May 23, 1965 |
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Ithamara Koorax was born in Rio de Janeiro, and has worked with such artists as Antonio Carlos Jobim, Luiz Bonfa, Ron Carter, Larry Coryell, Elizeth Cardoso, Gonzalo Rubalcaba, John McLaughlin, Sadao Watanabe, Hermeto Pascoal, Marcos Valle, Peter Scharli, Jay Berliner, Edu Lobo, Martinho da Vila, Jürgen Friedrich, Claus Ogerman, Dave Brubeck, João Donato, Dom Um Romão, Thiago de Mello, Mario Castro-Neves, Raul de Souza, Chris Conway, Eumir Deodato, Lou Volpe, Laudir de Oliveira, Rodgers Grant, Gil Goldstein, Art Farmer, Eddie Gomez, the groups Azymuth, Gazzara and Os Cariocas, the big bands Amazon and Rio Jazz Orchestra, and the Symphony Orchestras "Petrobras" and "Jazz Sinfonica". She has recorded solo albums for the IRMA, Milestone, Mercury, EMI, JVC, King, Huks and Motema labels, besides fourteen soundtracks for movies and TV series, and also took part in more than 200 special projects and compilations.
In 2009, "Bim Bom - The Complete Joao Gilberto Songbook," a duo session with guitarist Juarez Moreira, received rave reviews in the New York Times, Cashbox, Billboard, Jazz Hot, Jazz 'n' More, All Music Guide, and many other magazines, websites and newspapers.
Another recent CD, "O Grande Amor," recorded during a European tour with the Peter Schärli Trio in 2010, was also released with critical acclaim, receiving a 4 and 1/2 star review in the May 2011 issue of DownBeat magazine and 5-star ratings in several other magazines like Jazz 'n' More. Later on, "O Grande Amor" was elected one of the "Best CDs of 2011" in the January 2012 issue of DownBeat.
Ithamara Koorax has performed in the USA, Japan, Korea and many European countries (England, France, Germany, Switzerland, Czech Republic, Finland, Bulgaria, Serbia, Portugal etc.), appearing at jazz festivals in London, Seoul, Belgrade, Funchal, Helsinki, Indijja and many other cities. Koorax has also performed classical and fusion concerts backed by Symphony Orchestras.
Her recordings have been remixed by DJs from all over the world. Among them: Tom Novy, Parov Stelar, Cargo, Tetsu Shibuya/Brisa. During 2010, Ithamara performed 47 concerts in Brazil and 51 abroad, having toured Europe and Asia. In her latest Korean tour, in August 2010, Ithamara recorded an all-star project, "Arirang," alongside many pop Korean artists (like the pop group MIJI) and such jazz musicians as guitarist Lee Ritenour & pianist/arranger Alan Broadbent, Diana Krall's conductor.
Koorax's jazz-pop album "Got To Be Real," produced and arranged by Arnaldo DeSouteiro, was released worldwide in March 2012 by Irma Records, with critical acclaim and immediate sales.
It was followed by a classical crossover project, "Opus Classico" (2013), with works by Rachmaninoff, Chopin, Wagner, Debussy, Fauré, Ravel and Brazilian composers Villa-Lobos, Delza Agricola, Chiquinha Gonzaga and Machado de Assis.
A bossa nova album, "The Girl From Ipanema - Ithamara Koorax Sings Getz/Gilberto," on which she revisited the material from the legendary album "Getz/Gilberto" recorded by Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto, and the dance-oriented electronic project "Ecstasy," were also released in 2013.
Koorax's latest CD, "All Around The World," released in 2014, was recorded live, with no overdubs, during concerts in Rio, London, Paris, Sofia, Munich, Tokyo and Seoul, including songs by Antonio Carlos Jobim, Jorge Ben, Marvin Gaye, Jimi Hendrix and Herbie Hancock.
- 2017 - "Ithamara Koorax Sings The Jazz Masters" - JazzVisions
- 2014 - "All Around The World" - JazzVisions
- 2013 - "Opus Classico" - ArteNova/Petrobras
- 2013 - "The Girl From Ipanema / Ithamara Koorax Sings Getz/Gilberto" - JazzVisions
- 2013 - "Ecstasy" - JazzVisions
- 2012 - "Got To Be Real" - IRMA
- 2011 - "Ithamara Koorax & Mamoru Morishita" - Tokuma
- 2011 - "O Grande Amor" - TCB
- 2010 - "My Favorite Things: Live in Asia DVD" - JazzVision
- 2010 - "Jindo Arirang" - Huks
- 2009 - Bim Bom - The Complete João Gilberto Songbook - Motéma Music
- 2008 - "Tribute to Stellinha Egg" - CEDEM
- 2008 - "Obrigado Dom Um Romao" - TCB
- 2007 - Brazilian Butterfly - IRMA
- 2006 - The Best of Ithamara Koorax - EMI
- 2006 - Love Dance [Enhanced] - Concord
- 2006 - Serenade in Blue [Enhanced] - Concord
- 2005 - Autumn in New York - EMI
- 2004 - Cry me a River - Huks
- 2003 - Love Dance: The Ballad Album [Bonus Tracks] - Som Livre
- 2003 - Love Dance/As Time Goes By" [Japan Bonus Tracks] - JVC
- 2002 - Someday - Huks
- 2001 - Amor Sem Adeus - Huks
- 2001 - Serenade in Blue [Bonus Tracks] - Universal
- 2000 - Serenade in Blue - Milestone
- 1999 - Bossa Nova 21st Century [DVD-A] - Sanyo
- 1998 - Bossa Nova Meets Drum 'N' Bass" - Paddle Wheel
- 1997 - Wave 2001 - Sanyo
- 1996 - Almost in Love - Imagem
- 1996 - Ithamara Koorax Sings The Luiz Bonfá Songbook - Sanyo
- 1995 - Red River - Sanyo
- 1995 - Rio Vermelho - Imagem
- 1994 - Ao Vivo - Imagem
- 1993 - Luíza - JVC