|Alma mater||University of Southern California|
|Occupation||Business consultant, Keynote speaker|
|Known for||founder and Chairman of BNI|
|Home town||Austin, Texas|
|Board member of||BNI
University of La Verne
|Awards||Red Cross Humanitarian of the Year|
Ivan Misner is the founder and Chairman of business networking organization BNI, called the “Father of Modern Networking” by CNN and the “Networking Guru” by Entrepreneur magazine.
Misner graduated with degrees in political science and management. In 1980 he was hired by the president of a transportation company in Los Angeles to turn it around. Joining as the Assistant to the President, he was soon tasked with running the purchasing operation, and later was put in charge of sales and marketing. Misner graduated with a Ph.D. in organizational behavior from the University of Southern California in 1993.
After starting his own consultancy business, Misner founded BNI in California in 1985 after losing a big client "looking for referrals for my consultancy practice and for fellow business people who I liked and trusted" and "for the primary purpose of building powerful referral networks". Misner later created the concept statement around which BNI now operates Givers Gain. Having expanded across North America and globally through a franchise-based business model, BNI now claims to be the largest business networking group in the world.
Misner has written 16 books including the New York Times bestseller Truth or Delusion? Busting Networking’s Biggest Myths, and co-author of the Wall Street Journal best seller "The 29% Solution: 52 Weekly Networking Success Strategies.
Misner is a columnist for Entrepreneur.com and Business Insider, and has featured in the L.A. Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and other publications, as well as television and radio shows on CNN, CNBC, the BBC and The Today Show on NBC.
An advocated the teaching of networking skills in university business studies curricula, Misner has taught business management and social capital courses at several United States universities. He is on the Board of Trustees for the University of La Verne. Misner trademarked his name in April 2011.
Misner grew up in Covina, California and graduated from Gladstone High School. Misner and his wife Beth lived with their three children, Ashley, Cassie, and Trey, in Claremont, California, until the couple moved to Austin, Texas in 2013. In his spare time he is also an amateur magician.
- Ivan Misner; Hazel M. Walker; Frank J. De Raffele. Business Networking and Sex: Not What You Think.
- Ivan Misner; David Alexander; Brian Hilliard. Networking Like A Pro.
- Bob Nicoll; LuAnn Buechler; Bronwyn Ashbaker; Ivan Misner. Exceptional Care for Your Valued Client.
- Ivan R. Misner; Don Morgan. Masters of Sales.
- Ivan R. Misner; Don Morgan. Masters of Success.
- Ivan R. Misner. Worlds Best Known Marketing Secret.
- Ivan R. Misner; Robert Davis. Business by Referral.
- Ivan R. Misner. Masters of Networking.
- Ivan R. Misner; Candace Bailly; Dan Georgevich (May 1, 2003). It’s in the Cards. Paradigm Publishing. ISBN 0974081906.
- Ivan R. Misner (October 17, 2006). Truth or Delusion?: Busting Networking's Biggest Myths. Thomas Nelson. ISBN 0785223207.
- Ivan Misner; Michelle R. Donovan (September 1, 2008). The 29% Solution: 52 Weekly Networking Success Strategies. Greenleaf Book Group Press. ISBN 1929774540.
- Ivan Misner; Niiraj R. Shah. The BNI Handy Guide to Networking.
- Darrell W. Gurney; Ivan Misner. Never Apply for a Job Again!.
- Timothy M. Houston; Ivan R. Misner; Bob Burg; Susan RoAne. The World's Worst Networker: Lessons Learned By The Best From The Absolute Worst.
- Greg Rollett, J.W. Dicks, Lindsay Dicks, Nick Nanton, Dr. Ivan Misner. Building The Ultimate Network.
- The Handy Guide to Networking (available to the public for free)
- "Network group is launched". Birmingham Evening Mail. October 4, 1999. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- Peter Sterling (September 28, 2006). "The art of multiplication". Australasian Business Intelligence. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- "Mayor Hazel McCallion Announces Today Grand Opening of the Referral Institute". CCNMatthews Newswire. February 19, 2008. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- "Ring this date for a global networking opportunity". The Mercury (South Africa). January 24, 2007. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- DANIEL KENNEMER (March 4, 2005). "'Networking guru' pushes the power of shmoozing". Jerusalem Post. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- Ivan Misner (December 19, 2011). "Marketing Matters". http://businessnetworking.com. Retrieved 2012-07-29. External link in
- Ivan Misner. "You need a pilot to fly". CZCommunity.com. Retrieved 2012-07-29.
- Charles M. Bartholomew (February 22, 2005). "New business network group starts in Portage". Post-Tribune. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- "An Interview with Dr. Ivan Misner". SuccessNet UK. Retrieved 2012-07-29.
- Jantsch, John (2006). "Ramp Up a Systematic Referral Machine". Duct Tape Marketing. Nashville, Tennessee: Thomas Nelson. p. 202. ISBN 978-1-59555-146-7.
- "Why Technology Is Rewarding Close Personal Relationships". California Science & Technology News. 2006-02-23. Archived from the original on 2008-09-29. Retrieved 2008-09-17.
- "Good Advice Is Always A Best Practice". ISO & Agent. July 1, 2010. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- "GIVERS GAIN' THROUGH NETWORKING GROUP". The Capital Times. December 3, 1997. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- "WALL STREET JOURNAL BEST-SELLERS". Associated Press. September 11, 2008. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- "Ivan Misner". Business Insider. Retrieved 2012-07-29.
- "The Top Eight Rules of Networking". Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2012-07-29.
- Stacy Rapacon (July 4, 2010). "Social networks can lend friendly hand to job hunt". Washington Post. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- Deirdre Conner (20 August 2012). "5 QUESTIONS FOR IVAN MISNER". Roanoke Times. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- Ivan Misner; Mike Garrison; Mike Macedonio (April 23, 2007). "At a funeral, network with the living". New Zealand Herald. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- "Entrepreneur Column". Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News. August 2, 2002. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- "Time's right to move on". Daily Mail. November 19, 2009. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- JAMES T. MADORE (March 28, 1994). "HERE ARE SOME TIPS ON BECOMING A GOOD NETWORKER". The Buffalo News (Buffalo, NY). Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- "Secrets of a Master Networker: Be Enthusiastic, Positive, Trustworthy". Banking Wire. August 9, 2001. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- Adina Genn (June 18, 2004). "Business cards are important marketing tool". Long Island Business News. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- "Scottish-based businesses are set to shine at next week's". Scottish Sunday Herald. June 20, 2010. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- "StevenKayLive.com". CNN. 2007-04-02. Retrieved 2012-07-29.
- Anne Fisher (November 7, 2008). "Be a better networker". CNN Money. Retrieved 2012-07-29.
- Richard Quest (February 13, 2005). "Networking in Davos, Switzerland". CNN. Retrieved 2012-07-29.
- Ivan Misner (30 Jun 2010). "5 Ways to Waste Your Time Networking on Social Media Sites". CNBC. Retrieved 2012-07-29.
- "Television highlights". Dayton Daily News. February 21, 2012. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- "Ivan Misner". University of La Verne. Retrieved 2012-07-29.
- "USPTO ISSUES TRADEMARK: DR. IVAN MISNER". US Fed News Service. April 21, 2011. Retrieved 2012-08-20.
- http://www.bni.com/News/tabid/64/ID/206/BNI-Foundation-Awards-High-School-Student-with-Leadership-Scholarship.aspx#.VWYybc9VhBc. Missing or empty