Ivo Maria Robert Belet (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈivoː bəˈlɛt]; born on 7 June 1959 in Sint-Truiden), is a Belgian politician and Member of the European Parliament for Flanders with the CD&V, part of the European People's Party, and sits on the European Parliament's Committee on Industry, Research and Energy. He is a former news anchor of VRT, the Flemish public broadcaster.
He is a substitute for the Committee on Culture and Education and the Committee on Petitions. He is also a member of the Delegation for relations with the countries of South Asia and the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC).
In May 2011, as Rapporteur on the future of professional football, with Syed Kamall, Chairman of the Parliamentary Sports Intergroup, he called for a reform of the Fédération Internationale de Football Association: "FIFA is facing a series of corruption scandals, dragging professional football through the mud. It is time for a big clean-up. We, in the European Parliament, therefore support a thorough reform of FIFA. A transparent and independent committee needs to lead an enquiry into the malpractices".
- 1981: Degree in Germanic philology
- 1983: Trainee at the European Parliament and the European Commission
- 1984: Assistant to an MEP
- 1985: Editor at Concentra NV
- 1988: Degree in economics
- 1989: Journalist with VRT-TV (Flemish Radio and Television Company)
- 1996: MBA
- Jackson, Jamie; Ingle, Sean (31 May 2011). "FIFA in crisis". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 2011-05-31.
- Website of Ivo Belet
- Personal profile of Ivo Belet in the European Parliament's database of members
- Declaration (PDF) of financial interests (Dutch)
|This article about a Member of the European Parliament from Belgium is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|