Special Operations Executive
In 1939, Porter was sent to Bucharest, Romania on an academic post with the British Council but was quickly transferred to the Legation, and remained there until it was withdrawn from Romania on 12 February 1941. On 1 March 1941, Porter was recruited by SOE, and was one of a covert three-man mission that was parachuted into Romania in December 1943 to instigate resistance against the Nazis at "any cost" (Operation Autonomous). The SOE agents were captured and held as prisoners-of-war until, on 23 August 1944, King Michael of Romania carried out his anti-German coup d'état. Porter met King Michael that night and remained in the country during the King's desperate efforts to prevent Soviet domination. In June 2008 he was awarded the Cross of the Royal House of Romania.
He joined the Foreign Office in May 1946 and served in London, Washington, D.C., the U.K. delegation to NATO, Cyprus, as U.K. representative to the Council of Europe, and India. He was ambassador in Senegal (with concurrent accreditation in Guinea, Mali, and Mauritania) and to the Arms Control Committee in Geneva.
Porter wrote two books after retirement: Operation Autonomous: With SOE in Wartime Romania (ISBN 9780701131708) and Michael of Romania: The King and the Country (ISBN 9780750938471). Operation Autonomous was short listed for the Time-Life/Pen Award for non-fiction. In 2005 he was made Commander of the Romanian order of "Meritul Cultural".
- United Kingdom: Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George
- United Kingdom: Knight Officer of the Order of the British Empire
- Romanian Royal Family: 35th Knight of the Royal Decoration of the Cross of the Romanian Royal House
- The Foreign Office list and diplomatic and consular year book for ... - Great Britain. Foreign Office - Google Books. Books.google.ca. Retrieved 2012-06-08.
- "Ivor Porter (Obituary)". The Daily Telegraph. 19 June 2012. Retrieved 8 May 2013.
- Adams, Bernard (9 July 2012). "Ivor Porter: Diplomat and SOE operative who worked to liberate Romania from Nazi Germany". The Independent. Retrieved 8 May 2013.
- http://www.foreignaffairs.org/19900301fabook7058/ivor-porter/operation-autonomous-with-s-o-e-in-wartime-romania.html Foreign Affairs
- Fantini, Nestor (10 June 2012). "Homenaje a un héroe" (in Romanian). Huffington Post. Retrieved 8 May 2013.
- independent.co.uk, obituary also listing honours awarded
|British Ambassador to Senegal