Ittymaani: Made in China
|Ittymaani: Made in China|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Jibi Joju|
|Produced by||Antony Perumbavoor|
|Written by||Jibi Joju|
K. P. A. C. Lalitha
|Music by||4 Musics|
|Edited by||Sooraj E. S.|
|Distributed by||Maxlab Cinemas and Entertainments|
|6 September 2019|
|Budget||₹9 crore (US$1.3 million)|
|Box office||₹26.35 crore (US$3.8 million)|
Ittymaani: Made in China is a 2019 Indian Malayalam-language comedy-drama film written and directed by the duo Jibi-Joju in their directorial debut. Produced by Antony Perumbavoor through the company Aashirvad Cinemas, the film stars Mohanlal in the title role, and Honey Rose, Raadhika, Siddique, Aju Varghese, K. P. A. C. Lalitha, Dharmajan Bolgatty and Salim Kumar in supporting roles. The original songs were composed by 4 Musics, Kailas Menon, and Deepak Dev and background score by Dev. The story is set in Kunnamkulam, Thrissur and revolves around Ittymaani, a Chinese-born Indian who moved to his homeland at age 10.
The film began principal photography on 24 April 2019 and was concluded in July, shot mainly in Kerala and a few scenes in China. Ittymaani: Made in China released in theatres worldwide on 6 September 2019.
- Mohanlal as Ittymaani / Ittymaathan
- Raadhika as Plamoottil Annamma
- Siddique as Fr. John Paul
- Aju Varghese as Sugunan
- K. P. A. C. Lalitha as Theyyamma
- Honey Rose as Jessy Pothen
- Dharmajan Bolgatty as Sainu
- Salim Kumar as Mapranam Varkey
- Hareesh Kanaran as Joji Pothen
- Ashokan as Dr. Asif Mooppan
- Sijoy Varghese as Alex
- Vinu Mohan as Ajo
- Kailash as Xavier
- Aristo Suresh as Kapyar Pranchi
- Johny Antony as Advocate Tharyan Kurian
- Swasika as Betty, Xavier's Wife
- Viviya Santh as Ajo's Wife
- Komal Sharma as Alex's Wife
- Nandhu as Roy Mathew
- Sreejith Ravi as Advocate Jerry Idikkula
- Saju Navodaya as Mooshari Bhaskaran
- Rajesh Paravoor as Broker Paulinos
- Madhuri Braganza as Young Theyyamma
- Sekhar Menon as Achayan
- Sunil Sukhada as Father
- Anjana Appukuttan
- Antony Perumbavoor as Hospital Attender
- Krishna Prasad as Doctor
- Niranjan Kannan as Young Ittymaani
- Saju Kodiyan as Registrar
- Sethulekshmi as Mother
- Sarasa Balussery as Inmate at old Age Home
- Savithri Sreedharan as Inmate at Old Age Home
- Chali Pala as Ittymani's Relative
- Yamuna as Joji's and Jessy's Mother
- Sukumaran as Avarachan (Photo Archive)
- Sasi Kalinga as Pothan (Photo Archive)
The duo Jibi and Joju made their directorial debut with Ittymaani: Made in China, produced by Aashirvad Cinemas. Previously they had worked as assistant and associate directors in Malayalam films. It was while working in Vellimoonga (2014) that they decided to work together as a director duo. They came up with the subject of Ittymaani: Made in China in January 2016. Actors were undecided while conceiving the story. They approached Mohanlal when they had the chance to meet him in May 2016 while working as chief associate directors on his film Munthirivallikal Thalirkkumbol. It was on that set that they first told him about Ittymaani: Made in China and the full story was narrated to him during the final dubbing work of Munthirivallikal Thalirkkumbol. Jibi and Joju briefed the screenplay to Mohanlal in January 2017 and told him beforehand that it was not written with him in mind and may require rework. Mohanlal too felt that when heard and suggested changes. They reworked the screenplay in five months and met him again at the sets of Velipadinte Pusthakam, but Mohanlal recommended them to cast someone else for the role as the film will delay if waited for him as he had committed multiple big-budget projects at that time. But Jibi and Joju had set their mind to proceed only if Mohanlal was available. Hence, Mohanlal directed them to discuss the matter with producer Antony Perumbavoor. Antony liked the reworked screenplay and called for a final meeting in October 2018. Mohanlal approved the screenplay and the project was green-lit when Antony decided to produce the film. The film was officially announced by Mohanlal through his social media handles on 22 October 2018. Initially, Jibi and Joju approached some screenwriters to write the screenplay, but they declined as the project was not approved at that time. Later the duo decided to write it themselves. Mohanlal suggested changes to include a message in the story and sanctioned the screenplay after several drafts.
