|Slogan||Become fluent in any language|
Type of site
|Available in||English, Español, Français, 中文 (繁體, 简体), 日本語, العَرَبِية, 한국어, Deutsch, Italiano, Português, Russian, Bahasa (Indonesian), Swedish, Polish, Hindi, Thai, Turkish, Vietnamese|
|10,151 (April 2015[update])|
italki // is an educational technology website that helps foreign language learners connect with online teachers and native-speaking language partners. italki users are able to search for a freelance teacher, schedule and pay for language lessons. italki teachers are able to create a profile, and build a personal reputation.
italki is an online marketplace and a social network focused on language learning. Users are classified as "students" or "teachers". Membership on italki requires an email address, but payment is required to schedule lessons with online teachers. Teachers go through an application process that includes verification of their identity and teaching credentials.
Paying users on italki are able to take lessons from freelance online teachers. Teachers on italki are designated as "professional teachers" or "community tutors", the former having professional teaching experience or certifications. Both types of teachers are able to create a teacher profile, and set their own rates for payment.
Social Language Learning
italki users are able to make friends for language exchange, ask questions about language learning, write essays and receive corrections, and enter into language discussions. These features depend on responses from other members of the italki community.
In August 2012, italki completed a round of financing for an undisclosed amount from angel investors.
In February 2016, italki relaunched its website with a new logo and design. In the same month, italki also launched its Android native application.
- Freelance marketplace
- Language education
- Distance education
- Online platforms for collaborative consumption
- Community language learning
- "Italki.com Site Info". Alexa Internet. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- "italki.com brings language teaching to market," Ryan McLaughlin, CNet Asia, http://asia.cnet.com/blogs/thetechdynasty/post.htm?id=63009740, March 24, 2009
- "italki launches marketplace for language tutors," Camille Ricketts, VentureBeat, http://venturebeat.com/2009/03/25/italki-launches-marketplace-for-language-tutors/, March 25th, 2009
- italki | CrunchBase Profile
- "Six Years In, Language Learning Site Italki Finds Its Angels" Hamish McKenzie, Pando Daily, http://pando.com/2012/08/09/six-years-in-language-learning-site-italki-finds-its-angels/ 9 August 2012