|Founded||Turin, Italy February 13, 1968 as Studi Italiani Realizzazione Prototipi S.p.A.|
|Fate||Controlling interest acquired by Lamborghini Holding S.p.A. (August 09, 2010)|
|Dirk Große-Loheide Chairman|
Antonio Casu CEO
|Services||Styling, Engineering, Pre-Series, Testing & Validation, Industrial Design|
|Revenue||€193 million (2015)|
Number of employees
|Footnotes / references|
Coordinates: 44°58′14″N 7°42′34″E / 44.970628°N 7.709398°E
Italdesign Giugiaro S.p.A. is a design and engineering company and brand based in Moncalieri, Italy, that traces its roots to the 1968 foundation of Studi Italiani Realizzazione Prototipi S.p.A. by Giorgetto Giugiaro and Aldo Mantovani. Best known for its automobile design work, Italdesign also offers product design, project management, styling, packaging, engineering, modeling, prototyping and testing services to manufacturers worldwide. As of 2010, Italdesign employs 800 people.
On August 9, 2010, Volkswagen Group subsidiary Audi's subsidiary Lamborghini acquired 90.1% of the shares of Italdesign Giugiaro S.p.A., including the brand name rights and patents. The remaining shares were sold to Audi on 28 June 2015, with Giorgetto Giugiaro resigning from the firm at the same time.
Giorgetto Giugiaro and Aldo Mantovani founded Studi Italiani Realizzazione Prototipi S.p.A., the company that would eventually become Italdesign, on February 13, 1968, in Moncalieri, Italy.
Volkswagen and Italdesign have a history of working together that dates back to the early 1970s.
Former Volkswagen AG Chairman Ferdinand Piëch apprenticed at Italdesign during the summer of 1972, learning about engineering and design. Italdesign is responsible for the design of several notable Volkswagen vehicles including the first generation Volkswagen Golf (1974), Volkswagen Scirocco (1974) and Volkswagen Passat (1973) and the Audi 80 (1974).
In May 2010, Italdesign agreed to transfer 90.1% of its shares to Audi AG subsidiary Lamborghini Holding S.p.A. in order to keep Volkswagen's Italian holdings bundled together. The purchase price was not disclosed. The Giugiaro family retained ownership of the remaining shares. Both Giorgetto Giugiaro and his son, Fabrizio Giugiaro, continued to have active roles in the company. In July 2015 it was announced that Giorgetto Giugiaro had left and sold the remaining shares to Audi AG.
Following a large-scale cooperation with SEAT - already dating back to the 1980s - Italdesign created a new firm, Diseño Industrial Italdesign Srl, in SEAT's hometown Barcelona, Spain, in 1992 to design and construct models, master models and prototypes for the Spanish manufacturing industry. This subsidiary is known today as Italdesign Giugiaro Barcelona SL. In 2017 the company founded a daughter company dedicated to building collector vehicles. Named ITALDESIGN AUTOMOBILI SPECIALI, the new brand will feature on all vehicles constructed in ultra low series production, aimed at a number of selected collectors. The first car to be produced is the Zerouno with a production of only five units.
Automobili Speciali Cars
Cars produced or planned by the new group.
|Italdesign Zerouno Duerta (Spider)||2018||0/1 |
Italdesign acquired SALLIG, a company founded in 1960 that designs and builds acrylic, cast iron and zamak matrices for automotive, aeronautical and household appliance prototypes.
Italdesign acquired ETM (Engineering Technologies Methods), a company founded in 1984 that creates silicone prototypes, allowing the transition from an acrylic prototype to a more refined prototype with characteristics similar to the finished product.
Italdesign-Giugiaro S.p.A. is headquartered 10 km south of Turin, Italy, in Moncalieri. Best known for its automobile design work, Italdesign also offers project management, styling, packaging, engineering, modeling, prototyping and testing services.
Italdesign has 993 employees and generated over €193 million revenue in 2015.
Under Volkswagen Group ownership, Rupert Stadler is the Chairman of the Board and Jörg Astalosch is CEO.
