob and Me" (Marie, Jill D. Jones) – 3:24
- "Portuguese Love" – 7:17
- "Yes Indeed" – 4:57
- "Square Biz [Instrumental]" – 6:40 (expanded edition)
- "Someday We'll All Be Free" (Donny Hathaway) – 1:57 (expanded edition - live recording)
- "Déjà Vu" (Rick James) – 12:26 (expanded edition - live recording)
- Teena Marie - Lead and Backing Vocals, Synthesizer
- Patrice Rushen, Scott Markus DeTurk, James S. Stewart Jr. - Keyboards
- Allen McGrier, Oscar Alston, Charles A. Glenn Jr. - Bass
- Tom McDermott, Josef Andre Parson - Guitar
- Paul Hines - Drums
- Bill Wolfer, Allen McGrier - Synthesizer
- Lloyd Lindroth - Harp
- Daniel LeMelle - Saxophone
- Gerald Albright - Saxophone, Tenor Flute
- John Ervin - Trombone, Flute
- Eric Butler, Kenneth Scott - Trumpet
- Cliff Ervin, Roy Poper - Piccolo Flute
- Rick James, Diedra Joseph, Glenn Carl Leonard, Jackie Ruffin, Jill D. Jones, Melvin Franklin, Mickey Boyce Hearn, Otis Williams, Julia Waters, Maxine Waters, Pattie Brooks, Anthony Brockert, Christopher Anthony Boehme, Diedra Joseph, Dwayne Wedlan, Ginny Pallante, Grayland Taylor, Ray Townsend - Backing Vocals
|1981||It Must Be Magic||23||2|
|"It Must Be Magic"||—||30||—|
- "Square Biz"
- "Portuguese Love"