|• Total||63.02 km2 (24.33 sq mi)|
|• Land||53.81 km2 (20.78 sq mi)|
|• Water||9.21 km2 (3.56 sq mi)|
|Area as of January 1, 2014.|
|Population (March 31, 2015)|
|• Density||1,100/km2 (2,900/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|ISO 3166 code||SE|
|Density is calculated using land area only.|
Järfälla has not been amalgamated with other municipalities in the two local government reforms carried out during the 20th century. The Stäket area in the north was, however, added in 1952.
Järfälla traces its history to the Stone Age and has some ruins from that time. After being Christianized in the 11th century, a church was built around the year 1200 that still stands today. Järfälla continued to be of some importance in the Middle Ages as several important roads went through it. Furthermore, the centre of the hundred was located within the boundaries of the municipality from 1675 to 1905.
Its coat of arms, which depicts a golden lamb carrying an archbishop's cross, can be traced from 1568, but was created in 1955. They may symbolize that Järfälla is situated on the road from the capital Stockholm to the seat of the archbishop in the nearby city of Uppsala.
The main population expansion came in the 1930s and 1940s, when many residential houses were built in the seat Jakobsberg for middle-class families commuting to Stockholm.
The municipality is served by the Stockholm public transport system. There are three Stockholm commuter rail stations, Barkarby, Jakobsberg and Kallhäll, as well as a bus network. As part of a larger plan for the Stockholm region, Barkarby station and Barkarbystaden will get metro stations, scheduled to open in 2021. The representatives for the municipalities signed the deal in January 2014, and on 3 March 2014 Järfälla municipal council made the formal decision to fulfill their part of the deal.
The following sports clubs are located in Järfälla:
- "Statistiska centralbyrån, Kommunarealer den 1 januari 2014" (Microsoft Excel) (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. Retrieved 2014-04-18.
- "Folkmängd i riket, län och kommuner 31 mars 2015" (in Swedish). Statistics Sweden. May 11, 2015. Retrieved May 11, 2015.
- [Stockholmsförhandlingen 2013 -- FAQ (Swedish) http://stockholmsforhandlingen.se/faq]
- [Järfälla kommun -- Beslut i kommun-fullmäktige om tunnelbana och 14 000 nya bostäder (Swedish) http://jarfalla.se/nyheter/nyheter-innevarande-ar/2014-03-06-beslut-i-kommun-fullmaktige-om-tunnelbana-och-14-000-nya-bostader.html]
- Järfälla Municipality - Official site