Maric during the 2017 pre-season
|Full name||Ivan Marić|
|Date of birth||4 January 1986|
|Place of birth||Victoria, Australia|
|Original team(s)||Keilor (EDFL)
|Draft||No. 40, 2004 AFL National Draft: Adelaide|
|Debut||Round 6, 2006, Adelaide
vs. Port Adelaide, at AAMI Stadium
|Height||200 cm (6 ft 7 in)|
|Weight||102 kg (225 lb)|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2016.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
Ivan Maric (Croatian: Ivan Marić, born 4 January 1986) is an Australian rules footballer who plays with the Richmond Football Club in the Australian Football League (AFL). He served as the club's vice-captain in 2015 and 2016. Previously he played for the Adelaide Crows Football Club between 2005 and 2011 and joined Richmond in 2012. He was once one of the most distinct players in the AFL, thanks to his hard 'old-style' footballing demeanour, and his mullet hairstyle. He pronounces his name as 'E-varn Marrich'.
Junior and state league football
A late starter to the game, Maric didn't play competitive football until he was 16 because of a blossoming basketball career. Maric nearly quit in his second season with the Calder Cannons because of his frustration with the technical aspects of the game. However Maric was talked into playing on and was drafted by the Crows with pick 40 in the 2004 AFL Draft only months later. Maric was assigned to the Port Adelaide Magpies in the SANFL where he quickly became the number one ruckman in 2005.
AFL debut was in round six of 2006 in the Showdown against Port Adelaide. He had seven disposals and kicked 1 goal on debut. Maric played a total of eight matches in 2006 and averaged 6 disposals and 9 hit-outs a game.
In 2007, a hip injury meant that he missed the early part of the season and returned to the senior side for the round 14 match against Hawthorn. In the round 19 clash with the Geelong Football Club Maric was promoted to the number 1 ruckman but was then dropped for the round 20 clash with the Western Bulldogs. In 2008, a pre-season injury and form delayed his return to midway through the season. He played out the rest of the season in the ruck, cementing his spot as the new number one ruck. 2009 saw Maric continued as Adelaide's clear number one ruckman.
In 2011 the combination of the new interchange rules and the arrival of Sam Jacobs at the Crows saw Maric given limited opportunities. Maric played just six games for the season. At the season's end it was reported Maric was keen to leave the Crows, with strong interest from Richmond. He was traded to Richmond in the 2011 Trade Week period, with Adelaide accepting Richmond's second-round pick (no. 37) for him, which was then subsequently on-traded to St. Kilda for Tom Lynch.
Maric joined Richmond in 2012 and established himself as the club's number one ruckman. In his first year, he played 21 games and finished third in the club's best and fairest award, the Jack Dyer Medal. In November 2012, he was voted onto the club's seven player leadership group by his peers, for the 2013 season. In 2013, Maric missed three games through injury, but still played 20 games.
In January 2015, Maric was appointed joint vice-captain for the 2015 season, along with Brett Deledio. He played 22 matches that season, including an appearance in the club's elimination final against North Melbourne.
- Statistics are correct to the end of the 2016 season
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
- "Maric joins Deledio as vice-captain". Richmond Football Club. Richmond Football Club. 12 January 2015. Retrieved 13 January 2015.
- Greenberg's draft Grabs
- Katrina Gill. "Moonlighting:Ivan Maric".
- Katrina Gill (2007). "Pre-season snapshot: Adelaide".
- Zac Milbank, The Advertiser 8 Sept. 2011.
- "Trent Cotchin wins second Jack Dyer Medal as Richmond best-and-fairest". Herald Sun. News Ltd. 6 September 2012. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- Paton, Al (30 November 2012). "Richmond promotes Ivan Maric, Dylan Grimes to leadership group". News.com.au. News Ltd. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- James, Matthew (2 August 2013). "Tiger tall can still shine". The Age. Fairfax Media. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- "Richmond drops Jack Riewoldt from leadership group". The Age. Fairfax Media. 11 February 2014. Retrieved 16 February 2014.
- "Ivan Maric". AFL Tables. Retrieved 20 March 2017.
- Laughton, Max (5 October 2016). "Ruckman Ivan Maric signs one-year contract extension with Richmond to stay at Tigerland until end of 2017". Fox Sports. News Ltd. Retrieved 17 December 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ivan Maric.|