Ithaka Darin Pappas
|Birth name||Ithaka Darin Pappas|
July 8, 1966|
Anaheim, California, United States
|Origin||Southern California, United States|
|Genres||hip hop, west coast hip hop, trip hop, spoken word, Electronic dance music, Alternative hip hop|
|Occupation(s)||Vocalist, lyricist, poet, contemporary artist, writer, photographer, producer|
Valentim de Carvalho,
Twisted Records (UK),
Twisted Records (U.S.), Movieplay Records (Portugal)
|Associated acts||Primitive Reason, Gabriel o Pensador, Underground Sound of Lisbon, DJ Vibe, Rui da Silva, Cosmic Gate, Armin Van Buuren, Mario Caldato, Jr., Norman Cook |
Creator of the EDM vocal-poem "So Get Up"  and the hip hop song "Escape From The City Of Angels", Ithaka Darin Pappas, better known simply as Ithaka, is an American contemporary artist, (sculptor, painter), photographer, songwriter, vocalist, hip hop artist, writer, poet, record producer and surfer of partial Greek descent. Ithaka was born and raised in Southern California, but later established himself in Japan, Greece, Portugal, Brazil and Mexico. The artist currently resides in California.
In Lisbon he recorded his first two hip hop albums, Flowers And The Color Of Paint and Stellafly. His song, Escape From The City Of Angels appeared on the soundtrack for Columbia Pictures' feature release, The Replacement Killers. He is also the lyricist/vocalist of the vocal-poem So Get Up that has been used on a multitude of different electronic dance music instrumentals. The first musical version of his poem was publicly released by Underground Sound of Lisbon 
During his active years in Portugal, the artist's musical projects were nominated for a total of nine Blitz Awards (the Portuguese equivalent of The Grammy Awards) including; Best Album (for "Flowers And The Color Of Paint" in 1995 and Stellafly in 1997) and Best Male Vocalist (in 1995 & 1997). In addition, the prestigious national newspaper, Publico awarded his 1997 release Stellafly as "Album Of The Year" and considered his most popular song from that record Seabra Is Mad as both the "Song Of The Year" and "Video Of The Year". In an end of the decade retrospective article about Portuguese music, Publico also cited his debut release "Flowers And The Color Of Paint" as one of the country's Ten Most Influential Albums Of The 1990s.
In 1994, the international hit "So Get Up" that Ithaka wrote and first vocalized in 1993 and later rerecorded for Underground Sound Of Lisbon's first E.P. release Chapter One was nominated for "Song Of The Year" at that year's Blitz Awards, and later climbed to 8th Place on Billboard's U.K. Independent Dance Charts (and 52nd on Billboard's U.S. independent Dance Charts). More than twenty years after its original release (with at leased one-thousand and twenty-nine released remixes of the original vocal) So Get Up was deemed by Guinness World Records as being The Most Remixed Vocal A Cappella in musical history.
In 1998, after over six years in Portugal, Ithaka returned to California where he recorded his third album called Somewhere South Of Somalia with producer Conley Abrams III. The lyrics from this album were written on a two-month journey into East Africa. Later Ithaka relocated his base to Rio de Janeiro where he recorded two more albums, Recorded In Rio and Saltwater Nomad. In 2007, he briefly returned to Portugal to record with former Underground Sound of Lisbon member DJ Vibe, providing vocals and lyrics for the track "You".
In 2011, Sweatlodge Records released Fishdaddy Flashbacks highlighting some of the artist's more memorable songs from the beginning of his career in 1994 until 2011. And in early 2013, Ithaka produced his first all instrumental album, Voiceless Blue Raven. And also collaborated with the seventy-six-year-old trip hop vocalist, Cyncy. Both projects for the indy label Sweatlodge Records.
In addition to creating music, his short story series entitled, Fishdaddy Chronicles, has appeared in surfing magazines around the world including Surfer (magazine), The Surfer's Journal, Water and Transworld Surf". In 2009, his short story "Miracle At Malibu" was published in the book entitled Surf Story, a collective volume of stories and surf culture compiled by Robb Havassy.
His abstract photographic art and body of sculpture work known as The Reincarnation Of A Surfboard have been exhibited globally, his most recent solo showings were hosted by The Camp in Costa Mesa, California in June 2010, Gallery Alma Do Mar in São Paulo, Brazil in October 2010, WOA-Way Of Arts in Lisbon, Portugal in December 2012 ., Hurley International in Orange County, California in October 2013 and F+ Gallery in Santa Ana, California (February–March 2015).
Between 2010 and 2015, the artist created most of his musical, photographic and sculptural works at Recanto Akahti, his small ranch in rural South America located on the edge of the Atlantic Forest in AkahtiLândia.
