Ivan Moody (vocalist)
Moody performing at Rock on the Range 2010 in Columbus, Ohio.
|Birth name||Ivan Lewis Greening|
|Also known as||Ghost|
|Born||January 7, 1980|
Denver, Colorado, U.S.
Ivan Moody (born Ivan Lewis Greening) is the lead vocalist for American heavy metal band Five Finger Death Punch. He had performed for several bands before joining Five Finger Death Punch. As an actor, he also starred in the films Bled as Incubus, and The Devil's Carnival as the hobo clown. He was also known by the pseudonym Ghost during his time with Motograter.
Moody was born Ivan Lewis Greening in Marysville, CA. Growing up, he lived in several smaller cities. He said he spent a few summers with his grandmother in La Crosse, Wisconsin. "My grandmother put me in choir when I was about seven years old. I was only in it about two or three years. Music's always been real close to my heart. Like anybody else, there were ups and downs in my life and music just always seemed to be consistent, so it was easy to latch on to. I started singing in bands when I was 16 years old. They used to kick me out of bars after my set was done."
Moody moved to Los Angeles in 2001, adopting his mother's maiden name, Moody. In L.A. he joined his first band called Toiz. The band played a few shows around the Los Angeles area in 2002 and made a demo which was not released. The following year, he joined the nu metal band Motograter. They released their self-titled studio album on June 24, 2003. They gained some mainstream success playing the second stage at Ozzfest 2003 and touring with bands like Korn, Disturbed, Marilyn Manson, Nothingface, Slipknot, Mushroomhead, and Killswitch Engage. Motograter went on a hiatus in 2005 but played a one-time re-union show in 2006 at the Delicious Rox Festival. Moody also made songs with old roommates and family members, Ryan Morrow (bass), Bill Stonebraker (guitar), and Jim "Dugan" Demongey (drums), calling themselves Black Blood Orchestra.
Moody joined the heavy metal band Five Finger Death Punch and his side project Ghost Machine released their debut self-titled album on July 26, 2005. Ghost Machine released their second album, Hypersensitive, on November 21, 2006. On the same year, Five Finger Death Punch entered the studio to record their debut album at Next Level Studios and Complex Studios in Los Angeles with Steve Bruno and Mike Sarkisyan. The album was produced by guitarist Zoltan Bathory and drummer Jeremy Spencer and was mixed by former Machine Head and Soulfly guitarist Logan Mader. Moody also starred in the 2009 horror film Bled, playing the role of Incubus.
Five Finger Death Punch achieved rapid commercial success: their debut album, The Way of the Fist (2007) has currently sold over 600,000 copies in the United States and spawned three top 10 singles. Their second album, War is the Answer (2009), sold more than 44,000 copies in its first week of release, spawned five top 10 singles and has gone on to sell more than 700,000 copies. Their even more successful third record American Capitalist debuted number 3 on the Billboard 200 chart and sold over 90,000 copies in its first week. It was the band's third consecutive RIAA-certified Gold record. On July 30, 2013, The Wrong Side of Heaven and the Righteous Side of Hell, Volume 1 was released, selling over 210,000 copies. Roughly four months later, The Wrong Side of Heaven and the Righteous Side of Hell, Volume 2 was released, rising to number 2 on the Billboard 200, and notable for its single, "Battle Born". They have played many major tours and festivals including Korn's Family Values and Bitch We Have a Problem Tours, the Jägermeister Stage (second stage) at Mayhem Festival in 2008 and the main stage at Mayhem Festival in 2010 and 2013. They also performed at Download Festival in 2009, 2010, 2013 and 2015, and the Monster Stage (main stage) at Rock on the Range in Columbus, Ohio in 2008, 2010, 2012 and 2014, as well as at Rockfest 2012 in Kansas City.
Moody was interviewed for the book Full Metal: The 50 Most Influential Heavy Metal Songs of the 1980s and the True Stories Behind Their Lyrics. He discusses the impact of Metallica's “Fade to Black” on him as a lyricist, in a chapter about the song that also examines its social and cultural significance.
On June 12, 2017, Moody stated during a concert in Tilburg, Netherlands, that it will be his last show with Five Finger Death Punch. The band released a statement saying they would keep moving forward. Moody checked himself into rehab and was replaced for the remaining dates by vocalist Tommy Vext. As of December 2019, Moody had returned to touring with Five Finger Death Punch, stating he had been sober for the past 22 months (since early 2018).