The pooja ceremony of the film was held at Kochi on 24 April 2019 followed by the start of principal photography. Characters speak Thrissur slang in the film. Part of the film was shot at St. Stanislaus Forane Church, Mala, where Mohanlal, Salim Kumar, Aristo Suresh and Johny Antony performed the traditional Kerala Christian woman's dance Margamkali along with 512 artistes between the ages of 3 and 65. It is featured as part of a church fund raiser for constructing houses in the film. The dance was choreographed by Prasanna Sujit. Filming underwent in Ernakulam and Alappuzha locales in June 2019. Four days filming was conducted in China in July 2019. Ittymaani's father's portions were filmed there. One of the stills released from the set featured him along with Tai Chi fighters as part of a song sequence. Ittymaani's childhood was filmed in China and the look of old China was needed for that. Hence, the scenes were filmed in studios in China. Filming was concluded in that month and entered post-production.
|Ittymaani: Made in China|
|Soundtrack album by|
Wow and Flutter Studios
The music was composed by the ensemble group 4 Musics, Deepak Dev, and Kailas Menon, with lyrics for the songs written by Santhosh Varma, Liu Shuang, and Manu Manjith. The background score was composed by Deepak Dev. Songs were released by the label Goodwill Entertainments.
|Ittymaani: Made in China (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)|
|1.||"Bomma Bomma"||Santhosh Varma, Liu Shuang||4 Musics||M. G. Sreekumar, Vrinda Shameek Ghosh, Master Adithyan, Liu Shuang, Teresa Rose Geo||4:14|
|2.||"Kunjade Ninte Manassil"||Santhosh Varma||4 Musics||Shankar Mahadevan, Biby Mathew, Sulfique, Devika Sooryaprakash, Vrinda Shameek Ghosh, Haritha Balakrishnan||3:42|
|3.||"Kando Kando"||Santhosh Varma||Deepak Dev||Mohanlal, Vaikom Vijayalakshmi|
|4.||"Vennilavu Peythalinja"||Manu Manjith||Kailas Menon||Najim Arshad,K. S. Harisankar, Devika Sooryaprakash, Manjari (Indian singer)|
The film received positive response from the audience. Bibin Babu from The Times of India Malayalam rated the film 3.5 out of 5 stars and said that Ittymaani: Made in China can be included in the "feel good" entertainer category. G. Ragesh of Malayala Manorama rated 3 out of 5 stars and wrote "Ittymaani Made in China has an interesting plot that appeals to audience all over the world". Sangeetha Lakshmi of Mathrubhumi wrote that the film is a "feel good family entertainer". Writing for Indian Express Malayalam, Dhanya K. Vilayil wrote that Ittymaani: Made in China is a festival celebration movie, with all the right ingredients for the fans to celebrate. Behindwoods.com critic wrote: "'Ittymaani: Made in China' is entertaining with Mohanlal - KPAC Lalitha's endearing performances and humorous moments", and rated 2.75 out of 5. Rating 2.5 out of 5, The New Indian Express stated that the film is "all about loving your parents" and it "has one of the most daring interval blocks in recent memory". However, writing for Huffington Post, Neelima Menon said, "At a time when Malayalam cinema has come a long way in terms of craft, concepts, technology and ideas, a film like Ittimani is a huge step back—more so when you have a superstar like Mohanlal anchoring it". Deepa Antony of The Times of India rated 2 out of 5 and wrote: "'Ittymani :Made in China' is a weak story and a weaker script that even the Mohanlal cannot save." Vidya Nair of Deccan Chronicle also rated 2 out of 5 and wrote: "a weak attempt to narrate a good subject that might only survive due to the performances of some ace actors." The Indian Express rated 1.5 out of 5 and wrote that "the script has no originality or fresh ideas, it is Mohanlal who gives everything to make even a dull scene tolerable." The Hindu critic felt that the "latter half, where the social message gets delivered, is almost like an unending television soap".
- Cite error: The named reference
budgetwas invoked but never defined (see the help page).
- Cite error: The named reference
BOwas invoked but never defined (see the help page).
- മേനോൻ, ശ്രീലക്ഷ്മി (6 September 2019). "കുന്ദംകുളവും ചൈനയും 'ഡ്യൂപ്ലിക്കേറ്റ്' ബന്ധവും, ഇതില് ഇട്ടിമാണിക്കെന്താണ് കാര്യം?". Mathrubhumi (in Malayalam). Retrieved 6 September 2019.
- "'ഈ നിമിഷം മുകളിലേക്ക് നോക്കുമ്പോള് ആകാശത്ത് ഉദിച്ച് നില്ക്കുന്ന ചന്ദ്രന് ലാലേട്ടന്റെ മുഖമാണ്'". Mathrubhumi (in Malayalam). 21 May 2019. Retrieved 22 June 2019.
- "'മോഹൻലാലിന് വേണ്ടി എഴുതിയ കഥയായിരുന്നില്ല'; ഇട്ടിമാണി മെയ്ഡ് ഇൻ ചൈനയെപ്പറ്റി ഇതുവരെ അറിയാത്തതെല്ലാം". News18 Malayalam (in Malayalam). 18 May 2019. Retrieved 22 June 2019.