- 1 The Reincarnation Of A Surfboard
- 2 Photographer
- 3 Eazy E & N.W.A. photographs by: Ithaka Darin Pappas
- 4 Aliens Of AkahtiLândia
- 5 "So Get Up" Controversy
- 6 The Tomas Blots
- 7 Influence in marijuana and cannabis culture
- 8 Ithaka: poem
- 9 Works
- 9.1 Solo releases
- 9.2 Solo art exhibits (sculpture, painting, photography)
- 9.3 Group art exhibits
- 9.4 Guest musical appearances
- 9.5 Music used in other media
- 9.6 Articles and short stories - written by Ithaka
- 9.7 Book appearances
- 9.8 Magazine and web - articles and interviews
- 9.9 Documentaries
- 9.10 Selected commercial photography work
- 9.11 "So Get Up"
- 10 References
- 11 External links
The Reincarnation Of A Surfboard
In 1989, while living in the Miracle Mile district of Los Angeles, Ithaka began one of the major art projects of his life, The Reincarnation Of A Surfboard. This is a large body of contemporary sculpture work created using garbaged surfboards as raw building material and recycling them into contemporary wall-mounted art pieces. The series to date, which is said to contain an estimated three hundred full-sized sculptures, has been exhibited on four continents and featured in hundreds of magazines and on many TV features. The most recent solo exhibitions of these works were hosted by Hurley Clothing in Costa Mesa, California in October 2013 and WOA: Way Of Arts in Cascais, Portugal in December 2012. He has been active with this medium continuously since its inception and in every area of the planet that he has had residence; Japan, Greece, Portugal and Brazil - with additional individual pieces made in Mexico. In December 2012 during an interview piece regarding his solo showing of surfboard sculptures at Gallery WOA in Lisbon, Fuel TV Europe (a popular action sports channel) declared that Ithaka was "the Godfather of contemporary surf art". Works from this project appear in the private collections of international surfing celebrities, Hollywood production companies and of the Rock Pacific Trust (founded by entrepreneur, Phil Rock).
Ithaka Darin Pappas began experimenting with his father's 35mm and medium format film cameras as early as age five. He started assisting professional photographers immediately after high school and within a year began publishing much of his own work. His primary early focus was on portraiture, mostly musicians and actors. As a regular free-lancer for hip hop labels Priority Records, Ruthless Records and Quality Records, he helped document the early West Coast urban music scene. He has also worked sporadically in the fashion world, mostly for Fairchild Publications' Women's Wear Daily and Daily News Record. In addition, his photographs have appeared in; Essence (magazine), Elle (magazine), Glamour (magazine), Surf Portugal, Fluir (Brazil), Deja-Vu (Japan), Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles (magazine) North Shore Magazine, Publico (Portugal), Speak Magazine, Revista Super Som (Portugal), Rolling Stone, Shape (magazine), Switch (Japan), Teen Vogue, Orange County Register, The Beach Reporter, Thrasher, OnFire (Portugal), Vibe (magazine) and Water. His celebrity subjects have included; Bebe Moore Campbell, Brian Wilson, Chuck Liddell, Eazy-E, Ice Cube, Gabrielle Anwar, Giancarlo Esposito, Lea Thompson, A Lighter Shade of Brown, Marlee Matlin, N.W.A., Oliver Sacks (writer), Richard Tyler (designer), Robert Anton Wilson, Rudy Rucker, Scott Weiland, Takashi Murakami (artist), Teddy Riley, Terence McKenna, WC (rapper), William Travilla (fashion designer). His advertising clients have included Young Chang Pianos, Independent Truck Company, Priority Records, Quality Records, EMI Records, Polygram Records, Redley Shoes (Brazil) and Ocean Pacific clothing.
Perhaps the most published (and republished) commercial photographic works by Ithaka Darin Pappas, are his early archival images of the influential Los Angeles Gangsta rap group N.W.A.. Pappas worked for their West Coast record label Priority Records between 1988 and 1991 and documented almost the entire lifespan of the group, from their obscure South Central beginnings to their meteoric rise to controversial super-stardom...and their eventually disassembly. He has photographed NWA more than any other individual photographer. The pictures from these early sessions, particularly The Miracle Mile Shot, which features all five members of the project photographed on a white backdrop at Ithaka's own apartment in Los Angeles, has been printed in Rolling Stone, Q Magazine (UK), The Hundreds, Blitz Magazine (Portugal) etc., and was used as the primary backdrop for the entire NWA segment of the 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony in Brooklyn, New York. That same image also appears in the 2016 HBO documentary, The Defiant Ones, about Dr. Dre and Jimmy Iovine directed by Allen Hughes. These photographs are represented exclusively by TACK Artist Group of Los Angeles.
Aliens Of AkahtiLândia
In February 2015, the F+ Gallery in Santa Ana, California (founded by owner/director Micah Kersh) hosted an all insect-art exhibit entitled "Aliens Of AkahtiLândia". The exhibit featured over forty original sculpture, photo, and mixed-media works by Ithaka - entirely inspired by insects he had observed and photographed on his property in AkahtiLandia, Brazil, purchased in 2010. Six guest creators were in turn invited to do individual interpretations of some of these same insects. Participating artists included; David Clyde Kersh, Erica L. Ellingson, Ian Morris, Nathan Paul Gibbs, Will Thompson and artist/entomologist/Hollywood insect wrangler Steven R. Kutcher. The opening event also included a live presentation by actress/insect handler Diana Terranova who encouraged attendees to get over their phobias by petting and even holding large, exotic live bugs including tarantulas and giant whip scorpions Thelyphonida.
