|Founder(s)||Kevin Chen, Yongyue Jiang|
|Alexa rank||5,085 (September 2017[update])|
italki // is an online language learning website which connects language learners and teachers through video chat. The site allows students to find online teachers for 1-on-1 tutoring, and teachers to earn money as freelance tutors.
One can choose online language lessons taught by a professional teacher, who provides structured learning plans, or a community tutor. 
In 2007, Kevin Chen and Yongyue Jiang cofounded italki as an online language exchange community. At the start, the site was focused on building free features for the community. In 2009, the site launched its teacher marketplace, allowing teachers to earn money by providing online tutoring services. Teachers on italki set their own price and time schedule.
In 2012, italki raised angel funding from independent investors. In 2016, italki raised $3 million from Hujiang, a Baidu-invested Chinese education company with over 100 million users.
As of July 2017, italki has more than 3 million users from more than 100 countries, and 5000 teachers. English is the most popular language being studied, followed by Spanish, French, Chinese, and Japanese. The site offers more than 100 languages, including endangered ones such as Native American Blackfoot and South African Xhosa.
- Language education
- Online education
- Community language learning
- Online platforms for collaborative consumption
- "italki.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2017-09-21.
- "Online alternatives to language classrooms open up to students," Nik Peachey, The Guardian, https://www.theguardian.com/education/2011/jul/05/online-english-language-learning-peachey, July 5th, 2011
- "italki.com Free Skype VoIP and IM Language Partner Community," Freelanguage.org, https://freelanguage.org/learn/italki-com-free-skype-voip-and-im-language-partner-community, 2007
- "Redes Sociales Para Aprender Idiomas" [Social Networks For Language Learning] (in Spanish). El Pais. 6 February 2015. Retrieved 28 September 2017.
- "Social networking sites take language learning out of classroom". South China Morning Post. 8 July 2008. Retrieved 2017-09-28.
- "How to Successfully Learn a New Language This Year," Benny Lewis, Lifehacker, https://lifehacker.com/5974670/how-to-successfully-learn-a-new-language-this-year/, October 1st, 2010
- “Secrets of Learning a language - quickly,” Benny Lewis, BBC, http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20150225-secrets-to-learning-a-language, March 3rd, 2015
- “italki launches marketplace for language tutors," Camille Ricketts, VentureBeat, https://venturebeat.com/2009/03/25/italki-launches-marketplace-for-language-tutors/, March 25th, 2009
- "Professores deixam salas de aulas para ensinar línguas online" [Teachers Leave Classrooms to Teach Languages Online] (in Portuguese). Diario de Noticias. 17 July 2017. Retrieved 28 September 2017.
- "6 Legit Ways to Make Money From Home That You’ve Never Heard Of,” Bob Lotich, HuffingtonPost, http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bob-lotich/6-legit-ways-to-make-mone_b_4638907.html, January 25th, 2014
- “Language Learning Marketplace italki Gets Seed Funding,” Steven Millward, Tech in Asia, https://www.techinasia.com/italki-seed-funding/, August 3rd, 2012
- “Six Years In, Language Learning Site Italki Finds Its Angels,” Hamish Mckenzie, Pando, https://pando.com/2012/08/09/six-years-in-language-learning-site-italki-finds-its-angels/, August 9th, 2012
- “Shanghai-based startup italki raises US$3M to help Chinese students find language tutors,” Yon Heong Tung, e27, https://e27.co/this-shanghai-based-startup-has-raised-us3m-to-help-chinese-students-find-language-tutors-20160624/, June 24th, 2016
- “China: Hujiang invests $3m in ed-tech startup Italki,” Anirvan Ghosh, Deal Street Asia, https://www.dealstreetasia.com/stories/45301-45301/, June 23rd, 2016
- “China’s Learning Site Hujiang Now Has Over 100M users,” technews.co, TechNews, http://technews.co/2016/01/14/chinas-learning-site-hujiang-now-has-over-100m-users/, January 14th, 2016
- “China Minsheng Investment Joins $157M Series D Round In hujiang.Com," chinamoneynetwork.com, China Money Network, https://www.chinamoneynetwork.com/2015/10/29/hina-group-joins-157m-series-d-round-in-hujiang-com, October 29th, 2015
- “The 10 best language products,” Samuel Muston, Independent, https://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/further/the-10-best-language-products-7729087.html, May 9th, 2012
- “ITALKI: THE HUMAN CONNECTION, pglsinc.com, PGLS, https://pglsinc.com/2017/07/17/italki-the-human-connection/, July 17th, 2017
- “italki Kevin Chen：做语言学习的“淘宝”, 陆家嘴, Sina, http://finance.sina.com.cn/money/lczx/2017-07-13/details-ifyiakwa3999680.shtml, July 13th, 2017
- "I signed up for an Italki account to see why it's a leading platform for online language learning",Connie Chen, Business Insider,http://www.businessinsider.com/italki-how-to-learn-a-new-language-online-2017-9, September 26, 2017
- ”Shanghai-based startup italki raises US$3M to help Chinese students find language tutors,” Yon Heong Tung, e27, https://e27.co/this-shanghai-based-startup-has-raised-us3m-to-help-chinese-students-find-language-tutors-20160624/, June 24th, 2016