- Web team (14 May 2019). "'ഇനിയെല്ലാം ആന്റണി തീരുമാനിക്കും', 'ഇട്ടിമാണി'യുടെ ഫൈനല് സ്ക്രിപ്റ്റ് കേട്ട് മോഹന്ലാല് പറഞ്ഞു". Asianet (in Malayalam). Retrieved 22 June 2019.
- "Mohanlal in and as Ittimani". Deccan Chronicle. 23 October 2019. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- വാരിയർ, ഉണ്ണി കെ. (10 September 2019). "'സിനിമയിൽ സത്യത്തിൽ എന്താണു പണി': ഇട്ടിമാണി ചെയ്യാൻ, കാത്തിരുന്നത് 25 വർഷം". Malayala Manorama (in Malayalam). Retrieved 12 September 2019.
- Ramachandran, Mythily (4 September 2019). "MohanLal's 'Ittymaani — Made in China' is a family entertainer". Gulf News. Retrieved 4 September 2019.
- "'Ittimani Made in China' puja in Kochi". The Times of India. 24 April 2019. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- "തൃശൂര് ഭാഷ സംസാരിക്കുന്ന മോഹൻലാല്, ഇട്ടിമാണി: മേയ്ഡ് ഇൻ ചൈന ഷൂട്ടിംഗ് തുടങ്ങി". Asianet. 24 April 2019. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- "ചട്ടയും മുണ്ടും ധരിച്ച് മാര്ഗംകളി വേഷത്തിൽ മോഹന്ലാല്, വൈറലായി ഇട്ടിമാണിയുടെ ഫസ്റ്റ് ലുക്ക്". Mathrubhumi. 17 May 2019. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- "Ittymaani will have a margamkali performance with 512 artistes". The Times of India. Retrieved 23 May 2019.
- Daily, Keralakaumudi. "ആദ്യം ബിഗ് ബ്രദർ, പിന്നീട് കാപ്പാനും മരയ്ക്കാറും, മോഹൻലാലിന്റെ തീരുമാനത്തിന് പിന്നിലെ കാരണമിതാണ്". Keralakaumudi Daily.
- Sidhardhan, Sanjith (22 July 2019). "Mohanlal to play double role again in Ittymaani". The Times of India. Retrieved 23 July 2019.
- പ്രജിത്ത്, പി. (9 September 2019). "ഇട്ടിമാണിയുടെ ചൈനയിലെ ചിത്രീകരണം: വീഡിയോ കാണാം". Mathrubhumi (in Malayalam). Retrieved 12 September 2019.
- Sidhardhan, Sanjith (19 July 2019). "Mohanlal's Ittymaani: Made in China wraps up production". The Times of India. Retrieved 23 July 2019.
- "'Ittymaani: Made in China' is about a mother-son bond, says Mohanlal". The New Indian Express. 4 September 2019. Retrieved 4 September 2019.
- Sidhardhan, Sanjith (12 April 2019). "Mohanlal's Ittimani: Made in China will be an Onam release". The Times of India. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- Hooli, Shekhar H. (6 September 2019). "Ittymaani: Made in China movie review and rating by audience: Live updates". International Business Times. Retrieved 8 September 2019.
- "Ittymani Made in China: Fans give a thumbs-up to the Mohanlal starrer". The Times of India. 6 September 2019. Retrieved 8 September 2019.
- Babu, Bibin (6 September 2019). "ഇട്ടിമാണി മെയ്ഡ് ഇൻ ചൈന". The Times of India Malayalam (in Malayalam). Retrieved 8 September 2019.
- Ragesh, G. (6 September 2019). "Ittymaani Made in China review: Mohanlal in family mould". Malayala Manorama. Retrieved 8 September 2019.
- ലക്ഷ്മി, സംഗീത (6 September 2019). "മാസും മനസും മാത്രമല്ല ഇട്ടിമാണി: റിവ്യൂ". Mathrubhumi (in Malayalam). Retrieved 8 September 2019.
- Vilayil, Dhanya K. (8 September 2019). "Ittymaani Made in China Review: ഉത്സവാഘോഷ ചിത്രം: 'ഇട്ടിമാണി മെയ്ഡ് ഇന് ചൈന' റിവ്യൂ". Indian Express Malayalam (in Malayalam). Retrieved 8 September 2019.
- "Ittymaani Made In China (aka) Ittymaani: Made In China review". Behindwoods. 6 September 2019. Retrieved 8 September 2019.
- Shrijith, Sajin (6 September 2019). "'Ittymaani: Made in China' review: The Mohanlal film is preachy and occasionally funny". The New Indian Express. Retrieved 8 September 2019.
- "'Ittymaani: Made in China' Review: This Mohanlal-Starrer Feels Like A Step Back For Malayalam Cinema". HuffPost India. 6 September 2019.
- "Ittymaani: Made In China Movie Review: A weak story with a weaker script" – via timesofindia.indiatimes.com.
- Nair, Vidya (7 September 2019). "Ittymani- Made in China movie review: Weak narrative for a strong plot". Deccan Chronicle.
- "Ittymaani Made in China movie review: This Mohanlal comedy is a disappointment". 7 September 2019.