"So Get Up" Controversy
In 1993, Ithaka wrote and recited a poem called "So Get Up" for his weekly segment of a radio program called Quatro Bairro on Rádio Comercial in Lisbon, Portugal. He later made an elecrto-style musical version with a friend in Manchester, United Kingdom. The next year, in 1994, he re-recorded it as a 'guest performer' to be the primary vocal of a B-Side single for the Portuguese dance music group called Underground Sound Of Lisbon. The song became an instant national hit and was later released internationally as a ten-mix, double vinyl set on New York's Tribal Records (a subsidiary of I.R.S. Records/E.M.I. Records). The song climbed to 8th place on the Billboard's Independent Dance Music Chart for the UK - and number 52nd in the United States. Since 1995, the song has been remixed a minimum of a thousand times including versions by such greats as Fat Boy Slim, Junior Vasquez, Danny Tenaglia, Miss Kittin, Armin Van Buuren, Cosmic Gate and has appeared on over 350 compilations with combined sales/downloads in the tens of millions. As the original music has been stripped away by each succeeding producer, the only singularly unifying element of all 1000+ mixes is Ithaka's poem and his vocals. Ironically, the song which was considered the first modern "Portuguese" musical export was released without even a "featuring Ithaka" credit even though Ithaka, a Californian, was the primary publishing rights owner of the track and never a member of the Underground Sound Of Lisbon project. Reportedly no actual record royalties were ever paid to Ithaka.
The Tomas Blots
Omni-present in all of Ithaka's forms of expression are The Tomas Blots. These are a series of eleven blot-like symbols that Ithaka's father, Tomas Pappas drew before him approximately two hours before his death on February 13, 1991 in Mesa, Arizona. These symbols appear in almost every aspect of Ithaka's artistic life; on his record covers, in his photographs and sculptures and very frequently as collage-paintings.
Influence in marijuana and cannabis culture
Although never publicly advocating its use, through the years Ithaka's name has been periodically associated with marijuana and cannabis culture, perhaps due to the street credibility of his hip hop song Escape From The City Of Angels or his long term sponsorship agreement with Hemp Hoodlamb (Hempworks) an organic cotton and hemp street wear company from the Netherlands. In 2011, Kommunity Growers, a legal Hydroponics Cannabis cultivation facility in Southern California introduced a potent hybrid strain of marijuana called Ithaka Blue in honor of the artist and his favorite color. However, the product was short-lived and taken off the market within a year, most users complaining it was too much like Skunk (Cannabis) to be considered anything other than by that name. In 2013, an e-cigarette atomizer/Vaporizer (inhalation device) named Ithaka, largely designed for the inhaling of marijuana oil vapor, was introduced to the public by Oakor Industries. However, it is unclear if this was an authorized or unauthorized usage of the artist's name.
Ithaka borrowed his pseudonym specifically from the title of the poem "Ithaca" by the Greek poet, Constantine P. Cavafy, which in short summarizes that a journey is more important than the destination, that enjoyment of the journey of life, and the increasing maturity of the soul as that journey continues, are all the traveler can ask for. The poem, Ithaka has stated publicly, has served as a kind of life guide for the artist since he was in his early twenties. It should be noted that Cavafy's poem itself was inspired by the Homeric return journey of Odysseus to his home Ithaca (Island), as depicted in the Odyssey, even further connecting the artist Ithaka to his Greek ancestry.
- 1995 Fishdaddy - cd single released with Super Jovem Magazine [Fabrica De Sons/Movieplay Records]
- 1995 Flowers and the Color of Paint - 13 song cd album [Fabrica De Sons/Movieplay Records]
- 1997 Seabra Is Mad - cd single with bonus track Butterfly Of Wisdom [Nortesul/Valentim de Carvalho/EMI]
- 1997 Stay Strong Little Brother - cd single [Nortesul/Valentim de Carvalho/EMI]
- 1997 Stellafly: European Edition - 17 song cd album [Nortesul/Valentim de Carvalho/EMI]
- 1998 The Rise And Fall Of A Fortune - 8 song e.p. European promo only[Nortesul/Valentim de Carvalho/EMI]
- 2000 Stellafly: USA Edition - 13 song cd album [BCB Records]
- 2001 Somewhere South of Somalia - 19 song cd album [Sweatlodge Records/Khalifa Records]
- 2004 Recorded in Rio - 15 song cd album [Sweatlodge Records]
