Rear Admiral Itunu Hotonu (born 18 January 1959) is a Nigerian naval officer and architect. One of the first women officers and amongst the first architects in the Nigerian Navy, she has served as a staff college instructor and abroad in Liberia. In December 2012 she became the first female admiral in Africa.
Itunu Hotonu was born (as Itunu Tomori) on 18 January 1959. By the age of 13 she decided that she wanted to become an architect. Hotonu studied architecture at the University of Nigeria, where she was often the only woman in her classes. After graduating she worked in an architect's office for two years whilst she took her professional examinations.
Hotonu applied to join the Engineering Corps of the Nigerian Army but was told there were no positions for women in that field. She then applied to the Navy, which did not have gender restrictions. She was accepted as an officer candidate at the National Defence Academy, Abuja, in 1985. She was the first woman to attend the academy and graduated as best overall student in her class of 73. She won the Commander-in-Chief's Prize and also the Commandant's Prize for best research project. Hotonu became one of the first architects to join the Nigerian Navy.
Hotonu was the first female officer to serve as an instructor at the Armed Forces Command and Staff College in Jaji. In 2012 she spent time in Liberia mentoring women in that country's armed forces. She was promoted to the rank of rear admiral in December 2012, becoming the first female admiral in Africa.
Hotonu is married to architect Abayomi Hotonu with whom she has three children.
- "Ambode's wife, others laud 50 years of women's contributions to Lagos". Daily Times Nigeria. 2017-05-19. Retrieved 2020-05-03.
- Editor, Online. "Lagos @ 50: Making heroine of the girl-child New Telegraph Online New Telegraph". New Telegraph. Retrieved 2020-05-03.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- "NIA advised to train, mentor aspiring female architects". Punch Newspapers. Retrieved 2020-05-03.
- Nkasiobi, Oluikpe. "Female Architects Seek Role In Decision-Making Process, Leadership". Independent News.
- "THE ROLE OF WOMEN AND GIRLS IN PEACE INITIATIVES IN NIGERIA" (PDF).
- "FIRST WOMEN: First Nigerian Woman To Become A Rear Admiral In the Nigerian Navy". Woman Nigeria. 21 September 2016. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- "Women who want to break boundaries must be ethical —Rear Admiral Itunu Hotonu » Features » Tribune Online". Tribune Online. 2016-12-25. Retrieved 2020-05-03.
- editor (2019-09-13). "Aisha Buhari Calls for Eradication of Gender Bias in Military". THISDAYLIVE. Retrieved 2020-05-03.CS1 maint: extra text: authors list (link)
- "'If I die, I DIE!'". The Nation Nigeria. 6 May 2017. Retrieved 29 November 2017.
- "How to achieve gender balance — Hotonu - P.M. News". www.pmnewsnigeria.com. Retrieved 2020-05-03.
- "Hotonu advises women on leadership". Punch Newspapers. Retrieved 2020-05-03.
- "Most Senior Female Military Officer Speaks On Gender Issues In Military". Channels Television. Retrieved 2020-05-03.
- "Adenike Osofisan Deserves National Honour – UI VC -". The NEWS. 2019-06-10. Retrieved 2020-05-03.