In 2012, Moody revealed that his alcohol problem had nearly got him fired from Five Finger Death Punch. Moody said he would perform drunk and not remember any of it the next day. Moody says that he "felt like a junkie and from that extreme, it takes a lot of effort to go back." Moody references his alcoholism and its battles in the video "I Apologize," where Moody is walking through a graveyard filled with musicians that have died struggling with addiction. In November 2016, Moody cut a concert short in Worcester, claiming that his mother was dying that night. Concertgoers reported that he appeared drunk, and was assisted off the stage. His younger sister told a reporter that their mother was "alive and well". In June 2017, Moody left a Five Finger Death Punch tour for rehab.
Moody was arrested by the Australian Federal Police on February 22, 2014, in Sydney, charged with drunkenly assaulting a female flight attendant on his Qantas flight from Brisbane. The band performed without him in Sydney and Melbourne.
Moody was arrested in April 2015 in Las Vegas for drunken domestic battery against Holly Smith, who was reported as his wife, or as his sometime girlfriend of 17 years. The battery charges were later dropped, but Smith filed a restraining order.
Awards and nominations
Motograter was voted the best band of 2003 by Hit Parader. Five Finger Death Punch has won several awards including The Best New Band award at the 2009 Metal Hammer Golden Gods Awards, the Most Promising Artist award from FMQB’s 2009 year-end Metal poll. They were also nominated for the Best International Newcomer award at 2009 Kerrang! Awards and won the Best Breakthrough Band award at the 2010 Metal Hammer Golden Gods Awards. Best Song for "Lift Me Up" at the 2014 Metal Hammer Golden Gods Awards.
- 2003: Motograter
There are also four Motograter demos with Moody on lead vocals, including "Down (2002 Demo), "No Name (2002 Demo), "Red (2002 Demo)", and "Failure (Live 2004)".
After Hypersensitive, Ghost Machine started working on a remix album that they had to put on the back burner because of the success of Five Finger Death Punch. Four remixes were released for stream on the band's MySpace music remix page: "God Forbid (Black Cape Remix)", "Vegas Moon (Pete Murray Remix)", "Siesta Loca (Steven's Organic Drum Remix)" and "Burning Bridges (Depression Remix)".
Five Finger Death Punch
- 2007: The Way of the Fist
- 2009: War Is the Answer
- 2011: American Capitalist
- 2013: The Wrong Side of Heaven and the Righteous Side of Hell, Volume 1
- 2013: The Wrong Side of Heaven and the Righteous Side of Hell, Volume 2
- 2015: Got Your Six
- 2017: A Decade of Destruction
- 2018: And Justice for None
- 2020: F8
|2012||"A Penny for a Tale"||N/A||The Devil's Carnival|
- "TGIvan Moody of Five Finger Death Punch grew up here and still has a love for Colorado". westword.com/. Retrieved 2015-09-26.
- "TGetting friendly with Five Finger Death Punch (2007)". Dabelly.com/. Retrieved 2015-09-26.
- "The Devil's Carnival (2012)". IMDb.com. Retrieved 2015-09-05.
- "NEWS: Ivan Moody calls Tilburg his "last show" in Five Finger Death Punch! - DEAD PRESS! - It's more than "just music" to us". www.deadpress.co.uk.
- "Ivan Moody To Sit Out FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH European Tour, Checks Back Into Rehab". Metal Injection. 14 June 2017.
- "Five Finger Spencer thought drugs had killed him – Metal Hammer". Metalhammer.teamrock.com. Retrieved 2015-09-05.
- "Five Finger Death Punch's Ivan Moody Digs Own Grave in 'I Apologize' Video". loudwire.com. Retrieved 2015-09-05.
- "Ivan Moody Suffers Meltdown, Cancels Five Finger Death Punch Concert". 28 November 2016.
- "Five Finger Death Punch Singer Ivan Moody Details Rehab Stay, Plans Stage Return in August". Billboard.
- "Five Finger Death Punch singer faces court after "unruly behaviour" on Qantas flight". FasterLouder. 2014-02-26. Retrieved 2018-05-18.
- "Five Finger Death Punch Singer -- Wife Files For Divorce After Getting Strangled In Jiu-Jitsu Chokehold". TMZ.
- "Police disclose arrest of Five Finger Death Punch singer at Vegas hotel". 13 August 2015.
- "Five Finger Death Punch Singer -- Wife and Sister Plead ... Get to Rehab, STAT!". TMZ.
- "Former MOTOGRATER Frontman Resurfaces In FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH". Roadrunnerreocrds.com. Archived from the original on 2011-06-06. Retrieved 2015-09-05.