Janos Pasztor (diplomat)
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (January 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Born||1955 (age 62–63)|
|Occupation||Senior Fellow at the Carnegie Council for Ethics in International Affairs & Executive Director of the Carnegie Climate Geoengineering Governance Initiative|
Janos Pasztor (born 1955) is a Hungarian diplomat. His current role is Senior Fellow at the Carnegie Council for Ethics in International Affairs and Executive Director of the Carnegie Climate Geoengineering Governance Initiative. He was Assistant Secretary-General in the Executive Office of the Secretary-General of the United Nations in New York City and Senior Adviser to the Secretary-General on Climate Change between January 2015 and December 2016. Previously he has held positions at the World Wide Fund for Nature International where he was Policy and Science Director and acting Director for Conservation.
Career in the UN
Pasztor has extensive experience of working in the United Nations with previous roles including (2010-2012) Executive Secretary of the UN Secretary-General’s High-level Panel on Global Sustainability (GSP); (2008-2010) Director of UN Secretary-General’s Climate Change Support Team; (2007) Director, UN Environment Management Group (EMG), United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP); (1993-2006) Various positions at the secretariat of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC), initially in Geneva, and later in Bonn. The last position was Coordinator, Project-based Mechanisms Programme; (1990-1992) Senior Programme Officer, Atmosphere and Energy, Secretariat of the United Nations Conference on Environment and Development (UNCED, or the “Earth Summit ‘92”); and (1986-1989) Energy Programme Officer, United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
Career outside of the UN
From 2012-2015 he was Policy and Science Director, and from May 2015 Acting Executive Director for Conservation at WWF International; (1989-1990) he was a Research Associate, Stockholm Environment Institute; (1985-1986) Senior Programme Officer, Energy at the World Commission on Environment and Development (the “Brundtland Commission”); (1984) Research Associate, The Beijer Institute; (1979 – 1983) Director, Energy for my Neighbour Programme, World Council of Churches (WCC).
Education and personal life
- "Janos Pasztor Appointed Senior Fellow and Director of New Carnegie Climate Geoengineering Governance Project «". carnegiecouncil.org. 2016-07-07. Retrieved 2017-12-04.
- "Secretary-General Appoints Janos Pasztor of Hungary as Assistant Secretary-General on Climate Change | Meetings Coverage and Press Releases". Un.org. 2015-01-16. Retrieved 2016-01-29.
- "Secretary-General Appoints Janos Pasztor of Hungary Senior Adviser to Secretary-General on Climate Change «". Foreignaffairs.co.nz. 2014-06-20. Retrieved 2016-01-30.
- "Ban Ki-moon appoints WWF's Janos Pasztor climate advisor". Retrieved 2018-06-15.
- "The United Nations Website - Home (GSP)". Un.org. Retrieved 2016-01-30.
- "Home". Unemg.org. 2015-09-24. Retrieved 2016-01-30.
- "Video of Brussels Presentation of final report from the High-level Panel on Global Sustainability". Unric.org. 2012-01-30. Retrieved 2016-01-30.
- "The Beijer Institute of Ecological Economics". Beijer.kva.se. Retrieved 2016-01-30.
- "Janos Pasztor". Forest Stewardship Council. Retrieved 2015-01-19.