- 2005 Fuse With Me - cd single + remix of "N Portugal" (by Ithaka vs. Cartell 70) [Ground Zero Records]
- 2007 Saltwater Nomad - 13 song cd album [Sweatlodge Records]
- 2011 Fishdaddy Flashbacks -15 song cd album [Sweatlodge Records]
- 2013 Voiceless Blue Raven - 21 song cd album [Sweatlodge Records]
- 2017 So Get Up & The Los Acapellas  - 16 track cd album [Sweatlodge Records]
Solo art exhibits (sculpture, painting, photography)
- 1990 Pepperdine University - Los Angeles, California (sculpture)
- 1992 Gallery YMA -(Photography and Sculpture) Tokyo, Japan (sculpture, photography)
- 1995 Universidade Moderna - Lisbon, Portugal (sculpture)
- 1996 IPJ: Instituto Portuguesa Da Juventude "UMBILICUS" (Photography) - Lisbon, Portugal (photography)
- 1998 Gallery Ze Dos Bois "Quality Time: Part One" (Photography) - Lisbon, Portugal (photography, text, performance)
- 2000 International Surfing Museum - Huntington Beach California(sculpture)
- 2007 Gallery WOA: Way Of Arts - Estoril, Portugal (sculpture)
- 2008 Clash - Lisbon, Portugal (sculpture)
- 2010 Gallery Alma Do Mar - São Paulo, Brazil (sculpture. photography)
- 2010 The Camp - Costa Mesa, California (sculpture, photography) 
- 2011 Nike Posto 5.0 - Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (sculpture) 
- 2012 Gallery WOA: Way Of Arts (Sculpture, Video & Photography) - Cascais, Portugal 
- 2013 The Town Hall at Hurley International Headquarters in Costa Mesa, California (Sculpture, Painting)
- 2015 F+ Gallery in Santa Ana, California - "Aliens Of AkahtiLândia" (Sculpture, Photography, Painting) 
Group art exhibits
- 1990 01 Gallery Los Angeles
- 1992 NICAF: Nippon International Contemporary Art Fair - Yokohama, Japan 
- 1999 Photo Impact Gallery - Los Angeles, California
- 2003 111 Minna Gallery - San Francisco, California
- 2005 MIS - São Paulo Museum of Image and Sound, Brazil
- 2006 MIS - São Paulo Museum of Image and Sound, Brazil
- 2007 Oca Do Ibirapuera - São Paulo, Brazil
- 2010 Oca Do Ibirapuera - São Paulo, Brazil
- 2011 Art Now Gallery (San Francisco) "Love And Guts" - Photo: Eazy E and Venice Skateboard Locals (1989) 
- 2013 Sagres Surf Culture - Sagres, Portugal 
- 2013 McNamara's Gallery (owned by Garrett McNamara) - Nazaré, Portugal 
- 2014 House Of Vans (London) "Thrasher: A Retrospective" - Photo: Eazy E and Venice Skateboard Locals (1989) 
- 2014 Azores Wave Week - Ponta Delgado, São Miguel Island, Portugal" 
- 2014 Surfboards On Parade - Huntington Beach, California 
- 2016 The Art Of Surf - 1 Recovery - SM, CA (w/ Jeff Divine, John Van Hamersveld, John Severson and Dan Merkel) 
- 2016 Surfboards On Parade - Huntington Beach, California (w/ Rick Reitveld, Nathan Paul Gibbs, Joshua Ben Paskowitz and Heather Brown) 
Guest musical appearances
- 1994 Underground Sound of Lisbon - "So Get Up" (Ithaka: vocals, lyrics)
- 1996 Marta Dias - "Look To The Blue", "Learn To Fly" (Ithaka: vocals, lyrics)
- 1996 Red Beans - "Sunny The Bunny", "Sushi-Pack Subway", "Return To The City Of Angels" (Ithaka: vocals, lyrics)
- 1996 Cool Hipnoise - "Hidden By The Sea"" (Ithaka: vocals, lyrics)
- 1997 General D - "Ekos Do Passado" (Ithaka: vocals, lyrics)
- 1998 Tejo Beat - "The Day Was Hot" (Ithaka: vocals, lyrics). Produced by Mario Caldato, Jr.
- 1998 More Republica Masonica - "Grounded Song" (Ithaka: vocals, lyrics)
- 1998 Mind Da Gap - "Intro" (Ithaka: vocals, lyrics)
- 2000 Primitive Reason - "The Day Will Come", "I'm The Man Who Got No Plan" (Ithaka: vocals, lyrics)
- 2005 Cartell 70 - "In the Name of Religion" (Ithaka: vocals, lyrics)
- 2007 DJ Vibe - "You" (Ithaka: vocals, lyrics)
- 2008 Pan Electric - "Someone, Somewhere" (Ithaka: vocals, lyrics)
- 2011 Si Brad - "20 Years" (Ithaka: vocals, lyrics)  (Toko Records-U.K.)
- 2011 Paul Mandaca - Eden by The Sea / cd album (Ithaka: all lyrics) 
- 2013 Cyncy - "Sometimes Life Gets In The Way" (Ithaka: music production) Sweatlodge Records-USA
- 2013 Cosmic Gate - "So Get Up" (Ithaka: vocals, lyrics) 
Music used in other media
- 1995 "G-Land Pro" - Ithaka track's "Flowers And The Color Of Paint" and "The Pigeon Lady" featured in official video of Quiksilver's World Tour Surfing Event at Gradjagan, Indonesia. Sequence features surfing by world champions Kelly Slater, Tom Carroll (surfer), Derek Ho and others.
- 1998 The Replacement Killers - Ithaka track's "Escape From The City Of Angels" appeared in Columbia Pictures' feature release. Starring Mira Sorvino and Chow Yun-fat. Directed by Antoine Fuqua
- 2004 Timmy Turner's Second Thoughts - Ithaka's song "The Plot" featured in surfing documentary about Indonesia. Winner of Surfer magazine Poll Award for Best Video.
