|Member of the European Parliament|
|Born||7 June 1959|
|Political party||Christian Democratic and Flemish (CD&V)|
Ivo Maria Robert Belet (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈivoː bəˈlɛt]; born on 7 June 1959 in Sint-Truiden), is a Belgian politician who served as Member of the European Parliament for Flanders with the CD&V, part of the European People's Party. He is a former news anchor of VRT, the Flemish public broadcaster.
Education and early career
- 1981: Degree in Germanic philology
- 1983: Trainee at the European Parliament and the European Commission
- 1984: Assistant to an MEP
- 1985: Editor at Concentra NV
- 1988: Degree in economics
- 1989: Journalist with VRT-TV (Flemish Radio and Television Company)
- 1996: MBA
Member of the European Parliament, 2004–2019
During his time as Member of the European Parliament from 2004 until 2019, Belet served on the Committee on Industry, Research and Energy (2004-2006, 2009-2014), the Committee on Culture and Education (2006–2009) and the Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety (since 2014). From 2008 until 2009, he was a member of the Temporary Committee on Climate Change. From 2017 until 2019, he also served on the Special Committee on Terrorism, a temporary body to address the practical and legislative deficiencies in the fight against terrorism across the EU.
Belet was a substitute for the Committee on Transport and Tourism. He was also a member of the delegation for relations with India. In addition to his committee assignments, he served as a member of the European Parliament Intergroup on Children's Rights.
In May 2011, as rapporteur on the future of professional football, with Syed Kamall, Chairman of the Parliamentary Sports Intergroup, he called for a reform of the Fédération Internationale de Football Association: "FIFA is facing a series of corruption scandals, dragging professional football through the mud. It is time for a big clean-up. We, in the European Parliament, therefore support a thorough reform of FIFA. A transparent and independent committee needs to lead an enquiry into the malpractices".
- ^ Members of the European Parliament Intergroup on Children's Rights European Parliament.
- ^ Jackson, Jamie; Ingle, Sean (31 May 2011). "FIFA in crisis". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 31 May 2011.
- Website of Ivo Belet
- Personal profile of Ivo Belet in the European Parliament's database of members
- Declaration (PDF) of financial interests (in Dutch)