Location of Ixonia, Wisconsin
|• Total||36.3 sq mi (93.9 km2)|
|• Land||35.8 sq mi (92.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.3 km2)|
|Elevation||866 ft (264 m)|
|• Density||120/sq mi (47/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||1583440|
The town of Ixonia was organized on February 12, 1841, as the town of Union. Five years later Union was divided into two new towns. The name "Ixonia" was given to one of the new towns on January 21, 1846; as the residents could not otherwise agree on a name, the name was chosen by drawing letters at random.
- Edwin Coe, newspaper editor and politician
- Jenkin Lloyd Jones, Unitarian minister and magazine editor
- Peter Morris, baseball player
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 36.3 square miles (93.9 km2), of which 35.8 square miles (92.7 km2) is land and 0.50 square miles (1.3 km2), or 1.35%, is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,902 people, 1,047 households, and 864 families residing in the town. The population density was 80.7 people per square mile (31.2/km²). There were 1,082 housing units at an average density of 11.6 persons/km² (30.1 persons/sq mi). The racial makeup of the town was 98.55% White, 0.07% African American, 0.21% Native American, 0.31% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.28% from other races, and 0.55% from two or more races. 0.90% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 1,047 households out of which 35.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 72.6% were married couples living together, 5.9% have a woman whose husband does not live with her, and 17.4% were non-families. 13.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.77 and the average family size was 3.05.
In the town, the population was spread out with 25.4% under the age of 18, 7.5% from 18 to 24, 28.4% from 25 to 44, 28.8% from 45 to 64, and 9.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 105.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 106.3 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $58,629, and the median income for a family was $60,184. Males had a median income of $41,190 versus $28,125 for females. The per capita income for the town was $23,979. 1.5% of the population and 1.2% of families were below the poverty line. Out of the total people living in poverty, 2.8% are under the age of 18 and 2.5% are 65 or older.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Ixonia town, Jefferson County, Wisconsin". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved October 9, 2012.
- History of the Town of Ixonia
- "Ixonia Heritage Book Index" Dodge/Jefferson Counties Genealogical Society
- 'Wisconsin Blue Book 1887,' Biographical Sketch of Edwin Coe, pg. 512
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Ixonia town, Jefferson County, Wisconsin". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved October 9, 2012.