- 2004 Good Girls Don't (TV series) Ithaka song "Escape From The City Of Angels" featured on Oxygen (TV channel). Season 1-Episode 3: "Addicted To Love"
- 2005 "Samba, Trance and Rock N Roll": Ithaka's song "Muerto Escondido" appeared in surfing film by director Rafael Mellin. Winner of 2005 Best Film award at the International Surf Film Festival St Jean de Luz - France.
- 2006 "Lost Jewel Of The Atlantic" Song "Who's The Enemy?" by Ithaka featuring gabriel O Pensador featured in this environmental surf film about Surfing in Madeira.
- 2006 "Chasing The Lotus" Surf film directed by Gregory Schell featured Ithaka's song, Seabra Is Mad.
- 2007 NBA2K7- Ithaka tracks "Dine N Dash", "Seabra Is Mad" and "Whatcha Gotta Do" featured in ESPN Games Xbox 360 basketball game, NBA2K7.
- 2013 "Nicateen"- Ithaka's song "Coffin Alley Confinement" (from the album: Voiceless Blue Raven) used in short surfing video by Quiksilver Films shot in Nicaragua
- 2014 "Board Stories" (Hawaiian Surf TV Program - The Surf Channel)
Articles and short stories - written by Ithaka
- 1993 "STELLAFLY" [published in Shortcut(Japan) & Lava (US)]<
- 2000 "CARCAVELOS BROWNS" published in Surfer Magazine and Wavelength (magazine) (UK)
- 2003 "THE FORGOTTEN FOUR" published Water Magazine
- 2003 "ADVENTURES IN ADVERTISING" published in Water Magazine
- 2003 "STILTS" published in Water Magazine
- 2006 "MOMENTS OF INSANITY" published in Water Magazine
- 2006 "PALM TREE REEF" (published in Water Magazine)
- 2007 "OXYGEN FALLS" published in Water Magazine
- 2007 "ZÉ DOS CAES" published in Water Magazine / Onfire magazine (Portugal-2004), International Surf (USA-1993)
- 2007 "MOROCCO IS:" published in Water Magazine
- 2007 '"MOEMA" published in Water Magazine
- 2010 "MIRACLE AT MALIBU" published in the book, Surf Story (compiled by Robb Havassy)
- 2010 "FERNANDO DE NORONHA" Transworld Surf Magazine-USA [Story by Ithaka/Photos by: Pete Freiden]
- 2010 "RETURN TO THE MOTHERLAND" - Published in The Surfer's Journal, Surf Portugal Magazine, Fluir magazine-Brazil, Goodtimes Magazine-Greece
- 2000 THE END OF PRINT by David Carson (graphic designer) (USA) 
- 2003 ALTAS LUZES - by Rita Carmo & Miguel Cadete (Portugal) 
- 2004 BELONG: A TV Journalist's Search for Urban Culture – by Jennifer Morton (Canada) 
- 2007 EUROPEAN STORMRIDER GUIDE" by Bruce Sutherland
- 2009 "SURF STORY" Ithaka's short story, Miracle At Malibu, featured in collective book compiled by Robb Havassy 
- 2012 "STOP, THINK, GO, DO: How Typography and Graphic Design Influence Behavior" - Ithaka's photo series Umbilicus featured in book by Steven Heller, Mirko Ilic (Rockport publishers) 
- 2015 "Aliens Of AkahtiLândia" by Ithaka (photographs of the Brazilian insects that inspired his sculptures and paintings - images taken 2010–2014).
Magazine and web - articles and interviews
- 1990 BEACH CULTURE MAGAZINE (USA) feature about Ithaka's photography and art by Steve Barilotti. Graphics by David Carson (graphic designer) in Issue #5.
- 1992 DETOUR MAGAZINE (USA) feature about Ithaka's sculpture and photography work written by editor Jim Turner (also founder of Flaunt) - April 1992 issue.
- 1996 SPEAK MAGAZINE  (Cover story) 4-page article about "Umbilicus" a photo exhibition of navels created by Ithaka on the streets of Tokyo
- 2002 WATER MAGAZINE (USA) "Fishdaddy": an 8-page feature about Ithaka's art and music appearing in Volume 1 - Issue 1 - Spring 2002 - Bluewater Publishing
- 2005 HIP HOP NATION MAGAZINE (Europe) "Ithaka: De Mochila As Costas" interview about Ithaka's music by Ana Abraão - Issue #19 (June 2005)
- 2006 FOAM MAGAZINE (USA) "Electric Glue" 3-page feature about Ithaka's art and music feature written by Monika Zeldin featured in Spring 2006 issue.
- 2008 MEN'S HEALTH MAGAZINE (Portugal Edition) "A Arte de Expressão" interview about Ithaka's life, art and music by Sandra Mauricio - May 2008 issue
- 2009 GENTE JOVEM MAGAZINE (Portugal) "Ithaka" 4-page feature about the art, music and life of Ithaka by Sofia Carmo published in January 2009 issue.
- 2009 SURFAR MAGAZINE (Brazil) "Surfar Arte" 4-page feature on Ithaka's recycled sufrboard art written by Nancy Geringer published in Nov./Dec. 2009 Issue
- 2009 EXTREME EXPERTS MAGAZINE (Greece) "Ithaka" 5-page article about Ithaka's life, art and music published in August 2009 issue.
