|Traded as||NASDAQ: ITRI|
|Headquarters||Liberty Lake, Washington,
Number of locations
|49 sites in over 100 countries (of which 27 are manufacturing facilities)|
|Philip Mezey (President & CEO)|
Water Comm Modules
Sensing + Control
|Revenue||$2 billion (2014) |
|Slogan||Creating a more Resourceful World|
Itron Inc. is a technology and services company dedicated to the resourceful use of energy and water. Itron corporate headquarters is based in Liberty Lake, Washington (state). They provide comprehensive solutions that measure, manage and analyze energy and water. Their product portfolio includes electricity, gas, water and thermal energy measurement devices and control technology; communications systems; software; as well as managed and consulting services. Itron has over 8,000 customers in more than 100 countries and they are dedicated to helping manage energy and water resources.
Itron was founded by a small group of engineers trying to find more efficient ways to read meters in Hauser Lake, Idaho, in 1977. Starting in 1872, when Chamon and Nicolas first joined forces to begin producing gas, then water and electricity meters in France, the first manufacturing facility was built 15 years later in Italy. When Sangamo Electric Co. was acquired, and Itron founded in 1977, meter production was moved to West Union, South Carolina. In 1984, Itron experienced global expansion into the Asian market and developed new manufacturing plants in France and the U.K. By 2006, Itron consulting teams were created to pursue growing opportunities in energy efficiency programs, renewables, conservation and demand response. Itron gained national recognition from the White House in 2010, for its commitment to U.S.-based manufacturing and contributions to a clean energy economy. Within the same year, Itron and Cisco formed an alliance to deliver Internet Protocol (IP) communications to the smart grid market thus changing networking capabilities for utilities. Itron is a founding member of the Smart Cities Council, having joined in 2013. Itron is also a partner of Microsoft CityNext helping with global Smart City initiatives. After developing Itron OpenWay Riva adaptive communications technology (ACT), Itron launched the Itron Riva Developers Community for the Internet of Things, dedicated to developers interested in developing software applications for the IoT space.
2012 - Itron acquires SmartSynch, cellular communications and also acquires C&N GasGate Technology for enhanced smart gas distribution systems.
2007 - Itron expands global footprint and both gas and water metering products are added to product portfolio. Itron acquires Actaris Metering Systems.
2004 – Itron acquires Schlumberger Electricity Metering.
2002 - Itron acquires software solutions for distributed system design, field workforce management and energy forecasting.
1996 - Itron acquires UTS, bringing MV-90 metering software application to its product portfolio.
1995 - AEG Meters are acquired with production sites in Italy, Germany, Spain & South Africa.
1993 – Itron acquires two German companies, Heliowatt and Danyl.
1989 - Itron acquires a number of metering companies including, Thorn Emi Gas Metering in the U.K. and Bosco Spa in Italy.
1987 – Itron acquires Allmess Congermania and Conteuro Rigas in Europe, as well as two U.S. companies for gas and water meter technology, Sprague and Neptune, respectfully.
Various utilities have worked with Itron to deploy smart meters, advanced communications technology, analytics software and other resource management solutions. Below are some of the utilities that have worked and partnered with Itron for smart meter projects.
- North America: CenterPoint Energy; Southern California Edison; BC Hydro; FirstEnergy; DTE Energy; San Diego Gas & Electric; Cleaveland Water; Sacramento Municipal Utility District; Glendale Water and Power; Rancho California Water District; Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP).
- Europe, Middle East & Africa: EDF Energy; Gaz reseau Distribution France (GrDF); Yorkshire Water; Italgas; Malta Water Services Corporation; State Oil Company of Azerbaijan (SOCAR); Aguas de Valencia; Linea Distribuzione, Stadtnetze Neustadt and Stadtwerke Garbsen.
- Asia Pacific & Australia: Powercor; CitiPower; PT Perusahaan Listrik Negara (PLN); Hong Kong Water; Sydney Water; Mitsubishi Electric Corporation; Tonga Power Limited (TPL).
- South America: Iberdrola; Dominican Corporation of State Electricity Companies; NAMC Algeria; CPFL Energia; Eletrobras; ELO Sistemas Eletrônicos (ELO).
Recognition & Awards
- 2014 North American Frost & Sullivan Award for Smart City Company of the Year
- Best Diversity Careers Company by Diversity/Careers Magazine
- Greentech Media Top Ten Smart Grid Vendors of 2013
- Greentech Media Top Ten Smart Grid Vendors in 2012
- North America Frost & Sullivan Award for Product Quality
- Smart Technology Innovation Award 2011 at the Smart Energy Middle East Conference
- Top 50 Green Companies of Washington State in 2011 by Seattle Business Magazine at Green Washington Awards
- The Best Quality Company Award by the South African Department of Trade and Industry (DTI)
- Metering International Excellence Award 2011, African Utility Week in Cape Town
- 2010 Business Achievement Award for growth by the Climate Change Business Journal 
- North America Smart Grid Monitoring & Communications Company of the Year 2010 by New Economy Magazine 
- Teradata Partner Impact Award for Innovation in the independent software vendor category
- "History Itron". Itron.com. Retrieved 2015-09-17.
- "Internet of Things". itron.com. Retrieved 2015-09-17.
- "Frost & Sullivan Recognizes Itron with 2014 North American Smart City Company of the Year Award". finance.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2015-09-17.
- "Reader's Choice: Best Diversity Companies 2014". diversitycareers.com. Retrieved 2015-09-17.
- "Who Are the Top Vendors in Smart Grid?". greentechmedia.com. Retrieved 2015-09-17.
- "Who Are the Top Ten Vendors in Smart Grid?". greentechmedia.com. Retrieved 2015-09-17.
- "Itron Honored by Frost & Sullivan". metering.com. Retrieved 2015-09-17.
- "Itron Recognized for Smart Technology Leadership". itron.com. Retrieved 2015-09-17.
- "The 2011 Green Washington Awards and the first Washington Green 50". http://seattlebusinessmag.com. Retrieved 2015-09-17.
- "Itron Factory Wins Awards from EEI, South African Government". nema.org. Retrieved 2015-09-18.
- "tron wins Metering International Excellence Award for Africa". metering.com. Retrieved 2015-09-18.
- "2010 CCBJ Business Achievement Award". environmentalbusinessjournal.com. Retrieved 2015-09-18.
- "Awards and Recognition". itron.com. Retrieved 2015-09-18.
- "Teradata Announces Winners for its Second Annual Partner Impact Awards Program". prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2015-09-18.
|This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (September 2015)|