Automotive design work
Italdesign has been credited for the design of a wide variety of concept and production cars since the firm's founding in 1968.
- Giorgetto Giugiaro
- Fabrizio Giugiaro
- Carlo Gaino
- ^ a b c d e f VOLKSWAGEN AG 2010a.
- ^ VOLKWAGEN AG 2010a. sfn error: no target: CITEREFVOLKWAGEN_AG2010a (help)
- ^ a b c VOLKSWAGEN AG 2010.
- ^ a b c d Automobilwoche 2010.
- ^ a b c Italdesign 2011a.
- ^ a b c Italdesign 2011.
- ^ Chairman 2020 Dirk Große-Loheide since April 1st, 2020 (even as Audi), downloaded 9. June 2020
- ^ a b Italdesign 2010.
- ^ a b c d e f Conceptcarz 2011.
- ^ Ciferri, Luca (2 July 2015). "Legendary car designer Giugiaro quits company that bears his name". Automotive News.
- ^ a b Ciferri 2010.
- ^ Italdesign 2011b.
- ^ "ITALDESIGN CELEBRATES ITS 50TH ANNIVERSARY AT PARCO VALENTINO" (PDF). www.italdesign.it. Italdesign. p. 4. Retrieved 11 April 2020.
- ^ AUDI AG 2012.
- ^ "Italdesign Automobili Speciale". Italdesign. Retrieved 8 September 2017.
- ^ a b c "Projects". italdesign.it (official website). Retrieved 8 September 2017.
- ^ "All the news by Italdesign, in order to be always up to date". Italdesign news. Retrieved 8 September 2017.
- ^ "Italdesign Company". Italdesign. Retrieved 8 September 2017.
- ^ AMC AMX#AMX/3
- ^ "1973 Audi Asso di Picche by Italdesign". diseno-art.com.[permanent dead link]
- ^ "Ssangyong relaunches brand with Giugiaro-designed Korando". Cardesignnews. Retrieved 13 October 2010.
- ^ "Carlo Gaino". automotivedesignconference.com. Retrieved 6 October 2021.
- Ciferri, Luca (2010-05-25). "Volkswagen says Italdesign purchase will boost its growth strategy". autoweek.com. Crain Communications, Inc. Archived from the original on 2011-06-28. Retrieved 2011-02-22.
- "Info - Contacts". italdesign.it. Italdesign Giugiaro S.p.A. 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-07-07. Retrieved 2011-02-22.
- "Italdesign History". www.conceptcarz.com. conceptcarz.com. 2011. Archived from the original on 2012-03-19. Retrieved 2011-02-22.
- "Projects". italdesign.it. Italdesign Giugiaro S.p.A. 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-07-22. Retrieved 2011-02-22.
- "Services". italdesign.it. Italdesign Giugiaro S.p.A. 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-07-07. Retrieved 2011-02-22.
- "Statement of Interests Pursuant to Sections 285 and 313 of the German Commercial Code" (PDF). AUDI AG. 2012-02-17. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2019-09-21. Retrieved 2012-07-30.
Italdesign Giugiaro S.p.A., Turin (Italy) 90.1%
- "Volkswagen Group completes acquisition of majority shareholding in Italdesign Giugiaro" (Press release). VOLKSWAGEN AG. 2010-08-09. Archived from the original on 2011-07-17. Retrieved 2011-02-22.
- "Volkswagen Group takes majority shareholding in Italdesign Giugiaro" (Press release). Italdesign Giugiaro S.p.A. 2010-05-25. Archived from the original on 2011-07-08. Retrieved 2011-02-22.
- "Volkswagen Group takes majority shareholding in Italdesign Giugiaro" (Press release). VOLKSWAGEN AG. 2010-05-25. Archived from the original on 2011-07-17. Retrieved 2011-02-22.
- "VW schließt Mehrheitserwerb an Giugiaro ab" [VW completes acquisition of majority of Giugiaro]. automobilwoche.de (in German). Crain Communications GmbH. 2010-08-09. Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2012-08-03.