- 2010 HOLLYWOOD WEEKLY (USA) "The Nomadic Journey Of A Renegade Artist" Cover and 6-page feature on Ithaka's life and work (July 2010 Issue)
- 2012 SURF PORTUGAL MAGAZINE (Europe) "Pranchas Renascidas" feature about Ithaka's art by Susana Santos. Photos: Ricardo Bravo (Nov.Dec. 2012- issue #238)
- 2013 JORNAL I. NEWSPAPER (Portugal) "Ithaka Is Also Mad" by Beatriz Silva - Published May 4, 2013
- 2013 UP MAGAZINE (International - 0wned by TAP Portugal airlines) "Professional Vagabond" by Maria Ana Ventura with portrait by Dede Fedrizzi - Sept. 2013
- 2013 THE SURFER JOURNAL (Brazil) "AkahtiLândia, O Sonho de Íthaka" by Jair Bortoleto Published in Volume 2 - Issue 2 in October 2013
- 2013 THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER (USA) "Transforming Broken Boards Into Art" by Laylan Connelly - Published in Local Section on October 10, 2013
- 2014 FLUIR MAGAZINE (Brazil) "Criar, Surfar, Amar e Viajar" by Ricardo Macario [February Issue 2014/Edition #340]
- 2015 BLITZ MAGAZINE (Portugal-Oct. Issue) "Fotografo Oficial" interview by Mario Rui Vieira about Ithaka's early work with NWA and Portugal in the 1990s
- 2015 THE HUNDREDS (International Site) "Meet The Greek-American Artist Who Shot N.W.A's Earliest Promo Photos" by Manos Nomikos [Sept.]
- 2006 "ON THE ROAD TO ITHAKA" A documentary about the artist directed by Susanna Lira. Winner of the Best Script Award at the FATU Film Festival, São Paulo Brazil
- 2014 "SURF, ARTE e DIVERSÃO" (Surf, Arte and Fun) A documentary produced by Moana Films directed by Lorena Montenegro revolving around the lives and work of artists, Ithaka, Hilton Alves and Tom Viega.
Selected commercial photography work
- 1988 Eazy-E: We Want Eazy" for Priority Records. 12" Maxi-Single Cover (multi-platinum).
- 1988 N.W.A.: Express Yourself/Straight Outta Compton" for Priority Records. 12" Maxi-Single Cover (multi-platinum).
- 1989 Brian Wilson (of the Beach Boys) photographed for advertisement of Young Chang pianos in Santa Monica, California.
- 1990 Marlee Matlin / Oliver Sacks: Photo feature about Academy Award winning actress and author for Glamour Magazine. Photos made in LA and NY."
- 1994 Manual Of Evasion LX94 - stills for "Manual Of Evasion LX94", an Edgar Pêra film, w/ Terence McKenna, Robert Anton Wilson & Rudy Rucker.""
- 1995 General D: Pé Na Tchon Karapinha Na Céu" for EMI Records. Portugal's very first hip hop release.
- 2002 Ocean Pacific: Fashion and Perfume campaign. Uses: Teen Vogue, Maxim (magazine) etc.
- 2014 Cover of Ipsilon Magazine (music, culture supplement of the newspaper Público (Portugal)) for General D story
- 2016 Rolling Stone: Photo of NWA by Ithaka Darin Pappas in story about 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees, "Class Of 2016" by Andy Greene
- 2016 Q (magazine): Photo of NWA by Ithaka Darin Pappas in feature about Golden age hip hop called written by Matt Mason (January 2016 issue)
"So Get Up"
Documented uses of Ithaka's vocal & poem, "So Get Up" (1993) in modern music appearing under varying titles. Poem was originally recorded for Radio Antenna 1 in Lisbon, Portugal. However, most musical versions stemmed from uses/sampling of the a cappella version that he recorded for Underground Sound Of Lisbon in Portugal, 1994. Note: This list includes both legal and unauthorized uses.
- 1994 Underground Sound of Lisbon - "So Get Up": Original Mix (Ithaka: lyrics, vocals) Kaos Portugal & Tribal Records - NY/UK
- 1994 Junior Vasquez - "So Get Up: Junior's Factory Mix (Ithaka: lyrics, vocals) Tribal Records - NY/UK
- 1994 Danny Tenaglia - "So Get Up: Danny Tenaglia Remix (Ithaka: lyrics, vocals) Tribal Records - NY/UK
- 1994 Sarasite - "The End Of The Earth": Jatzzup Mix (Ithaka: lyrics, vocals) Melody Maker Records, Italy
- 1994 Sarasite - "The End Of The Earth": Patrick P.d.j. Tribal Mix (Ithaka: lyrics, vocals) Melody Maker Records, Italy
- 1994 Sarasite - "The End Of The Earth": M.C. Hair New Wave Vibrations Mix (Ithaka: lyrics, vocals) Melody Maker Records, Italy
- 1994 Orion's Voice - "The Next Life": Original Mix (Ithaka: lyrics, vocals) 
- 1995 Public Domain - "So Get Up" : Jeremy Mix (Ithaka: lyrics, vocals) BZRK Records, Netherlands 
- 1995 Public Domain - "So Get Up" : Dr. Phil's Mix (Ithaka: lyrics, vocals) BZRK Records, Netherlands
- 1995 Public Domain - "So Get Up" : Original Mix (Ithaka: lyrics, vocals) BZRK Records, Netherlands
- 1997 Stretch & Verne - "Get Up, Go Insane !" (Ithaka: lyrics, vocals) Spot On Records - U.K.
