|Time zone||UTC -3|
Itamaraju is a municipality in the state of Bahia in the North-East region of Brazil. "Itamaraju" is a word from the Tupi language meaning "rock of the trees of Jucuruçu" from the terms itá (rock), mara (woods), and ju (first syllable of the Jucuruçu River).
On 22 April 1500 a Portuguese fleet under the command of the explorer Pedro Álvares Cabral, seen by many as the first European to arrive in Brazil, recorded their sighting of Monte Pascoal which became a European settlement and, subsequently, the municipality of Prado. Itamaraju became and until 1961 remained a piece of the territory of Prado. On 5 October 1961 Itamaraju formally obtained municipal autonomy, its separation from Prado led by José Gomes de Almeida and Antônio Fontes Mascarenhas.
- "Divisão Territorial do Brasil" (in Portuguese). Divisão Territorial do Brasil e Limites Territoriais, Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística (IBGE). 1 July 2008. Retrieved 17 December 2009.
- "Estimativas da população para 1º de julho de 2009" (PDF) (in Portuguese). Estimativas de População, Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística (IBGE). 14 August 2009. Retrieved 17 December 2009.
- "Ranking decrescente do IDH-M dos municípios do Brasil" (in Portuguese). Atlas do Desenvolvimento Humano, Programa das Nações Unidas para o Desenvolvimento (PNUD). 2000. Archived from the original on 3 October 2009. Retrieved 17 December 2009.
- "Produto Interno Bruto dos Municípios 2002-2005" (PDF) (in Portuguese). Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística (IBGE). 19 December 2007. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2 October 2008. Retrieved 17 December 2009.
- translated from Portuguese Wikipedia
|This Bahia, Brazil location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|