Ivan Ramen is a ramen noodle restaurant with two locations in New York City, United States (Hell's Kitchen and Lower East Side) which are run by chef Ivan Orkin.
Owner Ivan Orkin was born in Syosset, New York, and moved to Japan in the 1980s to teach English after graduating from college. In 1990, he returned to the United States with his Japanese wife, Tamie, and attended the Culinary Institute of America from 1991 to 1993. He subsequently worked as a chef in New York at the Mesa Grill and Lutèce. His wife Tamie died in 1998, and Orkin met his second wife, Mari, on a subsequent trip to Japan; they moved to Japan together in 2003.
The original Ivan Ramen Ramen shop in Setagaya, Tokyo, opened in June 2006. The 10-seat restaurant received early positive reviews and press attention. In 2010, a second location with 16 seats, Ivan Ramen Plus, opened nearby. After moving back to the United States, Ivan Orkin announced the closure of Ivan Ramen in Tokyo in November 2015, handing over the shop to his long time chef and manager, Hisao Matsumoto.
Orkin moved to New York in 2011, opening Ivan Ramen restaurants in Hell's Kitchen and the Lower East Side in 2013.
A book about the restaurant, Ivan Ramen: Love, Obsession, and Recipes from Tokyo's Most Unlikely Noodle Joint, was published in 2013. Ivan Ramen was featured on an episode of the Netflix series Chef's Table in 2017.
- Nagata, Kazuaki (7 February 2008). "Japanese slurping up U.S. chef's ramen". The Japan Times.
- Hayashi, Yuka (29 September 2007). "Trying to Out-Noodle the Japanese". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 18 August 2010.
- Tor, Ching-Li (November 10, 2010). "Tales from a Tokyo ramen chef: Ivan Orkin". CNN.
- "ramenjunkie". Instagram. November 11, 2015.
- Gross, Max (October 30, 2013). "Meet the Jewish king of ramen". New York Post.
- Orkin, Ivan (2013). Ivan Ramen: Love, Obsession, and Recipes from Tokyo's Most Unlikely Noodle Joint. Berkeley, Calif.: Ten Speed Press. ISBN 9781607744467. OCLC 852399997. Retrieved April 7, 2014.
- "The art of the slurp (or, How to eat ramen)". The Splendid Table. April 4, 2014. Retrieved April 7, 2014.
- Kludt, Amanda (February 17, 2017). "'Chef's Table' Recap: Ivan Orkin". Eater.