- 2000 Atlantis ITA - See You In The Next Life : Dj Scot Project Remix (Ithaka: lyrics, vocals) Overodose Records, Germany
- 2000 Atlantis ITA - See You In The Next Life : Original Mix (Ithaka: lyrics, vocals) Overodose Records, Germany
- 2000 Fatboy Slim aka Norman Cook - Fatboy Slim's Greatest Remixes - "Get Up, Go Insane!" (lyrics, vocals) Priarity Records
- 2003 Orion's Voice - "The Next Life": Original Mix (Ithaka: lyrics, vocals) Re-Fuel Records, Netherlands
- 2003 Orion's Voice - "The Next Life": Origin Unknown Remix (Ithaka: lyrics, vocals) Re-Fuel Records, Netherlands
- 2008 Mowree - "So Get Up: Next Life Mowree Mix (Ithaka: lyrics, vocals) Tribal Records
- 2012 Derek Marin - "The End Of The Earth" (Ithaka: lyrics, vocals)
- 2013 Bob Ray & Van Dyuk "So Get Up" (Ithaka: lyrics, vocals) Elektrobeats Records
- 2013 Cosmic Gate - "So Get Up" (Ithaka: lyrics, vocals)  - (Germany)
- 2013 Armin Van Buuren - "So Get Up" (Ithaka: lyrics, vocals) Album: A State Of Trance 2013 
- 2014 Igor Carmo - "So Get Up" (Ithaka: lyrics, vocals) Nervous records
- 2014 Swing Kings - "The End Of The Earth" (Ithaka: lyrics, vocals)  Orange Groove Records
- 2014 JJ Mullor, Dani Sbert - "So Get Up" (Ithaka: lyrics, vocals) Supermarket Records
- "Voiceless Blue Raven Vol. 1 by Ithaka on iTunes". Itunes.apple.com. 2013-04-02. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Valentim de Carvalho :: Edições". Valentim.pt. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Underground Sound Of Lisbon Discography". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Who's the Enemy? (feat. Gabriel O Pensador): Ithaka: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Mario Caldato, Jr". Jap.fm. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Fatboy Slim - Fatboy Slim's Greatest Remixes (CD)". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "The Replacement Killers (1998) : Soundtracks". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- Rui Miguel Abreu (2013-08-07). "It Happened Here... Portuguese dance goes global - Photo | Red Bull Music". Redbull.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Ithaka - Flowers And The Color Of Paint (CD)". Discogs.com. 1995-06-15. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- https://web.archive.org/web/20090709232126/http://www.bigbaer.com/ithaka.htm. Archived from the original on July 9, 2009. Retrieved September 21, 2009. Missing or empty
- "ITHAKA Discography". Discogs.com. 2008-08-15. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Table of Contents for the Surf Story Project book by artist Robb Havassy features surf art and surf stories by 88 of the most influential and creative surfing artists in the world". Surfstoryproject.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Surf's Up and Get Creative! | Lauren Selman". Huffingtonpost.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Way of Arts" (in Portuguese). Way of Arts. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Santa Ana: Aliens Of AkahtiLândia (Exhibit at F+ Gallery) - Cultural Events". Culturalevents.us. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Pranchas de Surf como nunca as viste | Ithaka the 2012 event | ONFIRE Surf | Portugal | by surfers, for surfers". Onfiresurfmag.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- Valentina I. Valentini (2015-06-08). "Two '90s-Era Hip Hop Films Revive L.A.'s Rap Glory Days - Los Angeles Magazine". Lamag.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Former N.W.A Manager Disappointed With Biopic". Vibe. 2014-06-30. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Eazy-E - We Want Eazy (Remix) (Vinyl)". Discogs.com. 2014-08-10. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Blogger". Blogger. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "A Lighter Shade Of Brown* - Brown & Proud (CD, Album)". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Aliens Of AkahtiLândia (Exhibit at F+ Gallery) –". Heyevent.com. 2015-02-21. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "The Reincarnation Of A Surfboard by Ithaka - Hemp Works Blog". Hempworks.typepad.com. 2013-01-06. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Ithaka". E-Cigarette Wiki. 2014-12-20. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
-  Archived July 28, 2014, on Wayback Machine.
