It Never Rains in Southern California
|"It Never Rains in Southern California"|
|Single by Albert Hammond|
|from the album It Never Rains in Southern California|
|B-side||"Anyone Here in the Audience"|
|Released||October 21, 1972 (United States)|
3:20 (7" version)
|Songwriter(s)||Albert Hammond, Mike Hazlewood|
|Producer(s)||Albert Hammond, Don Altfeld|
|Albert Hammond singles chronology|
"It Never Rains in Southern California", written by Albert Hammond and Mike Hazlewood, is a song first released by Hammond, a British born singer-songwriter, in 1972. Instrumental backing was provided by L.A. session musicians from the Wrecking Crew. The song is from his album, It Never Rains in Southern California. Hammond's version peaked at number five on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 that year.
In the UK the song is perhaps the quintessential example of a turntable hit: a song which, although very frequently played and requested on radio, never makes it into the charts. Through the 1970s, the record was re-issued at least five times by various labels but remained outside the UK top 40, despite yet more airplay, and is still frequently to be heard on UK radio.
The song concerns the struggles of an actor who moves out to California to pursue a career in Hollywood but does not have any success and deteriorates in the process. In the chorus, Hammond sings: "It never rains in California, but girl don't they warn ya. It pours, man, it pours."
In 1989, Hammond re-recorded the song for his Best of Me greatest hits compilation.
Albert Hammond version
|Canada RPM Top Singles||2|
|Canada RPM Adult Contemporary||38|
|Dutch Singles Chart||21|
|Japanese Oricon Singles Chart||11|
|Japanese Oricon International Chart||1|
|Norwegian VG-lista Singles Chart||3|
|New Zealand (Listener)||2|
|Swiss Singles Chart||5|
|US Billboard Hot 100||5|
|US Billboard Easy Listening||2|
|US Cash Box Top 100||2|
|West German Singles Chart||9|
Saori Minami version
|Japanese Oricon Singles Chart||77|
Trent Summar & the New Row Mob version
|U.S. Billboard Hot Country Songs||74|
- Stephen Thomas Erlewine. "Hard to Find 45s on CD, Vol. 14 - Various Artists | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-01-30.
- Hartman, Kent (2012). The Wrecking Crew. St. Martin’s Griffin. pp. 261–263. ISBN 978-1-250-03046-7.
- "Albert Hammond - It Never Rains In Southern California 1989". YouTube. 2013-11-25. Retrieved 2016-10-07.
- "Forum - 1970 (ARIA Charts: Special Occasion Charts)". Australian-charts.com. Archived from the original on 2016-10-20. Retrieved 2017-05-07.
- RPM 100 Singles, January 13, 1973
- RPM Adult Contemporary, January 13, 1973
- "dutchcharts.nl Albert Hammond - It Never Rains In Southern California". dutchcharts.nl. MegaCharts. Retrieved January 8, 2010.
- "List of number-one singles on the Japanese Oricon International Chart (1968-2000)". Oricon. Archived from the original on 2015-04-21. Retrieved 2008-08-01.
- "norwegiancharts.com Albert Hammond - It Never Rains in Southern California". VG-lista. Retrieved 2008-08-01.
- [http://www.flavourofnz.co.nz/index.php?qpageID=search%20listener&qartistid=1415#n_view_location Flavour of New Zealand, 29 January 1973
- "Albert Hammond - It Never Rains In Southern California - hitparade.ch". Swiss Music Charts. Retrieved 1 January 2010.
- "allmusic ((( Albert Hammond > Charts & Awards > Billboard Singles )))". allmusic.com. Billboard Charts. Retrieved January 12, 2010.
- Günter Ehnert (ed.): Hit Bilanz. Deutsche Chart Singles 1956 - 1980. Hamburg: Taurus Press 1990, p. 91
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-10-16. Retrieved 2009-01-12.