- "Ithaka - Stellafly (CD, Album) s". Discogs.com. 1997-10-27. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Somewhere South of Somalia by Ithaka on iTunes". Itunes.apple.com. 2002-01-21. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Recorded In Rio by Ithaka on iTunes". Itunes.apple.com. 2004-11-09. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Saltwater Nomad [Explicit]: Ithaka: MP3 Downloads". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Waves" (in Portuguese). Waves.terra.com.br. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "ithaka: JUNGLE SHACK DEMENTIA [album: Voiceless Blue Raven], Video". Firstpost. 2015-07-29. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Waves" (in Portuguese). Waves.terra.com.br. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Abertura da exposição "The Reincarnation of a Surfboard" de Ithaka na WOA on Vimeo". Vimeo.com. 2012-11-27. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Aliens Of AkahtiLândia (Exhibit at F+ Gallery) –". Heyevent.de. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "NICAF YOKOHAMA ' 92 The 2nd International Contemporary Art Fair by MASAMI SHIRAISHI: Fakusaburo Maeda Original Wraps - Infinity Books Japan". Abebooks.com. 2003-08-08. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Região da Nazaré - Exposição na McNamara's Surf Shop & Gallery ajuda crianças em risco". Regiaodanazare.com. 2013-11-19. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Ithaka @ Azores Wave Week". Way of Arts. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Carroll: Surfboards on Parade the hottest thing in Surf City". Ocregister.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Beat Laden : Portuguese Bass Underground". Generation Bass. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "GMP". Gulliver Music Publishing. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "DJ Vibe Feat. Ithaka - You (CD)". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Si Brad ft Darin Pappas-'20 Years'...(album version) by si brad | Free Listening on SoundCloud". Soundcloud.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
-  Archived September 20, 2014, on Wayback Machine.
- "Fishdaddy Flashbacks, Vol. 1 (1995-2010) by Ithaka on iTunes". Itunes.apple.com. 2012-10-10. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Good Girls Don't". TV.com. 2006-06-11. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Good Girls Don't... ("Addicted To Love")". YouTube. 2012-05-13. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- [dead link]
- "Lost Jewel of the Atlantic Makes Waves in Madeira". Surfline.Com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Chasing the Lotus (2006)". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "2K". 2ksports.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "NICATEEN 52917". Surfline.Com. 2015-04-28. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- [dead link]
- Lewis Blackwell; David Carson. The End of Print: The Graphic Design of David Carson. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Altas-Luzes - Sítio do Livro". Sitiodolivro.pt. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- Jennifer Morton (2009-11-26). Belong. Books.google.com. p. 39. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- Steven Heller; Mirko Ilic. Stop, Think, Go, Do: How Typography and Graphic Design Influence Behavior. Books.google.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Beach Cult". Coverjunkie.com. 1990-10-30. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Ethan Hawke Detour Magazine 4 92 Bill Pullman Samantha Mathis". eBay. 2015-10-23. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "covers". Speakmag.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Photos of Ithaka: ITHAKA, "Fishdaddy" interview in Water Magazine". Fotosofithaka.blogspot.com. 2007-01-16. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- [dead link]
- "Ithaka - Press". Facebook. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- [dead link]
- [dead link]
- "Sculpture Press - Ithaka's "The Reincarnation Of A Surfboard"". Facebook. 2009-12-12. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "ithaka (surfer) - ithaka (surfer) in madeira island,...". Facebook. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Hollywood Weekly July 2010 Ithaka by Jackson Publishing Company". Issuu.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Planet Ithaka". Planetithaka.blogspot.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Sagres Surf Culture. Ithaka is also "mad"". Ionline.pt. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Up Magazine – TAP Portugal » Ithaka". Upmagazine-tap.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Broken boards given new life as art". Ocregister.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- Nomikos, Manos (2015-09-30). "Meet the Greek-American Artist Who Shot N.W.A's Earliest Promo Photos". The Hundreds. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Modo Operante Produções". Modooperante.com.br. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Edição 2006". FATU. 2014-06-20. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Waves" (in Portuguese). Waves.terra.com.br. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "N.W.A* - Express Yourself (Vinyl)". Discogs.com. 2015-01-05. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "The Beach Boys - breaking news. These pictures of the "Necochea Beach Humanoid" will creep you out at the Twiwired". Akahtimagazine.twittweb.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "General D: Uma história nunca contada - PÚBLICO". Ipsilon.publico.pt. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "So Get Up (Danny Tenaglia Remix) by Underground Sound of Lisbon, Danny Tenaglia on Beatport Pro". Beatport.com. 1994-04-18. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Claudio Diva & MC Hair Present Sarasate: Tribal Nation* - The End Of The Earth". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Orion's Voice - The Next Life (Vinyl)". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Discounted Concert Tickets by ScoreBig". Grooveshark. Archived from the original on 2014-03-29. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Public Domain (2) - In The House EP (Vinyl)". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Atlantis Ita - See You In The Next Life (CD)". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Fatboy Slim's Greatest Remixes CD Album". Cduniverse.com. 2001-04-17. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Phunk Investigation, Mowree, Sharp & Smooth, Underground Sound of Lisbon New Releases: So Get Up on Beatport Pro". Beatport.com. 2008-06-25. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "The End of the Earth (Dub) by Derek Marin on Beatport Pro". Beatport.com. 2012-09-03. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Bob Ray, Van Dyuk New Releases: So Get Up on Beatport Pro". Beatport.com. 2013-03-11. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "YouTube". YouTube. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "Igor Carmo Tracks & Releases on Beatport Pro". Beatport.com. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "The End of the Earth - Single by Swing Kings on iTunes". Itunes.apple.com. 2014-03-24. Retrieved 2015-11-07.
- "JJ Mullor, Dani Sbert New Releases: So Get Up EP on Beatport Pro". Beatport.com. 2012-08-31. Retrieved 2015-11-07.